• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what should I do with my life?

7percent

Pascal Chimbonda
I'm 29, will be 30 this year, and living at home with my parents. I've never moved out, never went to Uni. I have no qualifications.

I've been working the same couple of part-time jobs for the last 7 or 8 years, making enough money to go to gigs, music festivals and get drunk a lot. I feel like I've wasted the last decade of my life.

I have 12k in savings, inheritance money from various relatives. I fantasise about using this money to start a little business and one day become financially comfortable, but I have no ideas. I also think if I save more instead of going to the pub I could add to that and put a deposit on a little place and finally move out. I think maybe what would serve me best is to get a career and earn some money- but I have no qualifications and going back into education scares me a little. Plus I wouldn't know what to do.

I'm listless (have been for years) and need a goal or some direction. What would you do if you were me? Have any of you ever found yourself in a situation such as mine?

That's a big one, kudos for daring to ask the question even if it's on a message board.

You need to ask yourself some important questions, they may seem silly, but they are important.

What kind of girl/guy do you want? Local? A bit more exotic? Blonde, dark? You need to venture where it is more likely to meet your masturbation fantasy.

Do you have any hobbies? I like golf. I live in the middle of Norway. It's -10'C here at the moment. These things do not add up. Pack up and see if you can get a job and settle down somewhere that suits you.

Spend a few bucks and try to land a job in a great place would be my advice. Good luck!

Trust me, you're not alone in asking questions like that.

I'm early 30s, have a Law Degree, a Business Degree and the knowledge foundation of ACCA but have no idea what to do next. I'm thinking about going in to financial contracts or auditing, it's the best way to utilise my skills but how? And, with very little experience, I work in a ****ty job now, how do I go about getting there?

Best thing to do 7percent, I think is to look at what skills you have, what you enjoy doing and whether this can be translated in to potential business success.

You need to have passion for something in order to make a success of it, well either that or one Hell of a lot of drive. Realise that you need to make decisions and take action yourself, rather than sitting back and waiting for things to happen as, trust me, they never will. Leaving home is always difficult, especially with the way that the World is now. I guess you have to ask yourself whether you can afford a place yourself or whether you need to rent somewhere? If you need to rent then it's better to move out nonetheless, as it will push you on to your two feet and then you can make decisions from there.

What job is it that you currently do? How long have you been doing that?

There's no reason to worry about education, I think I've over egged the basket but that's partly because I have **** A-Levels so struggled to get anywhere with them. I have a good mind but it's finding the right avenue to apply it within.

If there's a subject that you enjoy, that you can make a career out of, why not turn to education? With some courses, there is support funding for individuals with low incomes, so you needn't worry about the costs of the course if you can find one like that.

Basically, what do you like doing? What are you good at?/What skills do you have? What working experience do you have?

Start a youtube channel and get popular and rake it in.

Create a ridiculous song about what you do on a Saturday... clean teeth, get out of bed, watch the footy.... add some jingle in it, so that it's catchy but kinda weird at the same time. Live your life off the back of a one hit wonder.

I like the questions and suggestions from Rock Strongo.

Very difficult for us to give you good advice based on what you have given us so far, tell us some more about yourself.

Just a suggestion, but for me writing about what I think seems to help me organize my thoughts and reach some clarity, have you tried that? If you end up writing something you're comfortable sharing here then do, if there are things you want to keep to yourself perhaps share parts of it and you might get some good feedback from some of the awesome people on this forum! Even if it just ends up being for yourself spending some time really thinking about what you want and feel and organizing those thoughts in writing can't be that harmful. Get some of your dreams, where you would like to see yourself in the future and some of your fears in there.

The feeling of having wasted time of your life is not a good one. Try to look at it as a lesson learned and something to take with you into the rest of your life and don't let it get you down. What has happened in that past, mistakes made, that really is the past. The future you have some control over and that you can do something about.

The job/career issue seems to be the main one on your mind. Not an easy question to answer, again I would start with some of the questions Rock put up and work from that. What is important for you? What could you see yourself doing? What couldn't you see yourself doing?

I'm three quarters of the way through a book that my bro recommended to me called "the 4-hour work week" by Timothy Ferriss, I strongly recommend having a read. Basically the gist of it is to cut out as much of the crap that takes up your time as possible, come up with an idea but then automate as much as possible so you can then spend your time doing things you want to do - I've found it quite inspiring, haven't worked out how to enact it all yet but it's definitely got me thinking!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Fapatalk

Another tip that I would suggest is to get all the skills down on a bit of paper. I know that you've said that you are lacking in education, but if you write down all the educational certificates that you have achieved, in addition to life skills then you can start getting a template of your life.

The skills could include skills of team work, if you play for a football team, or other sports team. You could include projects perhaps where you have worked with others.

I'm suggesting this as a way to think of how to formulate a CV, as an alternative option to your idea of creating your own business. You should never give up your dream but always maintain options.

You could speak to a careers adviser with National Careers Service, contactable on 0800100900. You need to have some idea where your life is heading, as they provide suggestions around your goals, they won't tell you what you should do. They will also review any CV that you wish to create.

I'd start with not letting people get to you on trivial matters meaning you smoke a few ciggies to get over it (perhaps you need to change the company you keep?).

Keep yourself busy mate - when you are not busy, you get lazy IMO. And I mean worthwhile busy. If you do not have job then volunteer for good causes, it will help you get some self-worth.

Feel good about yourself - maybe try yoga too???

I'd start with not letting people get to you on trivial matters meaning you smoke a few ciggies to get over it (perhaps you need to change the company you keep?).

Keep yourself busy mate - when you are not busy, you get lazy IMO. And I mean worthwhile busy. If you do not have job then volunteer for good causes, it will help you get some self-worth.

Feel good about yourself - maybe try yoga too???

Definitely true. I think keeping busy comes from having drive and discipline, keep those two together and you should get it right. Try to do at least a couple of positive actions per day relating to your future. At first, it might seem hard as it's new to you but keep at it and it will soon become near a habit and you will find yourself happier to undertake more.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to go for a run and have a think and reply to you all in a bit.

You've given me a lot to think about and I'm feeling more positive than I did an hour ago.

have you been travelling before? if not GO TRAVELLING, seriously man with that money burning a hole in your pocket and what sounds like a life with little ties stopping you from sodding off for a while then id 100% tell you to do that.

12k can easily see you abroad for 12 months - it sounds like you don't have any particular idea what you want career wise so any route down that path will be less fulfilling and it's always something you can go back to in the future.

if i had 12k sitting in my bank account id be off in a shot (and im a similar age and circumstance to you, although i have a trade tbf)

How about starting your own party organiser. You have the funds to start up.. all it takes is a half decent website, a bit of training and your away. You could go and learn about Balloon training... I am sure there is a Balloon school out there.

http://www.balloontrainingacademy.co.uk/nabas-balloon-training-course-dates/

Other then starting a small business I would go learn a trade.. something like plumbing. Or try for something at British Gas as a trainee.

How about moving to the coast and starting up your own chippy... its a secret dream I have myself. They can be little gold mines in the right location.

Saw a bloke the other day flogging loaves to gullible women at between £3 and £4 a loaf. I was agog he was raking it in.
Loads of margin for a middleman there. Find a supplier who can stock you daily in the afternoon, then a spot at a local railway station at just flog fresh bread to tired commuters looking forward to getting home.

Invest half your money on a transit for moving your stock about. I the bread doesnt work then you can always pass yourself off as a man with a van, you'll never be short of work if you turn up on time and get a good client base of old ladies- advertise at bowls clubs and the like.

WORING HARD is great try it.

Forget uni and traditional careers - all the good money stuff is sewn up.

Back