• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What is 'the no 10' to YOU?

In terms of my own personal favourite no 10's from watching football over the years, a few of my favourite players to watch in terms of this role/position growing up and more recently (in no particular order):

Teddy Sheringham
Francesco Totti
Matt Le Tissier
Roberto Mancini
Alessandro Del Piero
Enrico Chiesa
Juan Riquelme
Manuel Rui Costa
Jay-Jay Okocha
Ronaldinho
Roberto Baggio
Raphael Van der Vaart
Henrik Larsson
Nico Kranjcar
Robbie Keane

There's probably loads i've missed off

A very good list I would add Nick Barmby to that as I really thought he was good when he came through with us.

Seem to recall Peter Beardsley doing well with Lineker when he played the number 10 role.

After the recent discussion in the Burnley match thread, I felt it was time to open this up as a topic because there are some very different opinions. To me, the no 10 is your creative dictator, the man through whom all the play flows in order to pull the strings.
Glenn Hoddle. The GREATEST 10 I have ever seen. Could dictate from deeper positions, could get into the box and score, could do basically whatever he wanted.
Platini. Another great no.10.
Zidane. A legendary no.10.
Maradona. A scary no 10 as he could do everything Hoddle could except with bursts of electric energy.
Gazza. A no 10 in the mould of Maradona.
Modric. A wonderful no 10 who pulled our strings for three seasons and allowed players like Bale the luxury of development into the exciting talent he has become.

Our greatest problem in AVB's first season and beyond was that we had no no 10.

And I would argue that Poch eventually sees Eriksen as being a no 10 in the Hoddle mould with a dash of Luka (not comparing, just differentiating).

Thoughts?

What would you call the Fabregas role at Chelscum?

Juat as a note. In the last Chelsea game Mikel and Matic played holding and Cesc did play as what I call a 10. Would be useful to compare heat maps from our game to that one.

I take the point made by Luton above, but usually fabregas plays in a two with Matic. So , if he is a deep lying playmaker, why does he have so many assists? Modders only assisted the assister. Cesc has a much freer role and plays more like an attacking AM dictating the play all over the park from the Middle just like Eriksen did against Burnley. Neither of them no 10s to my mind.

I take the point made by Luton above, but usually fabregas plays in a two with Matic. So , if he is a deep lying playmaker, why does he have so many assists? Modders only assisted the assister. Cesc has a much freer role and plays more like an attacking AM dictating the play all over the park from the Middle just like Eriksen did against Burnley. Neither of them no 10s to my mind.
Once again that is because of Matic. He is literally like 2 players. Also one of Mourinhos remits is to be more attractive at Chelsea and to score more goals. Their defense still isn't as solid due to Cesc going forward alot and leaving Matic to hold on his own. The last game this pattern was broken when Mikel and Matic sat deep.

Also Fabregas is a very special player. One of best triangle button passers around. Modric doesn't have that passing ability.

In terms of my own personal favourite no 10's from watching football over the years, a few of my favourite players to watch in terms of this role/position growing up and more recently (in no particular order):

Teddy Sheringham
Francesco Totti
Matt Le Tissier
Roberto Mancini
Alessandro Del Piero
Enrico Chiesa
Juan Riquelme
Manuel Rui Costa
Jay-Jay Okocha
Ronaldinho
Roberto Baggio
Raphael Van der Vaart
Henrik Larsson
Nico Kranjcar
Robbie Keane

There's probably loads i've missed off

Keane thought he was a 10 but I thought he was always better off the shoulder.

Modric played in a 4-4-2 system or 4-4-1-1 whereas fabregas mainly plays in the 2 of a 4-2-3-1 but much more direct. He also gets forward much more than a typical quarterback due to their dominance on the ball

A number 10 for me is the Gow between defence and attack in the final third. VDV was the epitome of that for me for us, as is Siggy at Swansea for example

They have to be able to offer a genuine goal threat in both creativity and scoring. Typically also they have minimal defensive capability. Most are also character players

Best in the prem that I could mention was Cantona

hagi was pure class.

to me a number 10 is someone like sheringham was. someone thats unselfish for the team and can link play.

erikson or lamela should be playing in our number 10 and scrap 442 away from home

Modric played in a 4-4-2 system or 4-4-1-1 whereas fabregas mainly plays in the 2 of a 4-2-3-1 but much more direct. He also gets forward much more than a typical quarterback due to their dominance on the ball

A number 10 for me is the Gow between defence and attack in the final third. VDV was the epitome of that for me for us, as is Siggy at Swansea for example

They have to be able to offer a genuine goal threat in both creativity and scoring. Typically also they have minimal defensive capability. Most are also character players

Best in the prem that I could mention was Cantona
We played a 4-2-3-1 in Redknapp's last season. For me the interplay between the three behind Ade and the advanced positions they took up clearly differentiated it for a 4-4-1-1.

For me it's a player who occupies that space between midfield and the front man, given licence to roam and combine with both area's to create attacking opportunities. The creative hub of the side in advanced positions that can pick that killer pass, make the right runs and score goals, though more likely to be a provider than a scorer of goals.

Diego, I seem to remember about 10 years ago, me and you arguing with somebody else, maybe algernon(?) and a few others, about what a playmaker is. We were saying that in our team Carrick was the playmaker, because, by definition, all the play went thru him. But the other side to the argument was that he was too deep to be a playmaker and that player had to be the attacking player who provides the creativity, of which we didn't really have at the time.

Anyway, I agree with Rossi and JTS' interpretation of a no.10 in this thread. I also completely agree that Modric was played out of position by Jose, he should have been alongside Alonso or alongside khedeira, either or, but modric should have been the first choice centre midfielder.

Bloody hell you've got a good memory! I remember it well! We were talking about Pirlo,Xavi, Guardiola and even my favourite De La Pena!

Good debates, wish I could read it back

I'd say in this country at least there seems to be a difference between a creative forward who drops deeper (10) than an attacking midfielder who plays in the hole who is traditionally a number 8 (Gazza, Scholes etc) but who cares - Merry Christmas you lot :)

Back