• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What ‘grinds your gears’?

Had an incident a few weeks back with a ref at my son's U11 game. I usually abhor any arguing with the ref but this fella was an absolute prick. He was nit-picking everything including the weight of the footballs and lads wearing snoods (I know). So he gives a foul for nothing. I say "he got the ball" and we have a few verbals with the ref saying he didn't get the ball. Not right but he got to me. Then he comes back a minute later and says "well, he might have got the ball but he was dangerous". Red rag, bull. "Oh right so now you're admitting he got the ball. Make up your mind, will you". Got a red card in front of all the parents. To be fair I deserved it but he was a rooster. Irony was I got in an argument two weeks before with opposition managers for them having a go at the ref.

Maybe I'm the problem...

Those absolute clams who take up two spaces with their car because they can't park properly. Boils my tinkle.

Ive been coaching football for over 15 years, first for my eldest team then my youngest. Youngest is now U16s and I like to think Ive got better over the years. However Saturdays game we go 1-0 up in first 15 mins thanks to my Son scoring from free kick. Then he gets sent off for saying "come on lads number 5 is brick". Im tinkled off as this doesnt usually happen, he could have given him a warning but no straight red. Means he now misses cup semi final this coming Saturday.

Ive been coaching football for over 15 years, first for my eldest team then my youngest. Youngest is now U16s and I like to think Ive got better over the years. However Saturdays game we go 1-0 up in first 15 mins thanks to my Son scoring from free kick. Then he gets sent off for saying "come on lads number 5 is brick". Im tinkled off as this doesnt usually happen, he could have given him a warning but no straight red. Means he now misses cup semi final this coming Saturday.

Christ, that's harsh for him. How has he taken it?

Coaching is something I find really tough as I'm just a dad volunteering whereas we've come up against some properly qualified coaches and you can see they're on a completely different level. I've gotten better for sure but I've realised how little I, and most people, know about the game the more I get into it.

Is that not a sin bin event currently?

Is that not a sin bin event currently?

That should be. Not seen a Sin bin once at U15 level my son plays at. Refs just book a player for verbals.

A Red seems massively harsh for that,you hear that stuff on pitches every week especially at U14s and up.

I applaud any volunteer coaches that do it every week. Thankless task. A good coach can change a young boys playing Path from going nowhere to somewhere. Fair play to them all.

Last edited:
That should be. Not seen a Sin bin once at U15 level my son plays at. Refs just book a player for verbals.

A Red seems massively harsh for that,you hear that stuff on pitches every week especially at U14s and up.

I applaud any volunteer coaches that do it every week. Thankless task. A good coach can change a young boys playing Path from going nowhere to somewhere. Fair play to them all.

I’ve never seen it either. I coach U10’s.

I was only made aware of them about a month ago though, local FA sent a “reminder”, been doing it for a couple of years and had never heard it mentioned before.

I’ve never seen it either. I coach U10’s.

I was only made aware of them about a month ago though, local FA sent a “reminder”, been doing it for a couple of years and had never heard it mentioned before.
I’m surprised that it starts that young. Thought it started with 11 a side.

The only way kids football will ever be civilised is to ban all parents from at least a 100 yards from the pitches, they are killing the games kids should be enjoying, it's about having fun with your mates not fulfilling sad parents shattered dreams. My son quit at 10 as he hated the bile of the parents and 30 years on it's worse at my grandsons games, I cant watch them as I know there would be trouble.

The only way kids football will ever be civilised is to ban all parents from at least a 100 yards from the pitches, they are killing the games kids should be enjoying, it's about having fun with your mates not fulfilling sad parents shattered dreams. My son quit at 10 as he hated the bile of the parents and 30 years on it's worse at my grandsons games, I cant watch them as I know there would be trouble.

I coached at Norwich for a while and some of the parents were a nightmare during the sessions, the club decided to tell them that if they wanted to attend they would have to stand a pitchs width away.

Maybe I'm the problem...
Could be. Snoods are illegal for a good reason (pulling someone back by the neck).

Last week was one of the "quiet weeks" where parents aren't allowed to shout and can only applaud.
It is not easy to stay quiet when you want to encourage and energise your kid.

When I was coaching U-15s (up to 2020) my first ‘pre-season training session’ I’d ask all the parents to come along. Before starting anything, I’d introduce myself, learn their names, tell them that myself and my asst were proud to be coaching the team and that we needed them to know the following
1) please don’t ‘coach’ from the sideline. We are doing specific things based on a season and also years down the road for their kids. I then said if parents insisted on ‘coaching’ from the sidelines, I’d happily hand off to them and leave it.
2) please encourage the team
3) please refrain from direct communication with your kid as they’re playing
4) please do not say a word about the refereeing
5) please do not get into it with any parents from the other team

I then told the team that I had explained what I needed from their parents and that they did not need to worry about being shouted at/hearing their parents tell them what to do. I would then tell my side that ANY complaints about a decision should be relayed to us at HT or in extreme cases, their captain, who would then go and politely ask the ref to clarify. No arguing. Anyone arguing got subbed. I also did all my coaching/big voice, etc, at training twice a week. On matchdays we’d be prepped and I’d only offer encouragement from the side or a couple of different ‘shape’ gestures. No yelling. Again, anything major, I’d call the skipper close and quickly tell them to pass on the info.

After every game, I’d send a report to the parents so as they understood what we were doing shape-wise and what we were trying to do overall. Convincing the sides (over several years) to play the ball from the back was the greatest challenge. I remember when we ‘high-pressed’ from the front one season; we played most of our games (literally!) ion the half-way line in their half. We had a smart and very fast central CB who could cover if the oppo managed a ball over the top of any decency. It was quite a season. Unbeaten and only two goals conceded all the way to the final, where we hit woodwork 4 times, camped in their half and got done by a deflected breakaway goal. Sound a little familiar?!!!!

They were fun times, we had some great players and not so great, but everyone improved their game and everyone enjoyed their seasons.

I could not agree more on the issue of parents vicariously living through their kids, utterly toxic.

Could be. Snoods are illegal for a good reason (pulling someone back by the neck).

Last week was one of the "quiet weeks" where parents aren't allowed to shout and can only applaud.
It is not easy to stay quiet when you want to encourage and energise your kid.

By your logic on snoods, long hair should also be "illegal" as you can pull someone back via a ponytail too.

Colour me intrigued. Are you referring to personal pronouns or just pronouns as a whole? Either way what annoys you about them?
Haha I was pretty vague. I'm hugely for inclusiveness and equality. I just find the pure volume of pronouns out there more splintering than inclusive TBH. With over 100 and people identifying as dogs and cats, it's extreme for me.

I also think that inclusiveness works two ways. My mum works for the NHS and we had a conversation recently about the pressure the Dr's in her practice have been under to proactively know someone's personal pronoun despite the personal clear biological makeup at that time and being taken to task by local trusts who have also been under pressure when complaints are made. I'm all for people identifying how they wish, but you have to work on the understanding that not everyone will proactively know what that is.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Haha I was pretty vague. I'm hugely for inclusiveness and equality. I just find the pure volume of pronouns out there more splintering than inclusive TBH. With over 100 and people identifying as dogs and cats, it's extreme for me.

I also think that inclusiveness works two ways. My mum works for the NHS and we had a conversation recently about the pressure the Dr's in her practice have been under to proactively know someone's personal pronoun despite the personal clear biological makeup at that time and being taken to task by local trusts who have also been under pressure when complaints are made. I'm all for people identifying how they wish, but you have to work on the understanding that not everyone will proactively know what that is.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Are there that many new personal pronouns though and do you frequently have to use them? I don't really get why people are overwhelmed by it all, the "they" rather than he or she can sometimes sound a bit odd grammatically and takes a bit of getting use to but apart from that isn't it just a case of referring to people how they want to be referred to?

Agree on the last sentence, people getting mis gendered conversationally isn't a new thing. Mistakes happen and hopefully they are just that, mistakes so shouldn't really get to a complaints stage, but it's like asking a fat lady when the baby is due (if you genuinely thought she may be pregnant), it's best to not assume sometimes!

Back