• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

United under Ole and ETH, Kompany at Burnley, McCarthy at Wolves, Steve Bruce everywhere, Kevin Keegan everywhere, McLaren, Strachan, Robson, Evans, Souness, Megson, Rodgers, Hughes, Trevor Francis, John Gregory.
Some of them were given time I think but the list is a real mishmash it’s hard to tell
Looks like a random list if I’m honest
So I’ll go back to the question.., what top side hasnt given a manager time and still been successful
Chelsea under Roman would be the one

Some of them were given time I think but the list is a real mishmash it’s hard to tell
Looks like a random list if I’m honest
So I’ll go back to the question.., what top side hasnt given a manager time and still been successful
Chelsea under Roman would be the one

Madrid, Bayern, Milan, Barca, Inter, Juve, Sevilla, Porto.

And yes Chelsea is a good example.

I agree on the time thing, but it has to be for the right person, its the right manager with time, not any manager with time, as we found with Jol and Poch.

From the man himself…. “You’ve gotta find the right man, and the jury’s out as to whether that’s me, mate.”

We’re not a top team
The table says we’re one of the top 5 teams in the PL, arguably the world’s top league.

And perhaps I should have posted why should ANY team ‘inevitably concede’? The fact that we are all beginning games assuming we will let goals in is a huge worry, especially since our central defenders are the strongest area of our team.

The table says we’re one of the top 5 teams in the PL, arguably the world’s top league.

Exactly right. Hence, we’re actually doing pretty well all things considered. The project is ahead of schedule.

And perhaps I should have posted why should ANY team ‘inevitably concede’? The fact that we are all beginning games assuming we will let goals in is a huge worry, especially since our central defenders are the strongest area of our team.

Yeah, duh. I’m saying that best way to stop conceding is to score more ourselves.

Wow…not sure I can really help you then. Pretty easy to understand that scoring when on top allows you to take control of a match.
I’m not sure it does if you stick rigidly to a porous system which allows other teams almost endless chances (see last night’s excellent MOTD2 analysis). Again, we’re back to Ossie’s days in charge; we scored tons of goals, we let in even more.

Something does have to change.

Think ange will have till about october to get an improvement (on the recent form). Really hope he can get it.

I’m a bit concerned by Ange’s analysis of that game. I missed the first 10 mins where we were apparently decent but Ange is talking like we played some decent stuff for the whole game.

From minute 10 to 60, they dingdonged us. At one point early in the second half, SKY flashed up a stat that said we’d had the first shot and The Dippers had the next 15. The difference there isn’t in the two boxes as Ange claims. They utterly dominated us and that’s what I saw in general play.

The last 30 was better to be fair so the subs did have an impact albeit you would say that Liverpool took their foot off the gas and as Roy Keane rightly said “the easiest thing in the world is to start playing at 4-0 down.”

I said it yesterday and I’ll say it again, this is the 5pursiest team we’ve had since Pleat and the worry is that yesterday the manager was deluding himself otherwise.

Last edited:
I’m not sure it does if you stick rigidly to a porous system which allows other teams almost endless chances (see last night’s excellent MOTD2 analysis). Again, we’re back to Ossie’s days in charge; we scored tons of goals, we let in even more.

The best example of what I’m talking about is Chelsea and Villa at home. 1-0 up in both…if we find the second, I’m confident we kill both of those games off. Instead, we concede stupid goals and go on to lose them. Similar to Saudi Sportswashing Machine recently, and then confidence is low and we go on to take a pasting there.

Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal recently have been different…I think we were on top against Arsenal but the other 2 clearly we were not. But we’re not playing those teams every week. One important thing is to get out attack clicking again and you’ll be surprised how much that helps our defenders.

It's not just that they are impatient, it's that they don't know what would be a successful season.
We look like we finish above Saudi Sportswashing Machine and utd, both with bigger budgets than us, both further along the development road and one of them was much lauded last season.
Villa are the only team that can possibly be said to have unexpectedly finished higher than us, and even that is very debatable.
So, we have progressed in terms of league position, style of play, the manager now has a very definite idea of who he wants to keep and who should be jettisoned and the squad is growing.
That is currently success for us.

Only jose and rainerie (sp) have came in and won the PL in their first season, jose had a decent base and threw £££££s at it, Leicester literally fluked it.
Sometimes think if we won the PL, CL and FA cup some would moan that we didn't win the league cup as well.

Back