• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

I feel like I could post pretty much every PC this guy does as I find something to enjoy in them all.
But this one seems a shorter summary of a few different topics and aspects of him that come across well.
It also has a re-emphasis from him about how summer transfers really do seem to have been first choices.

Meh...don't buy the media hype. That's not to say I don't love Ange or don't believe in him - none of us could have dreamed of a better start. The guy has brought unity to the fan base and given us a great brand of football.

But there's a narrative being pushed at the moment and people are grasping on to anything, like this, to support it. The test for Ange will be when he has to deal with bad results and he has to deal with unhappy players. As sure as we are Tottenham, those days will come and it's how he deals with those situations that will define his reign, not this sort of stuff.

I see a lot of nonsense stats at the moment. And, in my view, you can always tell the stats being pulled to push a narrative versus insightful stats by questioning if you'd ever heard the stat mentioned before. I've been following football for 40 years - I've never in all that time heard the "most points after 9 matches" stat. It's meaningless and it's bollox masquerading as insight. At one point, I saw a variation of it used to suggest we were better than the Woolwich Invincibles. I know we hate them but that side did the unthinkable - we've just had a great start to a season.

Ange has had a magnificent start. He's not put a foot wrong and it looks like Levy has gotten this one spectacularly right. But let's start making judgements when he's actually achieved something or when he's navigated the tricky waters that will come his way.

Outside of the commentary on the media hype (it's part of our clickbait world)

I think you are being dismissive unnecessarily, Ange has achieved something already
- He's implemented a playing style, something ETH 18 months in still hasn't done, something in the same timeframe (with arguably better and more players certainly) Poch hasn't
- He's compensated for the loss of the clubs best player of last generation and potentially best striker in the world today
- He's absorbed 4-6 new players to club/league into first 11
- He's had a start that gives the team a very good platform to build on
- He's removed the total negativity around the club and got everyone on same page
- He's managing the media (hence the hype)

You can chose to say none of that matters until the end of season but that simply isn't true, he may not have "delivered" anything but he's given us the best possible chance to, if he hadn't, there is a good chance that the opportunity would already be gone (see United & Chelsea examples, it will be extremely difficult for them to deliver anything even from this early point)

I think you are being dismissive unnecessarily, Ange has achieved something already
- He's implemented a playing style, something ETH 18 months in still hasn't done, something in the same timeframe (with arguably better and more players certainly) Poch hasn't
- He's compensated for the loss of the clubs best player of last generation and potentially best striker in the world today
- He's removed the total negativity around the club and got everyone on same page

You can chose to say none of that matters until the end of season but that simply isn't true, he may not have "delivered" anything but he's given us the best possible chance to, if he hadn't, there is a good chance that the opportunity would already be gone (see United & Chelsea examples, it will be extremely difficult for them to deliver anything even from this early point)
I agree 100%
The reason people are commenting is because it’s not a fluke we’re top
It’s a combination of many things but Ange is key to most of them

Fair enough, I get the argument. But it’s not much more impressive than what OGS achieved early on with Man U. No manager goes through their reign without hitting some bumps and Ange will hit his. And how he deals with that is much more important than anything that’s happened to date.

Mourinho had us top at the start of December. We limped to 7th place that year. If we finished 7th this season, would people view it as success?

Ange has done brilliantly so far. I love the guy and love what he’s doing. The stadium is a different place to be these days. But he’s had everything go his way. Some of that has been of his own making, some of it dumb luck. Either way, we need to look at the bigger picture and stay grounded. Otherwise, the build up will only serve to make the fall much steeper.

Fair enough, I get the argument. But it’s not much more impressive than what OGS achieved early on with Man U. No manager goes through their reign without hitting some bumps and Ange will hit his. And how he deals with that is much more important than anything that’s happened to date.

Mourinho had us top at the start of December. We limped to 7th place that year. If we finished 7th this season, would people view it as success?

Ange has done brilliantly so far. I love the guy and love what he’s doing. The stadium is a different place to be these days. But he’s had everything go his way. Some of that has been of his own making, some of it dumb luck. Either way, we need to look at the bigger picture and stay grounded. Otherwise, the build up will only serve to make the fall much steeper.
He has had a brick hand to deal with
he really hasn’t had it go his way

sell the best player
no DOF
pre season games cancelled

we havent had the luck in games that people think too.

var has gone against us rather than for us generally

no pens despite spending more time in the oppo penalty box

daft scheduling despite not being in Europe

but,… he just cracks on
uses the players he has
and wins

The only reason we have a chance: Ange. Dier and Royal our new pairing at he back, you wouldn’t think it possible but with Ange there is a system and both are trained to play it.

We were too pumped tonight and lost the game in 5 mins of madness. I hope the manager can analyse what happened and prepare the team. The kind of game management that conte was versed at. For those 5 mins we needed to stop trying to play quickly and manage the game.

Yet there isn’t a manger you’d back more than Postecoglou to get Dier and Royal playing well. On a night of spectacular naivety you still admire Anges singular laser focus. We knew we might lose a few points because of his uncompromising approach. We just didn’t think it would happen like this.

Reactions: DTA
You were saying.....
I stick by it. And this is a hell of a bump. For all the deserved praise tonight, losing Romero and VdV is massive as is the potential loss of Maddison. Those are the 3 players we could least afford to lose. I’m intrigued to see how Ange copes with this.

His interview tonight was class as well and bodes well. Stayed consistent unlike Poundland Pep or that gurning prick who dresses like a hobo.

I stick by it. And this is a hell of a bump. For all the deserved praise tonight, losing Romero and VdV is massive as is the potential loss of Maddison. Those are the 3 players we could least afford to lose. I’m intrigued to see how Ange copes with this.

His interview tonight was class as well and bodes well. Stayed consistent unlike Poundland Pep or that gurning prick who dresses like a hobo.

Who's the "gurning prick who dresses like a hobo"??

I was just suggesting the timing of your comment was, or is, ironic (prophetic,) given tonight's events.

It really is a test. We were all fearful of just one of the CHs going on the missing list! Not both!
Udogie misses a game. Is Davies still injured. Biss one card from a suspension. Madders injured?. Porro rolled his ankle but looked ok?

But as one door closes...another opens for someone.

The main worry is...we've been scoring ok BUT that was on a foundation of a remarkable defence. 3 will be missing vs Wolves.

If you haven’t seen it, go look up Ange’s answer when asked if “managers should get together through the LMA and teach refs how to ref a game.” It’s fudging epic and it really means something. Can’t link it here as I’m in a queue for a red eye and on my phone.

For a lot of fans these days, football is about “show me your trophies” and the memes. Not for me. What Ange articulated in that answer was everything I want football to be and everything I want our club to be.

I think it helps that Ange comes from the real world because he talks like a real person. I’d run through a brick wall for him, I can only imagine how motivated the players must be.

If you haven’t seen it, go look up Ange’s answer when asked if “managers should get together through the LMA and teach refs how to ref a game.” It’s fudging epic and it really means something. Can’t link it here as I’m in a queue for a red eye and on my phone.

For a lot of fans these days, football is about “show me your trophies” and the memes. Not for me. What Ange articulated in that answer was everything I want football to be and everything I want our club to be.

I think it helps that Ange comes from the real world because he talks like a real person. I’d run through a brick wall for him, I can only imagine how motivated the players must be.
This one?

He is spot on and you just have to love the man. The more criticism of refs that there is, the more VAR we will get and we will move further away from the on-pitch referee having control of the game. Now that might be what some people would like to see but it fundamentally changes the way football is watched and played. He also manages to call out the moaning managers and points to a need for refs to be suitably skilled (aka competent), all in a positive way.
Have skilled referees, and accept and respect their authority.
And as an aside he has also cleverly set the talking point for the next week.

This one?

He is spot on and you just have to love the man. The more criticism of refs that there is, the more VAR we will get and we will move further away from the on-pitch referee having control of the game. Now that might be what some people would like to see but it fundamentally changes the way football is watched and played. He also manages to call out the moaning managers and points to a need for refs to be suitably skilled (aka competent), all in a positive way.
That’s it but he went a bit further saying “you know, we get a penalty or red card against us, so be it. Let’s pick ourselves up and attack again.”

Will try link the longer version later.

This one?

Full answer is at about 4:50 here. Worth a listen.

Full answer is at about 4:50 here. Worth a listen.

Like everyone else I've been super impressed with everything Ange has done so far but, wow, the guy is even more impressive in defeat than victory.

If two reds, a penalty against and two of our best players getting injured is what it takes for us to lose at home to Chelsea then we're in a very strong position.

Thought Ange, the players and the fans responded brilliantly. Couldn't have asked for more.

There was always going to be set backs. I would have expected set backs where fewer things went wrong. That probably will also happen.

Onwards. With this attitude, with this style, with this class.

Back