• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

I agree and some will see it as over the top but the fact that we've been able to turn it around so quickly is amazing.

I still think we'll finish 7th or 8th but if we do it playing the kind of football we saw in the second half against Man Utd, that will go down as a big success for me this season. This isn't a one year project...it's going to take 2, 3 or 4 years to become title contenders and even then it's unlikely to happen.

Add a cup this season and we'll be laughing.

Exactly, I'm excited and optimistic but within my own expectations which like you is a top 7/8 finish but showing strides in development, so I'm not going to temper that. I'm sure there will be plenty of told ya so moments, that's par for the course, but so be it, everyone's got their own expectations and will judge based on those.

I agree and some will see it as over the top but the fact that we've been able to turn it around so quickly is amazing.

I still think we'll finish 7th or 8th but if we do it playing the kind of football we saw in the second half against Man Utd, that will go down as a big success for me this season. This isn't a one year project...it's going to take 2, 3 or 4 years to become title contenders and even then it's unlikely to happen.

A combination of us being better than most give us credit for and others not being as good as they are being made out to be make me think we will be between fifth and third.

It's a very small sample size but even still a lot of what you want to see early doors is on display so it is encouraging, you can only only evaluate what you have seen afterall.

A tough away game followed by match-up against a side looking to finish top 4, so in terms of opposition it's a good yardstick as well.

I get that, and obviously boiling a 100 min game down to 10 mins is going to lose something, but to start off with an incident so out of context undermines the rest of the video.
Imho a narrative is being painted that utd were clearly the better team in the first half, I find that difficult to swallow. They maybe shaded it, maybe, but were definitely not clearly better.
I think they were better by a reasonable margin in the first half until maybe 30 to 35 minutes in, when the game evened out.

I think they were better by a reasonable margin in the first half until maybe 30 to 35 minutes in, when the game evened out.
They were the side with the ball more during that period
But they only hit the target once in that time frame from memory (Rashford very early)
They smothered midfield to keep the ball but created very little
We adapted once their system faltered and the game opened up
That’s when we got well on top and they didn’t get out of their half
The penalties could have changed the game
I still say the handball was a penalty IMO and so was the kick on Romero
The fact their keeper made more touches than players like Mount says a lot to me

But they only hit the target once in that time frame from memory (Rashford very early)
The fact their keeper made more touches than players like Mount says a lot to me

And our second half was alot more dominant than their first TBH

We won 2-0 anyway, we move on and they and their fans are having a meltdown and accessing their whole situation, that's telling IMO

Work in progress ( i know we have said that a couple of times before), however there does seem to be a upward progress and the new players seem to be enjoying the game . Long way to go and there WILL be downturns but there is also a lot of promise and we have to trust that it will continue.

What i will say its nice to walk away after games with a smile on my face.

As I oftened said about our defeats under Jose and content, it's the not wins, it's the manner of the wins.
Intrigued that ange tweaked his system by dropping a bit deeper and we didn't press as full on as I expected. For me we looked nervous because of the tweaks, once we settled the confidence soared and we played with a determination and swagger I've not seen for a long, long time.
Without getting carried away this looks like a new team, a new squad and almost a new club.
We've had some fantastic players that I've felt were happy to be here because they weren't pushed, no expectations to win, I don't see this in this squad.
Not saying we win the PL, but the cups and top four should be very achievable.
I think we look a team that are going to benefit from the 1 game a week season. Not only giving Ange all that training ground time and breathing space but just the pent up energy come GameDay from such a young group.
Logically you'd think it would help with keeping the injury list light as well.

I think thats the lucky thing from Anges POV.
Just entertaining is going to go a long way to keeping us onboard. His personality is massively helping as well.

Exactly, I'm excited and optimistic but within my own expectations which like you is a top 7/8 finish but showing strides in development, so I'm not going to temper that. I'm sure there will be plenty of told ya so moments, that's par for the course, but so be it, everyone's got their own expectations and will judge based on those.
I'm hoping we make it back into Europe...as the squad grows and we want to develop the young recruits and academy standouts, the extra games will help with that.

What I would also be delighted with...is this 'back-up' team or rotated team then playing with just as much confidence and swagger as the PL team. We have so not had that.

Work in progress ( i know we have said that a couple of times before), however there does seem to be a upward progress and the new players seem to be enjoying the game . Long way to go and there WILL be downturns but there is also a lot of promise and we have to trust that it will continue.

What i will say its nice to walk away after games with a smile on my face.

Work in progress is fine so long as we see progression. So far we have on last season and everyone seems happy. Other clubs maybe less so.

2 games in though. Lets see come jan.

To say they only hit the target once doesn't tell the whole story (if that is indeed true) they created the better chances in that first at half and should have scored at the very least the Fernandes chance. In fact, despite our good play in the second half overall Man U had a higher xG than us.

It was a good performance second half and Ange has definitely got us on the right path as I thought he would. But let's not go OTT - had Man U gone ahead like they should have, it would have been a very different game and even once we went 1-0 Anthony hit the post straight after, those fine margins were on our side that day.

There's nothing wrong with being positive and it's great just to see everyone enjoying watching us play again. But seeing YouTube videos released based on a draw at Brentford and beating a pretty average Man U side is a bit much - is the DVD out yet?:D....

To say they only hit the target once doesn't tell the whole story (if that is indeed true) they created the better chances in that first at half and should have scored at the very least the Fernandes chance. In fact, despite our good play in the second half overall Man U had a higher xG than us.

It was a good performance second half and Ange has definitely got us on the right path as I thought he would. But let's not go OTT - had Man U gone ahead like they should have, it would have been a very different game and even once we went 1-0 Anthony hit the post straight after, those fine margins were on our side that day.

There's nothing wrong with being positive and it's great just to see everyone enjoying watching us play again. But seeing YouTube videos released based on a draw at Brentford and beating a pretty average Man U side is a bit much - is the DVD out yet?:D....
I think Ange himself has pretty much called it exactly as you have seen it.

I think Ange himself has pretty much called it exactly as you have seen it.

I think he's hit the right level in his interviews, not going over the top, acknowledging our opponents were on top in periods yet praising our players for showing courage to keep doing what he wants. I always believe it's how you handle set backs that show the measure of people and we'll see then.

IMG_2386.png

The Xg is wrong
It includes the Rashford chance where he was offside

and you forgetting we hit the post and bar

and both sides could and should have had a penalty

undetstat which is IMO a better XG data set has us ahead in Xg… including the offside chance
IMG_2386.png

The important thing is the players look to have bought into the style of play and philosophy and a good start will help support this.

We have a higher ceiling as none of the front 3 have hit their straps yet.

Have always felt one game week remains a huge advantage, other than the mental aspect if we lose a game!

The big test for me will be how the tactics fare against the other front foot top teams, especially away from home.

The important thing is the players look to have bought into the style of play and philosophy and a good start will help support this.

We have a higher ceiling as none of the front 3 have hit their straps yet.

Have always felt one game week remains a huge advantage, other than the mental aspect if we lose a game!

The big test for me will be how the tactics fare against the other front foot top teams, especially away from home.

Absolutely, the training ground time is only going to benefit Ange in season one

Back