• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

Davies will be fine in a back 4. It's wide in a 5 he can't do.

I quite like the balance of Davies and Royal as defensive options, and Spence and Udogie as offensive ones, and potentially mixing and matching across those 4, depending on the opposition.
You haven't been paying attention. Davies at LB is finished. He simply can't do it anymore, players run past him like he isn't there. The more tucked in LCB in a three suits him very well now. As Gazza mentioned he wasn't bad as LWB either. LB much less so, it's the most physically demanding role of the three and he just doesn't have the legs for it anymore.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Davies will be fine in a back 4. It's wide in a 5 he can't do.

I quite like the balance of Davies and Royal as defensive options, and Spence and Udogie as offensive ones, and potentially mixing and matching across those 4, depending on the opposition.

I like Davies, but just don't think he has the pace to be playing at full-back for a team that wants to push up. E.g.

He can get away with LWB and his link up play is actually not too shoddy and his pace is less exposed. He is a better and dare I say more dependable squad option as LCB in a 4 than Lenglet IMO, I don't see the value in swapping out one for the other just for the sake of a transfer. His first instinct in the back is defence and he wants to defend, ita abit of a throw back attitude and its not thriling but much prefer that from my CB than someone with a racking crossfield ball as their main attribute. Regardless its too close a call for their to be long protracted negotiation for a like for like.

You haven't been paying attention. Davies at LB is finished. He simply can't do it anymore, players run past him like he isn't there. The more tucked in LCB in a three suits him very well now. As Gazza mentioned he wasn't bad as LWB either. LB much less so, it's the most physically demanding role of the three and he just doesn't have the legs for it anymore.

Hasn't it been nearly 4 years since he's tried it with us?

He plays there with Wales, and tends to do a brilliant job carrying Rodon and Mepham.

I think it a wonky paired with Spence, he's actually almost a third CB anyway

Hasn't it been nearly 4 years since he's tried it with us?

He plays there with Wales, and tends to do a brilliant job carrying Rodon and Mepham.

I think it a wonky paired with Spence, he's actually almost a third CB anyway
He's had the occasional game here and there and it's not been pretty.

So, Ange generally likes lots of movement, minimal touches and quick short passes in defence and midfield.
I have a got feeling he'll really like Winks. And might even get a lot from him. They seem like a really good match.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Fapatalk

So, Ange generally likes lots of movement, minimal touches and quick short passes in defence and midfield.
I have a got feeling he'll really like Winks. And might even get a lot from him. They seem like a really good match.

I just can't see Winks fitting into the team.
He will keep the ball moving, but weak defending and isn't creative.

The idea that we go on in to the new season with Winks and Dier starting is already testing my newfound attempt to be positive about Spurs (for a change).

I like Winks and wish him the best but it'd be some turnaround of form / circumstance to get back in. HG / academy trained status is less of a deal whilst we're out of Europe so that's one less string to his bow..

The idea that we go on in to the new season with Winks and Dier starting is already testing my newfound attempt to be positive about Spurs (for a change).

I like Winks and wish him the best but it'd be some turnaround of form / circumstance to get back in. HG / academy trained status is less of a deal whilst we're out of Europe so that's one less string to his bow..
No worry, it's not all bad. Ndombele will help keep you entertained! :D:D

We do have a lot to clear out:
Lloris
Dier
Tanganga
Sanchez
Sessegnon (unless Ange uses LW back up)
Winks or PEH*
Ndombele

That's a huuuuge wage bill to clear. So you can see why Levy might be cautious!

On the plus side I don't think we need a huge amount

Vicario (FF)
Royal/Spence
Romero (keep Dier/Tang?)
2 x new.
Udogie (Davies)
MF 3:
Bentancur, Skipp, Bissouma, Sarr (one of Winks, Ndombele or PEH - all of whom could do a squad job).
Could do with one good player in there to come in, depending on where we think Sarr is at.

Att:
Son
Kulu,
Porro
Kane,
Richi
That's 5 for three places and looks strong.
Gil, Parrot, Scarlett, Devine (CM development?) - decisions to made.

So two CBs and a CM that's adds something and we look really good, with potential for massive growth in a couple of years.

Winks/PEH/Ndombele.
If no purchase upgrade comes along, I think they could all do something across the season.
People say winks isn't creative or defensive - he doesn't need to be. The formation does the defending and sets up the shape for the attacking players. Winks moves the ball simply and tidyly really well - I think that'll appeal to Ange. Not saying isn't a guarantee - but wouldn't be surprised.

Looking at our forwards, if Maddison comes expect it to be him and Bentancur in CM with Skipp holding.
Bissouma as Bentancur back up.
Where that leaves PEH, Sarr and Winks - no idea.
CM is very disjointed in the current squad.

Lloris
Dier
Tanganga
Sanchez
Winks or PEH*
Ndombele

Vicario (FF)
Royal/Spence
Romero (keep Dier/Tang?)
2 x new.
Udogie (Davies)
MF 3:
Bentancur, Skipp, Bissouma, Sarr (one of Winks, Ndombele or PEH - all of whom could do a squad job).
Could do with one good player in there to come in, depending on where we think Sarr is at.

Att:
Son
Kulu,
Porro
Kane,
Richi

So two CBs and a CM that's adds something and we look really good, with potential for massive growth in a couple of years.

Winks/PEH/Ndombele.
If no purchase upgrade comes along, I think they could all do something across the season.
People say winks isn't creative or defensive - he doesn't need to be. The formation does the defending and sets up the shape for the attacking players. Winks moves the ball simply and tidyly really well - I think that'll appeal to Ange. Not saying isn't a guarantee - but wouldn't be surprised.

Looking at our forwards, if Maddison comes expect it to be him and Bentancur in CM with Skipp holding.

Not sure Ndombele fits the high intensity football Ange likes. He was Mr Long Covid before Covid existed

Lloris
Dier
Tanganga
Sanchez
Winks or PEH*
Ndombele

Vicario (FF)
Royal/Spence
Romero (keep Dier/Tang?)
2 x new.
Udogie (Davies)
MF 3:

Att:
Son
Kulu,
Porro
Kane,
Richi

Winks/PEH/Ndombele.

An entirely fair summary, don't disagree with a huge amount apart from PEH maybe being underated, a lot of posters have him down as always being on the edge of being sold / demoted to back up but he's consistently started when fit throughout his time here. I'm a big fan of Skipp and hope Sarr can fulfill his promise but Pierre has imo consistently shown he is way ahead. That could absolutely change but he's pretty handy going forward which if we do play a three he'll have more license to do so.

Hopefully we can get some sales sorted out and not have to write off contracts or have the deadwood sat around training with the kids, we talk about a clear out every season but it actually takes other clubs to buy the players we don't want ( I appreciate that's a blindingly obvious point!)

An entirely fair summary, don't disagree with a huge amount apart from PEH maybe being underated, a lot of posters have him down as always being on the edge of being sold / demoted to back up but he's consistently started when fit throughout his time here. I'm a big fan of Skipp and hope Sarr can fulfill his promise but Pierre has imo consistently shown he is way ahead. That could absolutely change but he's pretty handy going forward which if we do play a three he'll have more license to do so.

Hopefully we can get some sales sorted out and not have to write off contracts or have the deadwood sat around training with the kids, we talk about a clear out every season but it actually takes other clubs to buy the players we don't want ( I appreciate that's a blindingly obvious point!)
That's a fair point re: PEH. I guess I see the three as having one sitter, one box to boxer and one with a bit of flair that pushes forwards as the full backs tuck in to flood midfield. I don't see how PEH fits. Although based on last season, where did Bissouma sit?!
So many variables in there. The main ones being how Ange will actually play! It's unlikely to be exactly as at Celtic.

I think that's a big reason we are getting the two areas we know are an issue sorted - GK and CB.
The rest I guess Ange will asses over two or three weeks.

I agree. A while back now but he turned Massimo Luongo into the best midfielder in Asia and has had a similar impact on a bunch of Japanese midfielders. I think Winks could become a reliable player for him.

I just can't see Winks fitting into the team.
He will keep the ball moving, but weak defending and isn't creative.
I just can't see Winks fitting in with the South stand mindset.

Back