• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

We blew it!

We'll never be as big of a club like the arse. They're usually one step ahead, trophies we can't catch, new stadium, money, now the best (taco) manager in the PL.
But we're moving forward quickly and that is good enough for me. City will never be United but they still give them competition

Sorry Mr 92... I don't agree at all. Football is cyclical. We will have our day in the sun again... they will have a period of relative decline. gonad*s have they got the best manager... we have. Trophies we can't catch? Again, gonad*s. Course we can... they have won the league more times than us... but we have won in Europe... we can win the FA Cup again, the League Cup, whatever. We are moving forward quickly again, I agree, but stuff the 'never be as big of a club like the arse'. That's loser talk

agreed, we need to have an arrogance about us that destroys the confidence of those teams, you see them turn up at Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and the like and they are beaten before they have even left the dressing room

I wonder if it is a mentality thing? Chelsea have had that instilled in them by Jose and have the players there still from that day that have that arrogance and confidence. At Old Trafford we all know it was Fergie who inspired his team and the players with experience as well. The players that we bought don't quite have that in them and have come from mid-table teams - although they are very good players. Demebele and Demspey from Fulham, Sig from Swansea, etc etc.

Do you remember the effect that Davids had on the team when he came in for that season? We need some more like him.

We need our players to become more ruthless and more arrogant. We can start seeing that a bit in Bale - but we need the whole team to believe this.

if you study those teams you will find that the bottom teams are different amongst themselves, but its more industrial and physical. its about being effective, not efficient.

i think AVB has yet to learn how to deal with these sort of teams.

the lack of depth (in the right areas) is a weakness in the squad that may prevent AVB from a suitable response against different teams (we seem to play the same way unless faced with no choice - injuries), however my view is that AVB himself gives opponents too much respect.

for instance we tend to always play a high line and high pressure game, but that's always going to be difficult for teams going for a goal-less draw who park the bus. its a game of chance, and its very tiring for both teams, but the risk is greater for the attacking team getting frustrated or worse, allowing the opposition to score soft goals (e.g. over the top, set pieces).

I don't think we need to have a totally different gameplan (which be possible withe sufficient personnel) but maybe play differently for each 15/30-min segments, before or after we score a goal etc...

one thing that struck me was how we didn't use counter-attacking play enough, considering the speedy players we have, when it was an easy option.

on the other hand perhaps AVB is hell bent on removing some aspect of our play, and I appreciate that. I imagine that due to the lack of personnel, he is tearing his hair out balancing such thinking against what we have in the squad. that said he does seem to have bent over quite a lot for us, compared to his short tenure at chelsea.

but i'm confident that AVB is learning, will learn, and will be a better manager for us next season. i hope levy feels the same way and allows him some flexibility in getting the players he needs.

We'll never be as big of a club like the arse. They're usually one step ahead, trophies we can't catch, new stadium, money, now the best (taco) manager in the PL.
But we're moving forward quickly and that is good enough for me. City will never be United but they still give them competition

flimflam.

Arsenal got ahead by getting results when the serious money started rolling into football and spending that money well, particularly on their stadium. But they're nowhere near as unassailable as United, Barca, Real and Bayern for example seem.

If we can complete our stadium plans we won't be far behind financially I think.

Back