• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Virgin v Sky

another + for Virgin is the broadband speeds, not sure what your internet use is like but sky uses the standard BT telephone network which will probably give you around 8Mbps, Virgin use Fibre optic cable and can offer 100Mbps.

Call Sky and tell them you're considering switching to Virgin because it's much cheaper. They'll knock a fair bit off your price.

Indeed! I've done in the past that if you can go without sky for a couple of months, they soon get on the phone to you and offer half price sky sports
for the year on a monthly basis. They also offered £100 m&s vouchers - though, i'm still waiting for these two years later :(

Just got off the phone to them.

They have given me 20% off my bill for a year.

SpursLodge - i am with Virgin for my broadband.. They are doubling my speeds next year when its available in my area

Just got off the phone to them.

They have given me 20% off my bill for a year.

SpursLodge - i am with Virgin for my broadband.. They are doubling my speeds next year when its available in my area

Spursman....in your first post you said you had everything (inc bb)?? are you paying sky £123 a month without broadband?? that appears a lot if so

If I could, I'd switch to Virgin in a heartbeat. Always been very impressed with their customer service, whereas Sky have always treated their customers like brick. Bunch of ****s.

going by some stories on moneysavingexpert.com,you get better deals with sky than virgin, if you are with sky you've got to actually leave for a month or so but they send you some bumff asking you to come back,you can save upto £40 a month in some cases.

another + for Virgin is the broadband speeds, not sure what your internet use is like but sky uses the standard BT telephone network which will probably give you around 8Mbps, Virgin use Fibre optic cable and can offer 100Mbps.
I get around 13Mbps from the 20Mbps Sky internet, but they offer Sky Fibre now, which piggybacks BT's Infinity fibre-optic offering. Still not as fast as Virgin, but getting faster. Much prefer the Sky+ interface to the Virgin one but would like more tuners as I often get viewing clashes as you can only watch/record two channels in total. You can get a 1Tb SkyHD box now as well as the standard one though.

no im with virgin for my phone and broadband which is £41 a month. Sky is around £82

Oh OK. IIRC the other good thing about phoning Sky and getting a 6/12mnth reduction is they don't tie you into another contract for the privilege.

Have you thought about bombing the movie channels?

Also does virgin have a 'SkyGO' equivalent service? This is useful.

I was with Sky for 7 years until this Spring and moved for a number of reasons to Virgin.

Firstly, they were cheaper, 6 months half price on an 18 month contract and then they were still £15 a monh cheaper after that. Their broadband is better (paying for 100mb and getting 88mb normally). Their Tivo box is great for getting suggestions to you and allowing two channels to record whilst watching a third. Also, ESPN and their collection of channels are included in the price.

Sky do have additional channels in Sky Sports 3/4 in HD and Atlantic ... but thats a small difference. Also, 3D television at the moment is nowhere near what it should be and I dont want to sit and watch TV with an additional pair of glasses on my head, so not too fussed by that.

I work for Sky as in installer , Broadband speeds arent the best at all but they are improving, hearing of Fibre Optic speeds soon . Be interesting to see the plans that BT have got with the Premiership and where its going to affect both Virgin and Sky customers , its bad enough having to fork out for ESPN , now they throwing this new BT deal at us , more bleeding expense no doubt !

Back