• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

Jannsen hasn't had a whole season playing, he's been a bit part player.
I'm watching MOTD at the moment and every game has had at least one striker miss a chance they should have scored, it happens.
The fact poch keeps saying that it's the team that are winning not individuals and during a recent interview about our injuries he went out his way to include lamela indicates that poch sees a bigger picture than our headline players.

That isn't because of long periods of injury, but because the manager, who trains he every day, doesn't rate him enough. He's hasn't been selected and when he has he hasn't been able to score. I don't want to be totally dismissive of other peoples opinions, but let's not lose grip of reality here. If he doesn't start scoring right now, he's done. He most likely already is. It's the same situation with GKN, who many think because he's young (which for a footballer he isn't really), he'll be given another season. I understand why people are willing Vinny to turn it around, but the reality is it virtually never, ever happens. I honestly can't think of a non youth striker, who came to the Prem, couldn't score and then the following season could. That's why I say we shouldn't lose grip of reality and the idea of patience leading to great turn arounds if nothing more than a fan conception. That's just objective reality, no emotion etc. Poch isn't paid to be sentimental. VJ either bags some goals in the next few weeks or he's finished here.

That isn't because of long periods of injury, but because the manager, who trains he every day, doesn't rate him enough. He's hasn't been selected and when he has he hasn't been able to score. I don't want to be totally dismissive of other peoples opinions, but let's not lose grip of reality here. If he doesn't start scoring right now, he's done. He most likely already is. It's the same situation with GKN, who many think because he's young (which for a footballer he isn't really), he'll be given another season. I understand why people are willing Vinny to turn it around, but the reality is it virtually never, ever happens. I honestly can't think of a non youth striker, who came to the Prem, couldn't score and then the following season could. That's why I say we shouldn't lose grip of reality and the idea of patience leading to great turn arounds if nothing more than a fan conception. That's just objective reality, no emotion etc. Poch isn't paid to be sentimental. VJ either bags some goals in the next few weeks or he's finished here.

Berkamp and Henry had poor starts didn't they and they were far more experienced that Jansenn

Jamie Vardy?

It's small margins. If he had just lifted that shot a little after he rolled his defender in the box then it would've skipped over Gomes' leg. If he'd just gone a little later for the first Trippier cross then he'd likely have knocked it in.

He's not world class and I'm on the fence at the moment. There's a big part of me that see's keeping him on for another season as a good idea, hoping that he settles and gets some goals. There's another part of me that worries that he won't make the grade even with more time and knows that next year we really need quality in order to challenge on multiple front's.

Berkamp and Henry had poor starts didn't they and they were far more experienced that Jansenn

Bergkamp scored 11 goals and Henry scored 17 goals in their first Prem seasons. They can't be compared to someone who hasn't been able to score other than from the penalty spot. The same names such as Henry, Bergkamp and Drogba were used when Soldado was struggling as well. They just weren't relevant. The biggest indicator of what Soldados second season would be like wasn't what other players done, but what he's done in his first season. Henry scored the same amount of goals in his second season as he did his first. Bergkamp scored 1 more in his second season. Drogba scored 2 more. But even if they had doubled or trebled their first season totals, it's still not relevant as they at least demonstrated they had the potential to be regular goal scorers in this league.

Bergkamp scored 11 goals and Henry scored 17 goals in their first Prem seasons. They can't be compared to someone who hasn't been able to score other than from the penalty spot. The same names such as Henry, Bergkamp and Drogba were used when Soldado was struggling as well. They just weren't relevant. The biggest indicator of what Soldados second season would be like wasn't what other players done, but what he's done in his first season. Henry scored the same amount of goals in his second season as he did his first. Bergkamp scored 1 more in his second season. Drogba scored 2 more. But even if they had doubled or trebled their first season totals, it's still not relevant as they at least demonstrated they had the potential to be regular goal scorers in this league.

I'm not checking stats but I thought they played double figure games without scoring

and they both started regularly unlike Jansenn

And as someone said earlier how about jamie Vardy to counter argument

That's like saying RVP. They both played wide or behind the main striker in their first season. Leicester played with Uloa and Nugent as their main striker. But even so, he still scored 5 goals.
He was still expected to score goals because like Janssen he had been prolific the previous season (31 in 34) with Fleetwood.

Remember also Janssen was bought as a back-up striker, one for the future who's mainly been a bit-part player this season.

But having said all that you could well be right about him being moved on in the summer.

The only person who's grip on reality that matters is poch, and as long as he keeps picking VJ, or any other player, they will have my support.
It's well known that if they don't perform in training they don't play, so if poch sees it I trust him enough to support VJ.

The only person who's grip on reality that matters is poch, and as long as he keeps picking VJ, or any other player, they will have my support.
It's well known that if they don't perform in training they don't play, so if poch sees it I trust him enough to support VJ.

But that's not what we are discussing. No one is saying not to support him. The point is whether he'll be given another season or not.

But that's not what we are discussing. No one is saying not to support him. The point is whether he'll be given another season or not.

That will probably depend on whether a better player is available at the right price in the summer and few would argue with that. Both Lamela and Son have been close to leaving over the last couple of summers but we have pulled out of the deal at the last moment. I don't think that we should be sentimental about the squad, if better players are available we should go for them but I think that it is far from certain that Janssen's Spurs career is over in five or six weeks time.

Let me just say I am desperate for Janssen to succeed just as I was desperate for Soldado to do likewise.

However I can only see similarities between the two. People saying he will come good eventually but I doubt if the Dutchman will.

He seems to lack that 10% that separates good strikers from average ones. Take his two chances yesterday. The unbelievable miss... posters are saying that Trippier's cross was deflected yet MOTD showed it from the right and the ball moves pretty straight to Janssen; he just did not have the speed of thought to adjust his movement. Soon after, Trippier provided another delicious cross but Janssen's judgement was again faulty, moving towards the centre of goal instead of the far post. These small details are meat and drink to the top strikers and - the problem is - you don't learn them; they are instinctive.

Contrast that with Son's second goal who in a split second understands that the cross is stronger than he has anticipated but instinctively lengthens his stride to meet it perfectly on the volley - in the right time and place. I am quite sure that Janssen would never have done that.

I feel for the lad; he is great at holding up play, bringing in his teammates and having a tussle with the centre half. However I fear that he is simply not good enough for us and - just like with Soldado - he will be moved on.

No, the point is poch sees him in training and despite son being on a good scoring run still chooses to pick VJ. So for me that's enough to suggest that poch thinks he's capable of doing a job for us.
Next season is next season, anything can happen between now and then, let's focus on this one.

That will probably depend on whether a better player is available at the right price in the summer and few would argue with that. Both Lamela and Son have been close to leaving over the last couple of summers but we have pulled out of the deal at the last moment. I don't think that we should be sentimental about the squad, if better players are available we should go for them but I think that it is far from certain that Janssen's Spurs career is over in five or six weeks time.
In the case of Son I know he wanted to leave but I understood the main reason he stayed was because he was persuaded to by Poch. However I never follow transfer stories too closely so I probably missed that bit.

More than happy for Jansen to stay, provided we sign another striker as a compliment to Kane and Jansen. I'm not sure Poch is happy enough with just Kane and Jansen, you can see Poch getting frustrated in the dugout whenever he makes a mistake. A big plus is his work ethic and good hold up play, but I'm sorry, it's not asking much for a striker whose job is to ultimately score goals to have scored even 1 goal from open play by April! Especially given the sheer number of chances we have created this season.

I can't say I followed his career in Holland, but it's just not happening for him in front of goal for us. Maybe next season he'll get off to a good start and bundle one home from 2 yards out and never look back, but it's eerily similar to what happened when we signed Soldado. He's shot of confidence in front of goal. Credit to him for not hiding and getting the positions to score, but it's not happening for him.

I can't say I followed his career in Holland, but it's just not happening for him in front of goal for us. Maybe next season he'll get off to a good start and bundle one home from 2 yards out and never look back, but it's eerily similar to what happened when we signed Soldado. He's shot of confidence in front of goal. Credit to him for not hiding and getting the positions to score, but it's not happening for him.

The difference being Soldado was 28 when we signed him and at his peak, Janssen is still a kid of 22 and learning his trade.

The difference being Soldado was 28 when we signed him and at his peak, Janssen is still a kid of 22 and learning his trade.

They are both goalscorers who were signed to score goals. Soldado had to feed on scraps playing in an AVB side that barely created any chances at all. Jansen whilst not starting as often has had plenty of chances to score goals and doesn't appear to have any confidence in his ability to put chances away.

They are both goalscorers who were signed to score goals. Soldado had to feed on scraps playing in an AVB side that barely created any chances at all. Jansen whilst not starting as often has had plenty of chances to score goals and doesn't appear to have any confidence in his ability to put chances away.

What has that to do with what i posted they are not similar at all, Soldado was 28 at his peak Janssen is 22 and still learning the game.

What has that to do with what i posted they are not similar at all, Soldado was 28 at his peak Janssen is 22 and still learning the game.

I know how old they both are as you've pointed it out. He's 22 not 18. Poch would have expected more than 1 league goal and 0 from open play by early April regardless of the fact that he is 22. His age didn't stop him scoring goals for fun in Holland albeit it a much easier league.

Like I said, I'm more than happy for us to keep him on the condition that we sign a third striker. I know some will say others can contribute goals e.g. Alli, Son and Eriksen but you have to have confidence that your striker can score goals and Jansen hasn't shown he can score goals. Is that completely unreasonable?

Back