• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

But in the games where he has played where has his lack of goals cost us league points?

Could argue west brom but we were at our best with him in and he got no service for the Majority of the time

With the greatest of respect "the no service" is the same service Harry got last season and will be getting again when he comes back.

Harry went through barren spells as well you know...

Indeed and when Vincent surprise me like Harry did two seasons ago, you can ALL take to micheal out of me royally till the cows come home, I may even join in.:eek:

My view he is not a EPL striker and never will be. (christ I do set myself up, but if thats what it takes :))

In the games he did not score in. ;)

I could quickly highlight the games he played and our results. In the league I think I'm right in saying it's only west brom that we haven't won where he started in the league ... So we got the same result that we did last season

I could quickly highlight the games he played and our results. In the league I think I'm right in saying it's only west brom that we haven't won where he started in the league ... So we got the same result that we did last season

As long as you are happy with him that's what matters and we will agree to to differ.

As long as you are happy with him that's what matters and we will agree to to differ.

I'm not unhappy with him

I think he needs genuine time as I've said a lot, and that isn't 3 months and about 600 minutes... Or less

I have made mistakes before judging players early and I won't do it again

I thought Janssen did really well last night. I thought the commentators and analysts talked absolute bo11ocks about his performance. He got little service at all and pretty much no service that I would describe as 'good'. Despite that he caused their defence problems all night. He set up good attacking positions for us, got into very good positions in the penalty box (between their two centre halves or between a centre half and full back) on 4 or 5 occasions only for the ball not to be delivered to him.

He basically had three chances last night. The header at the back post that wasn't easy at all, the penalty that he dispatched confidently and a decent effort from a reasonably tight angle that he did everything right with and their keeper made a decent save.

Had Wanyama squared the ball to an unmarked Janssen standing in the middle of the goal about 8 yards out instead of shooting a few minutes from the end. This morning we might've been talking about how a Janssen double rescued the game for us.

There was one particularly ridiculous bit of commentary last night where Janssen got himself space between the defenders on the edge of the six yard box as one of our players (I think Nkoudou?) got to the byeline on the left. A low cross into the six yard area would probably have resulted in a goal, but instead a high ball to the back post was delivered. The commentator then criticised Janssen for not being aware enough to hold his run and drift to the back post in anticipation of that (poor) cross, instead of concentrating on how Janssen had made exactly the right run only for the ball into be completely the wrong one.

Thank fudge that someone else saw the same game i did, i was having my doubts after reading through this thread.

I really like Janssen, I do believe will take until next season for him to properly productive in the goals department.

The ONLY worry about him is that I remember having the exact same feelings about Soldado in that I thought his all round game was good and it was just a matter of time before he started banging the goals in. And Janssen also seems very capable of taking penalties just like Soldado! Hmmmm.....

I'm not unhappy with him

I think he needs genuine time as I've said a lot, and that isn't 3 months and about 600 minutes... Or less

I have made mistakes before judging players early and I won't do it again

I like the post very much, I'm not anti Vincent and I truly hope I'm wrong.

We watch a game and we all view it from different aspects and and angles as @parklane1 said above.
I am not going to keep repeating the shortcomings I see with Vincent, others don't and we have discussed at length.

We will all see what transpires.

Last edited:
The way I see it with Janssen is that he is not currently on the same wavelength as his team mates. I watch him standing with his arm in the air hoping for the early pass that never comes. Unfortunately he doesn't seem, at the moment, very adept at creating that extra couple of yards of space from the defender that would enable him to create a few more goal scoring opportunities.

His biggest asset is to stand there , hold off defenders and allow his team mates to move on goal. That is fine when goal scorers like Son, Alli or Kane are playing but we need more from him when they are not. Two things are clear, from his time in Holland he has an eye for goal but at the moment he is struggling to create goal scoring opportunities let alone score. That for me is more worrying than missing chances alone. I would have been interested to see if he would have converted the Harrison chance.

He needs help from the coaching team to improve his movement and he needs his team mates to release the ball earlier. But it is still far too early to write him off.

I want to see you youtube version of VJ. Hopefully that will be here soon.

Here you go!

In seriousness, he isn't doing anything that differently - I'd actually say he looks better for us than in the video.
The difference - at least half of those chances don't even get to you in England...it's easy to forget how good the defending is in England.
He will need to learn how to adapt his game, but he has a goalscoring instinct.

Also, how many times this season have we got into those attacking positions for any of our players? We attack and let it get compacted.

Back