• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

True but I know who I would prefer....and you? Know I dont mean i would prefer you.
Well that's not very matey.

I'd prefer neither tbh. I liked Big Vince and hoped for the best, but it didn't work. I don't think Poch is sentimental, if you don't cut it you're out the door faster than you can say "Where's Clinton?"

Well that's not very matey.

I'd prefer neither tbh. I liked Big Vince and hoped for the best, but it didn't work. I don't think Poch is sentimental, if you don't cut it you're out the door faster than you can say "Where's Clinton?"

I even mentioned Welbeck as a possibility earlier! I have no shame! :cool:

He is mobile, hold the ball up and strangely does know where the net is despite what we saw last year. Could do a lot worse

He did also link up with somny really well
Mobile? Janssen is not awful but he isn't athletic enough, he doesn't have the ability to outpace or outskill or outrun or run the channels or stretch defences, at times he was an oil tanker with a broken propellor.

Mobile? Janssen is not awful but he isn't athletic enough, he doesn't have the ability to outpace or outskill or outrun or run the channels or stretch defences, at times he was an oil tanker with a broken propellor.

Disagree personally

I saw more than enough good things form him

I was at Swansea away when he changed the game last season

And anyone is more mobile than Lampost Llorente

I thought that last after watching him. But the team made such heavy weather up against 10 men.
I would still have him over Llorente and Jansen.

He's exactly the type of aging, player, sat in their comfort zone that we used to sign in the 90's. I think that we can agree that our back up options over the last couple of seasons have not paid off but you can at least see a logic in their signings. Welbeck has failed in exactly the same role down the road and so makes no sense whatsoever.

I think that the best option is probably to sign an inside forward who can also lead the line. That way they can get games under their belt and we can rotate positions in game, to give them spells up front. The biggest hurdle that I think Janssen and Llorente have faced is lack of game time to get any rhythm going.

Disagree personally

I saw more than enough good things form him

I was at Swansea away when he changed the game last season

And anyone is more mobile than Lampost Llorente

So we conclude that Janssen is more mobile that a lamppost ;)
Neither are good enough!
We are trying to become better with a more dynamic and stronger focus.
We must not get too sentimental with players that are not good enough.

Last edited:
He's exactly the type of aging, player, sat in their comfort zone that we used to sign in the 90's. I think that we can agree that our back up options over the last couple of seasons have not paid off but you can at least see a logic in their signings. Welbeck has failed in exactly the same role down the road and so makes no sense whatsoever.

I think that the best option is probably to sign an inside forward who can also lead the line. That way they can get games under their belt and we can rotate positions in game, to give them spells up front. The biggest hurdle that I think Janssen and Llorente have faced is lack of game time to get any rhythm going.

Welbeck has had two very serious injuries and at 28 I don’t think is past it but listening last night I’m now not sure sure he will stay injury free.
We need an affordable “inside forward who can also lead the line“ and I think having EFL experience would be preferable.

I think the likes of Jay Rodriguez are of the type but he’s 29.
It is finding quality with right experience who is prepared to play a ‘lesser role’ to some extent.

Also I think Arsenal will be moving some on and that has also been behind my thinking.

Janssen is a funny one, remins me a lot of Shearer.

Mostly that was his build, but also in his strength and positioning.

Anyone remember when it looked like Shearer was a flop for England? Laboured, uncultured, slow... Then he gets one goal and suddenly cant stop scoring.

Wouldnt it be nice if Janssen was like that too?!

I think his buy made perfect sense. He is exactly the sort of player we should continue to speculate on. That said, undeniably, last season was hardly a good one for him.

I wouldnt mind if he were sold, its not like we have missed him - equally Id be quite happy for him to come back in and have another go.

I definitely think there is potential there, he is our player, and maybe the spell in Turkey will serve as a good enough break that he comes back here with a clean slate, no baggage, and a genuine chance at success.

Welbeck has had two very serious injuries and at 28 I don’t think is past it but listening last night I’m now not sure sure he will stay injury free.
We need an affordable “inside forward who can also lead the line“ and I think having EFL experience would be preferable.

I think the likes of Jay Rodriguez are of the type but he’s 29.
It is finding quality with right experience who is prepared to play a ‘lesser role’ to some extent.

Also I think Arsenal will be moving some on and that has also been behind my thinking.

We've already got one inside forward who can also lead the line and Son has looked more and more comfortable in that role this season. Personally, I think that gives us space to sign a young player with a higher ceiling than Welbeck or Rodriguez but I know that many will disagree.

Janssen is a funny one, remins me a lot of Shearer.

Mostly that was his build, but also in his strength and positioning.

Anyone remember when it looked like Shearer was a flop for England? Laboured, uncultured, slow... Then he gets one goal and suddenly cant stop scoring.

Wouldnt it be nice if Janssen was like that too?!

I think his buy made perfect sense. He is exactly the sort of player we should continue to speculate on. That said, undeniably, last season was hardly a good one for him.

I wouldnt mind if he were sold, its not like we have missed him - equally Id be quite happy for him to come back in and have another go.

I definitely think there is potential there, he is our player, and maybe the spell in Turkey will serve as a good enough break that he comes back here with a clean slate, no baggage, and a genuine chance at success.

I agree that he is exactly the type of player that it is worth taking a punt on. My only question about his signing would be that he had only had one season in the Dutch top flight when we signed him. I think that there is a risk that we signed a bang average player who had a hot streak.

I agree that he is exactly the type of player that it is worth taking a punt on. My only question about his signing would be that he had only had one season in the Dutch top flight when we signed him. I think that there is a risk that we signed a bang average player who had a hot streak.

Like Sanchez?

The very nature of our status/place in the foodchain means we HAVE to gamble.

And the very nature of gambling is that you tend to lose more than win...

Janssen looked the part, right age, build, technique, looked built for the premiership. Ive no issue in us going for him, and Id want us to do it again - not be burned and hesitant.

And, honestly, I do think there is potential for him to come back in and succeed still.

As I said, he is young. Maybe a year in Turkey has seen him grow? Get used to being away from home, adapting etc...

Maybe (MAYBE!) he can come in for pre season and hit some form?

Im still convinced he has all the tools.

Like Sanchez?

The very nature of our status/place in the foodchain means we HAVE to gamble.

And the very nature of gambling is that you tend to lose more than win...

Janssen looked the part, right age, build, technique, looked built for the premiership. Ive no issue in us going for him, and Id want us to do it again - not be burned and hesitant.

And, honestly, I do think there is potential for him to come back in and succeed still.

As I said, he is young. Maybe a year in Turkey has seen him grow? Get used to being away from home, adapting etc...

Maybe (MAYBE!) he can come in for pre season and hit some form?

Im still convinced he has all the tools.

Yes.

I'm not writing him off, just saying that signing a player with such a short period in top level football is more of a risk. I completely agree that we are in a financial position where we need to take risks.

I don't want to labour the point on Welbeck, because I think that there is zero chance that we would be interested, but the mere fact that we think that he is a player that an incoming Arsenal manager will want to clear out should be enough to show that he is not good enough for us.

We've already got one inside forward who can also lead the line and Son has looked more and more comfortable in that role this season. Personally, I think that gives us space to sign a young player with a higher ceiling than Welbeck or Rodriguez but I know that many will disagree.

My first choice would be Rashford. But ££££

I dont want us to keep trying to find this bargain! We have to start thinking quality before price! Well maybe a little more often at least!

Back