• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victor Wanyama

He also gives us the option of playing Dier in central defence which should keep Vertonghen on his toes

That would be the Vertonghen that came straight back into the team at the start of the season after his Euro injury had sidelined him up to and including our last pre-season friendly a week before our league opener? Then to become an integral part of the team that's so far has conceded only 3 league goals in 7 games, half of any other team in the league so far.

Vertonghen should be no more on his toes than Alderweireld or any other current clear first choice player. It's almost like saying that the option of starting Vorm should be keeping Lloris on his toes.

If anyone should be on their toes it should be Dier looking to get back into the team in the position he was so good in last season, after a less than stellar start to the season. He's far from challenging for a CB spot.

That would be the Vertonghen that came straight back into the team at the start of the season after his Euro injury had sidelined him up to and including our last pre-season friendly a week before our league opener? Then to become an integral part of the team that's so far has conceded only 3 league goals in 7 games, half of any other team in the league so far.

Vertonghen should be no more on his toes than Alderweireld or any other current clear first choice player. It's almost like saying that the option of starting Vorm should be keeping Lloris on his toes.

If anyone should be on their toes it should be Dier looking to get back into the team in the position he was so good in last season, after a less than stellar start to the season. He's far from challenging for a CB spot.

That wasn't a knock at Vertonghen, I like him and thought that he was awesome today. I meant it as a positive about our options.

That wasn't a knock at Vertonghen, I like him and thought that he was awesome today. I meant it as a positive about our options.

It's not really much of an option other than as a rotation/backup option though. How many PL starts does Dier have at CB? Wimmer is probably the next CB in line, he's done more at CB than Dier has. And even despite his good performances last season even Wimmer isn't really keeping Vertonghen on his toes. Verts is a clear cut first choice starter for us.

I do think long term the CB position might be where Dier ends up. But right now he's nowhere near challenging for a regular start there.

It's not really much of an option other than as a rotation/backup option though. How many PL starts does Dier have at CB? Wimmer is probably the next CB in line, he's done more at CB than Dier has. And even despite his good performances last season even Wimmer isn't really keeping Vertonghen on his toes. Verts is a clear cut first choice starter for us.

I do think long term the CB position might be where Dier ends up. But right now he's nowhere near challenging for a regular start there.

I don't know. He's started there once this season and that came as a surprise to most of us. If he gets a chance and takes it, I'd expect him to retain his position. What counts against that is wanting a settled back four and Dier would still be needed in midfield to rotate there. Nice problems to have.

@Gutter Boy I think it is time for you be a man and admit you were wrong about Wanyama. I told you Wanyama would be an excellent signing for us but you said he was a mediocre player and certainly not good enough for Spurs. I distinctly remember you throughout the summer telling me we do not need him and at best he would be nothing more than back up for Dier. I am looking forward to hearing from you

I think you overestimate Gutter Boy

Dier has a job on his hands to get back in the starting XI

I agree. I think he knows it too judging by the energy he brought to the team when he came on. Much better from him too, just shows what some competition can do to up your game.

Fantastic performance, esp after the early yellow card too!
I think a more natural DCM like Wanyama allows us to play the Alli, Eriksen, Lamela and Son quartet and not be worried about Alli in DCM.

Lots of options now, especially with Dembele and Winks making a slow breakthrough.

It's a shame Mason didn't get a chance alongside Wanyama too tbh

What's his song ???

He's a Kenyan, a mighty Kenya.................to the tune of the Lion Sleeps tonight

Fantastic performance, esp after the early yellow card too!
I think a more natural DCM like Wanyama allows us to play the Alli, Eriksen, Lamela and Son quartet and not be worried about Alli in DCM.

Lots of options now, especially with Dembele and Winks making a slow breakthrough.

It's a shame Mason didn't get a chance alongside Wanyama too tbh

Sorry mason would look lost compared to the current midfield players.

He's a Kenyan, a mighty Kenyan, called Victor Wanyama,
a Wanyama, a Wanyama, a Wanyama...
(repeated)

open-front-door-from-inside-design-inspiration-2.jpg

_a Wanyama, a Wanyama, a Wanyama...
(repeated)

You could add and/or change the above to include:
a mighty Kenyan Jogoo or
Wanyama, the Kenyan Jagoo.

Jagoo in Swahili means roostereral
In normal Kenyan slang it also refers to people who are powerful, leaders, strong

Back