• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

The F.A. should make a 1 min long video explaining exactly how VAR will be used and that should then be played on TV before every match involving VAR.

I personally think it works well, but needs to be drummed into everyone exactly how it's used.

Pretty sure VAR should be telling the ref and not the other way around. Presume they checked it and saw it wasn't a clear and obvious error. Tbf it probably wasn't a foul.

Think that was a foul tbh (even though Hazard backed into him)

Yeah that was weird. The ref seemed to think it was a definite foul though.

-----

Think it's all working fine, but needs to be communicated exactly what the process is so that everyone watching knows wtf is going on.

it is communicated, it's all here,

http://theifab.com/laws/var-protocol/chapters/protocol-principles-practicalities-and-procedures

there is wording in the VAR rules (I think) about the official VAR cameras being the only ones of record

I think for this incident VAR worked well, having seen it a few times though I think Harry was offside, as his head and parts of his body were nearer the goal than any part of the defender, VAR won't stop referees misinterpreting the rules
If it's really come down to talking about which parts of the body were offside then that's a measure of just how absurd it's all become.

Methinks it's time for us all to collectively shrug shoulders and accept the decision of the VAR regardless of whether or not they got it wrong by a matter of inches.

If it's really come down to talking about which parts of the body were offside then that's a measure of just how absurd it's all become.

Methinks it's time for us all to collectively shrug shoulders and accept the decision of the VAR regardless of whether or not they got it wrong by a matter of inches.
decision of linesman rather than VAR and i am with you.

Another mess, not offside yet the Chelski camera had it offside. Meanwhile all of us in the crowd had to stand around twiddling our thumbs not knowing what the brick is happening.

Poch has got it right its not a good way of playing, he also said they do not like it in La Liga and they have had more time to adjust with it.
It's not all about you. It's great for us streaming Sky customers.
As for this bit:
Another mess, not offside yet the Chelski camera had it offside
Yep, there's never been a wrong offside decision without VAR.

Thanks!

I think what's confused me is that the implementation in the World Cup was different (i.e. VAR seemed to determine the outcome in that case). So didn't realise there was a single set of rules.

Just having a quick glance the made me smile:

"The referee must always make a decision, i.e. the referee is not permitted to give ‘no decision’ and then use the VAR to make the decision" (item 2)

Umm, that's exactly what the ref did yesterday :)

Thanks!

I think what's confused me is that the implementation in the World Cup was different (i.e. VAR seemed to determine the outcome in that case). So didn't realise there was a single set of rules.

Just having a quick glance the made me smile:

"The referee must always make a decision, i.e. the referee is not permitted to give ‘no decision’ and then use the VAR to make the decision" (item 2)

Umm, that's exactly what the ref did yesterday :)
he gave offside didnt he and then reviewed - or he would give a goal and then review.

It's not all about you. It's great for us streaming Sky customers.

I like that actually, different to the World Cup, where you saw the ref in the booth, last night we had the replay action being shown with the pauses and back and forth, as they do in the NFL, it's great, we knew as soon as they started looking properly at the foul that they had decided Kane was onside so the pen was inevitable at that point

Another mess, not offside yet the Chelski camera had it offside. Meanwhile all of us in the crowd had to stand around twiddling our thumbs not knowing what the brick is happening.

Poch has got it right its not a good way of playing, he also said they do not like it in La Liga and they have had more time to adjust with it.

In fairness there is often a bit of standing around waiting with penalty decisions e.g. where the ref might have to consult with the linesman.
Certainly where I was standing yesterday people seemed aware it most likely hinged on whether or not Kane had been offside, but also worried in case it wasn't a penalty (although it certainly looked like it from the other end of the ground) and if it was, whether the keeper would be sent off. There was quite a bit of discussion in the minute and half or so that it took, rather than just standing there wondering what was happening. The screen was also quick to show it was a VAR incident, unlike at the Rochdale game last season, where fans really didn't know what was going on.

Ultimately the clubs must want it as they have voted it in (and a year earlier than originally planned I think?). How much refining is needed (and without doubt there will be some) is hard to assess until it is fully implemented.

the var image used is here,

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ide-chelsea-provide-alternative-camera-angle/

the line is marked based on his feet which has him level with the Chelsea RB, but Kane is leaning forward, body closer to the goal
Which raises a debate about offside.
It certainly used to be where your feet were that determined offside, but obviously that has its own restrictions.

Perhaps VAR isn't suitable for offside or it needs an instruction to review multiple angles first. Like they do in rugby when something is really really close.
Think about a close try in rugby - they take as long as needed and stop the clock.
That would have worked yesterday.
I don't get the argument re; time taken. What's the rush?

Which raises a debate about offside.
It certainly used to be where your feet were that determined offside, but obviously that has its own restrictions.

Perhaps VAR isn't suitable for offside or it needs an instruction to review multiple angles first. Like they do in rugby when something is really really close.
Think about a close try in rugby - they take as long as needed and stop the clock.
That would have worked yesterday.
I don't get the argument re; time taken. What's the rush?

Fans get bored/start booing/channel surfing

TV needs their minimum of 9 minutes of adverts per hour

There was quite a bit of discussion in the minute and half or so that it took, rather than just standing there wondering what was happening. The screen was also quick to show it was a VAR incident, unlike at the Rochdale game last season, where fans really didn't know what was going on.

Robbie Keane said post match it was 93 seconds.

Had there been no VAR, and instead the ref consulted the linesman, and then made a decision, and then had to face the irate players on whichever side lost out - I wonder how long that would have taken?

AND, had he decided no penalty - when actually it was - how happy would people be here today?

I wonder if, in all honesty, its that big a deal at all when compared to the pantomime we have today.

Though your second point is spot on - if things are communicated more clearly I think people will be happier. Even better if the VAR investigation is on the screen as it was the TV, I had no complaints seeing what they were looking at.

Back