• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Under 17 World Cup

Eagletsnew.jpg

In all seriousness while I admit age fraud is not uncommon in youth tournaments officials now use wrist scans to determine if a player is over 17 or not.

Congrats Naija :)

Who should we sign? Come on, don't hold back ;)

Victor Osimhen scored 10 goals during the tournament so he is an obvious choice but Kelechi Nwakali is the one to go for. He was our play maker and made us tick. Unfortunately I think Emirates Marketing Project have their eye on him and his older brother Chidiebere Nwakali is already on their books.

Wasn't it Cameroon that had all those players who claimed to be 25, but were actually in their late 30's?

Not sure about that specific instance, but there is no doubt African football has been plagued by "age fraudsters". But we won it clean, fair and square :):):)

And did I say we won it in 2013 as well :):):)

The sad thing is that we have now won the under 17 world cup 5 times and have been runners up 3 times but to the shambolic management of Nigerian football we cannot do it at senior level although we did have a very good team in the 90s, and in 1996 we won the Olympic Gold (beating Brazil in the semis and Argentina in the final)

I know in the past Nigeria has been involved in "age fraud" at youth level but they have now got their house in order

This might help explain things -

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/use-of-mri-technology-is-helping-fifa-in-age-battle

Cheers for this too Naija.

Was thinking about the whole age fraud argument the other day. Might be just my impression, but it seems to me that most Nigerian (and African) high profile footballers have pretty "standard" career trajectories. Have there been cases where you feel that high profile players have actually seemed to have their form go off a cliff at a younger age than expected?

If players like Rooney or Torres had been African I'm sure some people would be claiming that they were actually older than claimed as evidenced by their sudden drop of form while still in their twenties. But these kinds of things happen it seems, so individual cases wouldn't prove anything. More just curious as I can't think of a single example.

. Have there been cases where you feel that high profile players have actually seemed to have their form go off a cliff at a younger age than expected?

High profile maybe not, but there is the story of John Obi Mikel who as a teenager was thought he would be become a very special player by Nigerians. I can imagine the disbelief on your face but I am dead serious. In 2005 Argentina beat Nigeria in the finals of the Under 20 World Cup with Messi winning both the Golden Boot and the Golden Ball.

During the same tournament playing as an intelligent creative number 10 with flare for Nigeria John Obi Mikel won the Silver Ball. Many Nigerians thought he would develop into the creative maestro that Nigeria had not seen since Okocha. Unfortunately a year later he ended up at Chelsea and Mourinho forcibly coached all the flare and creativity out of him and deployed him as a defensive midfield player who could never go pass the half way line. In my opinion he never became the player he had the quality to become

High profile maybe not, but there is the story of John Obi Mikel who as a teenager was thought he would be become a very special player by Nigerians. I can imagine the disbelief on your face but I am dead serious. In 2005 Argentina beat Nigeria in the finals of the Under 20 World Cup with Messi winning both the Golden Boot and the Golden Ball.

During the same tournament playing as an intelligent creative number 10 with flare for Nigeria John Obi Mikel won the Silver Ball. Many Nigerians thought he would develop into the creative maestro that Nigeria had not seen since Okocha. Unfortunately a year later he ended up at Chel53a and Mourinho forcibly coached all the flare and creativity out of him and deployed him as a defensive midfield player who could never go pass the half way line. In my opinion he never became the player he had the quality to become

Yes I remember all the hype about him as the next big thing, I was working in Manchester at the time and he was supposed to have signed for Utd and they were raving about him.

Back