• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tuition Fees

monkeybarry

Ian Walker
Can't find the old thread (maybe it was on the old board? I guess it probably was)

But its been a few months now since the furore regarding the raising of fee's and I can't help but think it is a better system for the country and individuals

Yes, it will cost a hell of a lot more than before - but it will also be more managable to pay back (albeit not cheaper)

The main downside or is it a plus side (im not sure) is that it ties people into repayments for the long term;
i. on one hand this is more likely to keep people (and their skills) in the UK
ii. but is it at the cost of social liberty by having a bit of a negative impact on social mobility? (ie, moving abroad)

Just having a brain dump

It's all a bit fudged at the moment as all universities are scrambling to charge as much as they can.

Over the next few years people will learn which unis/courses are likely to land them a post-grad job and the ones that don't will see reduced demand, eventually having to lower their prices. Or improve output. The pressure on decent post-grad job production will lead the less well-funded unis dropping their horse grooming courses in favour of things that employers value.

Everyone's a winner.

Totally agree with you guys. The reform, as much as it is harsh on the current generation, will benefit the system, the students and the country once the transition period is over. Still, It's better not to go to uni for the next 5 years :p

I completely disagree that it's harsh; it's paying for something you want. Boo fudging hoo. Plus if it doesn't end up with you in employment you don't even have to pay it back. It's a great system.

...but not as great as Scotland.

As I understand it, the Scottish system offers no motivation to universities to offer quality subjects or courses. So a university of 1,000 students studying horse grooming or nutrition will cost the taxpayer the same as a university of 1,000 students studying particle physics.

It may be a good system for those about to go to university (and for politicians counting on their votes) but it's pretty terrible for everyone else.

Back