• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer window now shut - what do we make of our squad now?

If I'm going to be totally fair -- which wasn't easy for me even before I knew Arsenal and Tottenham even existed, thanks to the pathetic access we had to this sport in those days -- I have to acknowledge that, whatever flaws the current Tottenham team has, courage is not one of them. Nor is tenacity. They showed plenty of both on Sunday.

What they did not show was something Arsenal had in droves: Togetherness. These new signings and the established team don't know each other yet. Having an Interlull so soon after such a defeat doesn't help. Villas-Boas has his work cut out for him in trying to weave together all these disparate (not desperate -- yet) elements, and over the course of this season we will all, supporters of your club and not, find out how good a coach (not "manager") he really is. Plenty of talented teams have fallen short. Certainly, Arsenal have. Considering how much they've spent, both Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project should have won more than they have.

A good manager/head coach is key. And the last manager Tottenham had who really knew what he was doing was George Graham -- and, well, you lot wanted "your Tottenham" back. If AVB is going to lead your team to anything worth having, he'll have to be better than Hoddle (great player at times but not a good manager), Jol (decent manager but no more), Ramos (did all right with Madrid's money but hopeless in England) and Redknapp (who has never been worth the hype).

Now that I've gotten that out of the way...

There is no power shift in North London. Massive spending guarantees nothing, and with everything going your way (aside from not being able to call on You Know Who), Arsenal still beat you. They were better, they were tougher, they were smarter.

Granted, it was a bit funny seeing a 6-3-1 at the end. Wenger didn't park the bus, he parked the Batmobile. (Driven by a better Welshman named Bale.) But it worked.

Okay, enough WUMming. As Susan Sarandon said in a movie about a very different sport, but very true in this one, "It's a long season, and you've got to trust it." But you also have to remember that the table ALWAYS lies, until the LAST one. So my advice is this: Stop comparing yourselves to Arsenal, or any other team, and just look ahead to the next game. Yes, it's a cliche, but, as Kevin Costner said in the same movie, cliches are your friends, and "One game at a time" works.

-- Uncle Mike, the New Jersey Gooner

This site needs a filter system, who wants to read this **** at every post.

Yeah, could we maybe have a special section of the forum (we could call it "All I Do Is Bloody Moan!") and people could spend their days in that section constantly telling the world how utterly pathetic Tottenham Hotspur is and how we haven't signed a decent player since Greaves and any success we've had since 1961 is sheer good luck and was thoroughly undeserved. How our chairman is a fool who doesn't know what he's doing, our manager is clueless and our players should be plying their trade in the Scottish second division 'cos that's their proper level.

I know everyone's different and we all support Spurs in our own way, but I have to say I just don't understand people who are fans of a team yet are almost constantly negative about it. The joy of being a sports fan is that it allows you a teeny bit of escapism. Every year you get to be foolishly optimistic about something... which is a precious gift in the modern world let me tell you. And when, next March or April, you discover your optimism was unfounded and your hopes get dashed... it's not the end of the world, because there's always next season. Blissful optimism with no long-term negative consequences; it's wonderful (and it's about the only time in life where you get that opportunity).

If supporting Spurs doesn't bring joy to your life then why bloody do it? I'm not saying we should all be happy-clappy eejits. Just that the relentless negativity of some people is damn near pathological by this point. Seriously, and this isn't me being dismissive, but if Spurs are making you this angry and frustrated then maybe think about supporting a team that wins all the time? (try Man Utd or Barcelona) Just for the sake of your own blood pressure if nothing else.

Lloris
Walker Kaboul Vertonghen Ekotto
Sandro Dembele
Lennon Holtby Bale
Adebayor​

Is what we have now stronger than that? Personally I think not, but depth is probably improved.

--------------------Lloris
-------------------(Friedel)

--Walker-----Dawson—Vertonghen--Rose
(Naughton)--(Kaboul)-(Chiriches)--(Fryers)

----Paulinho------Sandro------Dembele
--(Sigurdsson)--(Capoue)-----(Holtby)

-Lamela---------Soldado--------Eriksen
(Lennon)------(Adebayor)-------(Chadli)

+ Defoe, Townsend, Kane, Gomes

Overall - excellent

Can be improved upon in January but we will be comfortably top 4 then and 3 or 4 out and 2 top, top players in.

Lloris
Walker Kaboul Vertonghen Ekotto
Sandro Dembele
Lennon Holtby Bale
Adebayor​

Is what we have now stronger than that? Personally I think not, but depth is probably improved.

I disagree. Losing Bale was a blow, but it looks like it was out of our control. While I wouldn't suggest Lamela is a "replacement", he does have a lot of potential. And we're probably weaker at left back, but aside from that I'd suggest that Soldado is a better bet than the Adebayor of last year. I think Paulinho is an upgrade on Dembele and Eriksen is supposed to be better than Holtby (at least according to what I've read). I think Chadli and Capoue provide better depth than we had last year and Chiriches is potentially an improvement on Caulker.

Overall, I'd put us down as having a "slightly" better first team than last season, and a significantly better squad overall.

I just hope I'm proved right about this. But we'll have to wait and see.

EDIT: Also, we have Sandro and Kaboul back from long-term injuries and both Holtby and Townsend are likely to play at higher levels this season than last. We're on an upward trajectory.

Yeah, could we maybe have a special section of the forum (we could call it "All I Do Is Bloody Moan!") and people could spend their days in that section constantly telling the world how utterly pathetic Tottenham Hotspur is and how we haven't signed a decent player since Greaves and any success we've had since 1961 is sheer good luck and was thoroughly undeserved. How our chairman is a fool who doesn't know what he's doing, our manager is clueless and our players should be plying their trade in the Scottish second division 'cos that's their proper level.

I know everyone's different and we all support Spurs in our own way, but I have to say I just don't understand people who are fans of a team yet are almost constantly negative about it. The joy of being a sports fan is that it allows you a teeny bit of escapism. Every year you get to be foolishly optimistic about something... which is a precious gift in the modern world let me tell you. And when, next March or April, you discover your optimism was unfounded and your hopes get dashed... it's not the end of the world, because there's always next season. Blissful optimism with no long-term negative consequences; it's wonderful (and it's about the only time in life where you get that opportunity).

If supporting Spurs doesn't bring joy to your life then why bloody do it? I'm not saying we should all be happy-clappy eejits. Just that the relentless negativity of some people is damn near pathological by this point. Seriously, and this isn't me being dismissive, but if Spurs are making you this angry and frustrated then maybe think about supporting a team that wins all the time? (try Man Utd or Barcelona) Just for the sake of your own blood pressure if nothing else.

=D>=D>

If I'm going to be totally fair -- which wasn't easy for me even before I knew Arsenal and Tottenham even existed, thanks to the pathetic access we had to this sport in those days -- I have to acknowledge that, whatever flaws the current Tottenham team has, courage is not one of them. Nor is tenacity. They showed plenty of both on Sunday.

What they did not show was something Arsenal had in droves: Togetherness. These new signings and the established team don't know each other yet. Having an Interlull so soon after such a defeat doesn't help. Villas-Boas has his work cut out for him in trying to weave together all these disparate (not desperate -- yet) elements, and over the course of this season we will all, supporters of your club and not, find out how good a coach (not "manager") he really is. Plenty of talented teams have fallen short. Certainly, Arsenal have. Considering how much they've spent, both Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project should have won more than they have.

A good manager/head coach is key. And the last manager Tottenham had who really knew what he was doing was George Graham -- and, well, you lot wanted "your Tottenham" back. If AVB is going to lead your team to anything worth having, he'll have to be better than Hoddle (great player at times but not a good manager), Jol (decent manager but no more), Ramos (did all right with Madrid's money but hopeless in England) and Redknapp (who has never been worth the hype).

Now that I've gotten that out of the way...

There is no power shift in North London. Massive spending guarantees nothing, and with everything going your way (aside from not being able to call on You Know Who), Arsenal still beat you. They were better, they were tougher, they were smarter.

Granted, it was a bit funny seeing a 6-3-1 at the end. Wenger didn't park the bus, he parked the Batmobile. (Driven by a better Welshman named Bale.) But it worked.

Okay, enough WUMming. As Susan Sarandon said in a movie about a very different sport, but very true in this one, "It's a long season, and you've got to trust it." But you also have to remember that the table ALWAYS lies, until the LAST one. So my advice is this: Stop comparing yourselves to Arsenal, or any other team, and just look ahead to the next game. Yes, it's a cliche, but, as Kevin Costner said in the same movie, cliches are your friends, and "One game at a time" works.

-- Uncle Mike, the New Jersey Gooner

While I find your post mostly to the point, I have to question your credibility given the statement I've put in bold.

I note what AVB said yesterday:

[At AVB's post match presser] he said his 2 formations 4-2-3-1 with a 10 or 4-3-3 without a 10. Yest [against Ar-se] was the latter

https://twitter.com/gstobart

I presume the 4-2-3-1 is the home/offensive formation and the 4-3-3 the away/defensive one. But maybe we'll mix it up, or end up favouring one over the other.

For the 4-2-3-1:

-------------Lloris------------
Walker---Kaboul---Vert---Rose
------Sandro----Paulinho------
Lennon----Lamela-----Eriksen
----------Soldado------------

For the 4-3-3:

-------------Lloris------------
Walker---Kaboul---Vert---Rose
---Sandro--Eriksen--Paulinho---
Lamela----Soldado-----Lennon

In both formations, Holtby, Siggy and Townsend are interchangeable in lots of different ways with Eriksen, Lamela and Lennon depending on form/fitness/needs must. Dembele is cover for Pauly in both formations, Capoue for Sandro. So on the face of it, our squad is in good shape to cover every contingency assuming the systems themselves become machine-like.

However, I think we are massively dependent on Paulinho and Lamela, and to a lesser extent Eriksen, in both systems. Without Pauly, we lose loads of our transitioning/offensive potential in both formations - that Lampard role he's meant to be good at. Without Lamela, we lose our most creative player in a 4-3-3 that by definition will see us limited in attacking opportunities, and in the 4-2-3-1 we'd be light in the crucial No. 10 role. Ditto Eriksen to a lesser extent in both formations.

Our squad is very good, but looking at it we need a good 25+ league games from each of those 3 big boys IMO or we're not in awesome shape for top 4.

What would you have liked to have seen us done in the window? Which players that went elsewhere would you have liked us to have signed and at whose expense?
I can answer that Kevin Prince Boateng 10 million pounds(sold to schalke) instead of lamela(27), get coentrao and ozil in the bale transfer and only get around 35-40 mil for bale. Ozil would be here so there is no need for other AM, just one for backup, sell the others to get some money in. The money would be more or less the same but the team would look like this :
-----------------Lloris (Captain)---------------
Walker-----Chiri-------Verts--------COENTRAO
--------------Paulinho----Capoue-----------
--------------------------------------------
K Prince Boateng----OZIL-----------Eriksen
-----------------Soldado-----------------

I can answer that Kevin Prince Boateng 10 million pounds(sold to schalke) instead of lamela(27), get coentrao and ozil in the bale transfer and only get around 35-40 mil for bale. Ozil would be here so there is no need for other AM, just one for backup, sell the others to get some money in. The money would be more or less the same but the team would look like this :
-----------------Lloris (Captain)---------------
Walker-----Chiri-------Verts--------COENTRAO
--------------Paulinho----Capoue-----------
--------------------------------------------
K Prince Boateng----OZIL-----------Eriksen
-----------------Soldado-----------------

Can't see Boateng ever coming back to Spurs. His time here can't be full of good memories.

Fox Sports pundit Steve McMahon reckons we made the best set of transfers this time. He also thinks Soldado is the best signing of this transfer window among the PL clubs. I guess only time will tell if he is right or not.

Fox Sports pundit Steve McMahon reckons we made the best set of transfers this time. He also thinks Soldado is the best signing of this transfer window among the PL clubs. I guess only time will tell if he is right or not.

i thought Emirates Marketing Project did better than us, both in terms of getting the right players and the prices they paid.

He has grown a lot since joining AC Milan and tbh everybody would choose spurs instead of Schalke really.

I agree that Spurs should be a more attractive side to join than Schalke. My point was more about the player's opinion. He didn't have a very successful time in London (though he's a far better player now of course) and never looked genuinely happy here. My suspicion is that he wanted to return home to Germany and Schalke were the biggest German team who wanted him. Even if Spurs had made a bid, there's every chance he would choose Germany over England for personal - as opposed to footballing - reasons.

Don't know why people are brining other club's business into this thread. We have no control over what other clubs do, the success of our window depends entirely on what we do.

The other top teams were always going to spend and get better. As it is I don't think some have had a good window compared to what was rumoured for them at the beginning of the window.

In terms of us I think we were always losing Bale.

I think we have done everything we reasonably could have been expected to do to use the money we got for him effectively.

In terms of left backs, are we saying we're never going to give our younger players a chance? I say giving Rose an opportunity to develop in the first team after his successful loan at Sunderland was the right thing to do. Time will tell if he takes that opportunity but you could say that about any of our new signings. AVB seems to have faith in Fryers and the club fought hard to get him so to not have faith in him would seem strange.

I think we've given ourselves a chance to compete that's all - so much in football is dependent on what ur opponents do, luck as well as judgement.

Do we now have a squad capable of competing? Yes I think so. Will it walk the league sweeping all before it? I doubt it this season. It's going to be a dog-fight for top 4 but I think we're in with a shout along with 5 others.

i thought Emirates Marketing Project did better than us, both in terms of getting the right players and the prices they paid.

McMahon's top 3 teams for transfer signings :
1.Tottenham
2.Emirates Marketing Project
3.Everton

His worst team for transfer signings :
1. ManU
:lol:

Boateng? really .. can't agree on that

Ozil would have been nice, but price/wages/cl demand put him out of our league
A Vert style CB would have been nice, we will have to see how Vlad plays outs
The only area I feel we missed on was FB, but those aren't common or cheap (and even the best ones tend to have some issues)

McMahon's top 3 teams for transfer signings :
1.Tottenham
2.Emirates Marketing Project
3.Everton

His worst team for transfer signings :
1. ManU
:lol:

Agree with ManU, Moyes is looking more like a disaster every day (never got how he has had such a free ride into the role, lots of people didn't think he was good enough for Spurs, but ok for ManU?)

Everton? what did I miss?

I agree that Spurs should be a more attractive side to join than Schalke. My point was more about the player's opinion. He didn't have a very successful time in London (though he's a far better player now of course) and never looked genuinely happy here. My suspicion is that he wanted to return home to Germany and Schalke were the biggest German team who wanted him. Even if Spurs had made a bid, there's every chance he would choose Germany over England for personal - as opposed to footballing - reasons.
Ok maybe not KPB but Ozil and Coentrao where there to get in the bale deal and we missed them both shocking decision really, knowing what problems we have on the LB and the creation wizz Ozil is, we clearly lost a good opportunity there...

Back