• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer window now shut - what do we make of our squad now?

Defense is not good enough.

We'll sadly again miss out on CL, and lose Vertonghen/Lloris next summer.

Some of the signings are average ( Capoue/Chadli) while Paulinho and Soldado look very slow maybe due to a lack of fitness.

Chichares is unproven.

Eriksen could be a good surprise though.

What would you have liked to have seen us done in the window? Which players that went elsewhere would you have liked us to have signed and at whose expense?

It is genuinely amazing what 2 days can do for the mood of the whole board.

In fairness, the NLD, Bale and Ozil within 24 hours or so of each other were a bit of a kick in the teeth but **** me, this place was so positive on Saturday.

I'm not saying either the positivity or negativity were completely right but just funny what can happen to outlook within such a short period of time.

I think we lack pace in our side or a tricky winger of sorts.....after seeing Ben Arfur doing a bale -esqe goal against fulham,he be someone who could so some damage,i presume we've made some sort of connection with blackpool for ince,he could do a job too.

At the moment Lennon is out injured again,townsend can be someone and him and walker are building up a relationship but i thinkwe lack width sometimes. For the first twenty five minutes we had it but for some reason then we started to come inside and created nothing.

It is genuinely amazing what 2 days can do for the mood of the whole board.

In fairness, the NLD, Bale and Ozil within 24 hours or so of each other were a bit of a kick in the teeth but **** me, this place was so positive on Saturday.

I'm not saying either the positivity or negativity were completely right but just funny what can happen to outlook within such a short period of time.

Absolutely.

So many on here (and most football sites) have so little perspective. All our players are either world beaters or dross and it only takes one set back for people to move them from the former to the latter.

There also seems to be no acceptance that this new team will take a while to settle. The only player in our front six to have played for us last season was Dembele and he was playing an unfamiliar role. You put this up against a settled team, who have finished above us every year for the last fifteen years and are playing at home and losing one nil is a disaster.

Ericksen is the key for me. If he clicks then we will and I believe it is almost as simple as that. Setting up as 4-3-3 with the personnel we have sent out gives a good stable defensive platform but so far this has stifled us creatively. We need to get someone playing balls in behind for Soldado and the runs of the inside forwards or we'll struggle against all but the most naive teams.

When I look at the squad as it is now I see all the pieces of the jigsaw. Everything is there for AVB now, he just has to put it together to make us the most effective team that he can.

The negativity around this board is unbelievable today!

Firstly... people need to get over the bale situation... yes we just lost our best player, but we knew it was coming, it's done now, nothing we can do about it, and in fact the money has been reinvested... in an amazing manner I must add.

Secondly... yep we lost to those lot down the road at the weekend.... none of us EVER enjoy the days after a loss to them... but that was by no means what most of us expect to be our 'first' team for the rest of the season....

Thirdly... that 'first' team for the rest of the season is a NEW team... they need time to gel and it's not going to happen from the off... we have Norwich next, which could be a bit of a blessing in disguise, at least it isn't another 'big' club, and in fact it is a nice game for the team to first play together in.... by Christmas we will look a different team! ... and for that new team to go down the road on NLD day and only concede one goal (may I remind people the last two visits have been 5 with a 'settled' team and a mr bale!), it could've been much worse, I see that as an improvement already.

Finally.... yes they signed ozil.... a great signing that would improve any team in the league.... but that is the ONLY position they didn't need to strengthen... they still lack depth, they still lack quality in cdm, and at cb, and ultimately this will still cost them going into the latter end of the season....

Look guys, all i'm trying to say is cheer up! It's not all bad! When we have eriksen, lamela, paulinho and soldado banging in the goals by November, I hope people look back here and think wtf was I worried about! Let's show some faith, now more than ever in our board, manager and players! COYS

I don't read it as negativity, and I don't actually think there are many saying losing the NLD 1-0 was that much of a disaster. I think there have been some positives taken from it even, given the way we affected their play, but if you do all the checks and balances, I think in the end, it's just the rather obvious things that sway people towards taking a more guarded view of the picture as a whole.

We've lost our best player, who pulled our chestnuts out of the fire single-handedly last season on uncomfortably many occasions; we've added seven new players who will take an indeterminate amount of time to gel, which may turn out to be time we don't have if we want top 4 this season; one of the new additions is already out for a month and we've also left ourselves short of proper cover on the left.

Meanwhile, with Özil, Arsenal have unarguably strengthened the side that still finished above us even when we had the world's most expensive player playing at the top of his game. Moreover, Liverpool look a far better side already than they were last term, and they've still got Suárez to come back into the squad. Man Utd look potentially vulnerable; who knows, they could turn out to be anything, but we know City and Chelsea will very likely be 1 and 2, so top 4 still looks far from a sure thing to me.

On the other side of the argument, you've got an interesting bunch of signings that AVB might or might not be able to meld into a unit capable of challenging at the very top. Well, we'll see. He's a got a fortnight to work with the squad and get them up to speed for what should be an eminently winnable game at home to Norwich. If we lose that, and/or we still don't score a goal from open play, then I'll probably start shifting in my seat. We can't afford not to hit the ground running, IMO.

Last edited:
The 40 Premier League Summer 2013 Player's Transfers for £5,000,000 or more...

A5147_zpsf89364f4.jpg

When I look at the squad as it is now I see all the pieces of the jigsaw. Everything is there for AVB now, he just has to put it together to make us the most effective team that he can.

+1

Yes I feel we have the perfect blend and everything is up to AVB. I feel we need to start 4-2-3-1 and switch to 4-3-3 counter attacking if we have a narrow lead situation depending.
I don't think AVB can have any excuses....he has been backed now its up to him & coaches to earn their crust.

Last season we were short of striker options - Fixed.
last season we did not have competition/back up for Lennon - fixed
last season we were too reliant on Bale - we have strengthened overall one of the brightest prospects in world football with Lamela. Time will tell on this point.
last season we had disjointed full backs.....rose & walker despite flaws are more suited to our way of playing - fixed

people are moaning about the lb position but I think we should hold off and give Rose a chance.....we can asses in January.

I think once this all clicks something beautiful will come our way!!!!!!! and you can hold me to that...........

our key signings were too late! particularly eriksen and lamela. no pre-season and 3 games in.

we have six points same as arsenal Emirates Marketing Project....one behind Chelsea.

and don't forget 2 of the three were away games.

the deals took their time and willian de-railed us a bit......I have no problem with Levy & Baldi and I think after a period of time you will realise that this window has been exceptional for us.

Absolutely.

So many on here (and most football sites) have so little perspective. All our players are either world beaters or dross and it only takes one set back for people to move them from the former to the latter.

There also seems to be no acceptance that this new team will take a while to settle. The only player in our front six to have played for us last season was Dembele and he was playing an unfamiliar role. You put this up against a settled team, who have finished above us every year for the last fifteen years and are playing at home and losing one nil is a disaster.

Yep.

The timing of the game was a bit of a disaster as well, partly because of the international break. I said before the game I want to avoid defeat in this game, because I don't want them to gain on us, because its psychologically important, bragging rights for the fans and because if we lose, the fans (and perhaps the players) will be stewing in it for 2 weeks.

And that is exactly what it seems like we'll be doing. We'll be stewing in the result and the complete lack of creativity for 2 weeks, without any reprieve or chances to see Lamela, Eriksen and the players who might hopefully rectify that.

I think people were perhaps a little bit too positive initially. Talk of being title challengers was far too premature. Not far off half of the squad has been changed over one summer, which has involved us losing by far our best player. And AVB is still very young. Top 4 will still be a decent target and that is what it should be. I personally don't think our performances in the 3 games so far have been hugely different. But the reactions have been. People should keep that in mind.

If you look at the way that the squad has been strengthened, we're following the mantra set out by Chelski/ Emirates Marketing Project in the last few seasons - namely that behind a striker you are looking for as much skill and detailed play as possible in the attacking third, with a layer of steel to protect the back two, while full backs bomb on.

Having watched the first two league games and both games against Dinamo, we're effectively playing two versions of 3-5-1-1 - namely that one of the fullbacks or a holding midfielder sits when we are going forward, releasing one or both full backs to get forward. This is a symptom of the modern game's use of a single striker - there is literally no need for two centre halves to defend two strikers in this day and age. Push your full backs on and you drag the advanced "wing forwards" back with you - if you are dictating the play. When both Rose and Walker have pushed forwards this season, either Capoue or Sandro have invariably slotted in just in front of the centre halves - so 3-5-1-1.

On that basis we have signed players very well. The side has width and pace from the flanks - those making negative comments about Walker and Rose' end product need to be a little patient to determine whether they are going to make the grade - Walker I would suggest is in that post discovery lull - namely he thinks a little too highly of himself and needs to get back to basics a little, Rose will come good as he has pace to burn and is actually good in the tackle - he just needs experience to improve his decision making.

The players we have released are players that either suited the Redknapp "Lionheart" approach like Parker and Livermore, or players who could be improved on - getting £5m for Huddlestone given the injury and loss of form he has experienced in the past 2 years is impressive and to then get Eriksen in for effectively £5.5m when deducting Hudd's fee, is a great bit of business. Eriksen is mobile, has the vision of Modric, but adds the eye for goal of someone like VDV - he doesn't do either as well as the two players mentioned yet, but he's got the ability to become a fulcrum of the side. Paulinho is a fantastic all rounder, who will get in to the box as often as he makes tackles on the edge of our box - he's a shoe in for 8-10 goals this season. Capoue has a Viera-esque quality to him, big, imposing and confident on the ball, he's going to hold for us mainly, but give him the ball and a gap and he's already shown he will head forwards.

Chadli is an interesting one in that he doesn't appear to be the same level of signing as the other three, and I can see him becoming a Siggy style squad rotation option, unless he has another gear and level we have yet to see in three and a bit games. In Soldado you have a guy who resembles a Lineker or Schillaci (Toto not that ex **** monkey) - they can be anonymous for 88 minutes, then score you a goal - he will thrive on good service from the flanks and through balls, which ultimately is what AVB is trying to achieve style wise. Soldado will get 20+ goals this season, as he will eat the lower level sides in the league for breakfast with his movement and imagination.

Lamela is a luxury player - someone who is going to be given license to roam, influence and direct play in the final third, much like Bale did last season - the difference being that he will create as many goals as he scores (Bale's goal tally dwarfed his assist rate last season). Finally Chiriches is a ball playing centre half, who sadly for those like me who love him so dearly, I believe will seal Dawson's fate to become our 4th choice centre half. He's mobile, comfortable on the ball and pacy - all things AVB loves, and which Dawson isn't. Its vital if you are playing the 3-5-1-1 we are that you have mobile centre halves - I would expect Kaboom and Vertonghen to be first choice once the former is fit, and when required JV will move to left back and Chiriches will come in. Dawson is a fabulous player in terms of heart, but he never looked as good when King was not playing in the past, and I don't believe with the higher line we play now, he can cope long term with the need to be able to chase back at pace when the line is broken.

We've spent well, so much so that if there is an issue in January then we will be able to spend, having made a net profit on player spend this summer - work considering though that the players that left the club have likely cleared around £150k of the weekly wage bill - that will not even cover the wages of Soldado and Lamela I would suggest - so we may not have head room for much more in terms of wages.

Bale may be gone, but when Modric left everyone was bricking it saying we'd struggle - and we got a record points haul. Lets be positive in the belief that now we have the depth of quality to go after the League position, the FA Cup, the League Cup and the Europa League.

COYS.

Like someone has already mentioned, I think the key will be how well Eriksen and Lamela does. They seem to have that creative spark that we have been missing so far. There's also Holtby in that mix, obviously. It will also be interesting to see how well Vlad adapts to the PL - we also need him to provide adequate cover/establish himself as a first choice central defender.

Question marks for me: Cover at left/right back and for Soldado. Naughton and Ade/Defoe will be a significant step down in quality, possibly apart from Ade, if he performs like we know he can.

Emirates Marketing Project Net Spend £76,100,000
Chelsea Net Spend £59,500,000
Southampton Net Spend £43,350,000
Arsenal Net Spend £34,400,000
Cardiff City Net Spend £31,250,000
Manchester United Net Spend £29,923,000
Liverpool Net Spend £20,800,000
West Ham United Net Spend £20,000,000
Swansea City Net Spend £19,500,000
Aston Villa Net Spend £13,000,000
Hull City Net Spend £10,050,000
Crystal Palace Net Spend £6,210,000
Norwich City Net Spend £6,200,000
West Bromwich Albion Net Spend £3,750,000
Fulham Net Spend £3,500,000
Stoke City Net Spend £3,000,000
Saudi Sportswashing Machine Net Spend £0
Sunderland Net Spend £0
Net Spend £380,533,000
Tottenham Hotspur Net Received £6,036,000
Everton Net Received £14,500,000
Total Net Premier League Spend £359,997,000

Im happy we didnt get Willian, I dont think Erikson would have joined us if we had Willian in the team, and I rate Eriksen higher...
Willian is better atm but Eriksen is going to be bigger! And he can score goals Willian dont score...
Only goal he is going to get is ofcourse against us...

A good transfer window on the whole which has left our squad stronger but it will take a while for the new signings plus system to click and only time will tell as to whether Lamela + Eriksen + Paulinho + Soldado will score more match winning goals than Bale + Dempsey + Siggy + Defoe.

Slightly disappointed we missed out on Coentrao or another quality LB as I'm not convinced by Rose and our only other options are playing Vertonghen out of position or Fryers, now that BAE has been sent to QPR. Also would've liked a decent target man signed (hoped that Baldini would have a Berbatov up his sleeve) as Adebayor remains the only forward we have who has the height + strength to bully opposition defenders and win aerial duels but remains a frustrating enigma.

Hope to see Holtby given more game time this season, as Dembele has been out of sorts for a few months now whilst Lewis has scored 3 goals in 3 games for U21s + Europa so surely has earned a chance to play in first team. If he can click with Eriksen and Lamela we should finally have enough creativity in the final third to slice open opposition defences (and play some beautiful football like when we had the likes of Modric + Kranjcar + Corluka + Huddlestone passing the ball around back in 09/10) and lay on plenty of chances for Soldado to slot home.

Going to be a tough race for 4th what with all our new signings who are probably going to need a few months to adapt to their new surroundings... Rodgers seems to have finally got his system bedded in at Liverpool and has his star player about to return whilst Arsenal have have bought a truly world class player in Ozil (albeit in the one position they didn't really need to strengthen) meaning they should be better than last season too...

Once it became apparent we would lose Bale, I can't really see how we could have done much better in our signings. Overall I was positive that we have strengthened the squad and hopeful AVB could convert that into effective XIs.

Like many, the Ozil deal has taken a bit of the gloss off the summers dealings for me. Our problem has been to overtake Arsenal and gain that CL berth. I was fairly confident that we were well placed to do so. I do think Ozil will strengthen them and that makes our task harder. I'm still fairly happy with the signings but just less confident they will be enough to overtake a strengthened Arsenal.

The loss on sunday also colours things. We have yet to see Lamela or Eriksen in action (ignoring Lamela's cameo without preparation) so we haven't seen our true team. We are better placed when the window closed than the last two years and I think we have out-performed Arsenal both times afterwards.

Defense is not good enough.

We'll sadly again miss out on CL, and lose Vertonghen/Lloris next summer.

Some of the signings are average ( Capoue/Chadli) while Paulinho and Soldado look very slow maybe due to a lack of fitness.

Chichares is unproven.

Eriksen could be a good surprise though.

This site needs a filter system, who wants to read this **** at every post.

Back