• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

Or bring in Wimmer and play either him or Verts on the right.

Wimmer and 2CV got barely any playing time last season. You don't rotate CBs, so you don't need excessive cover.

I doubt Wimmer will be here when the window shuts, and CCV is not good enough at the moment.

So far Jan or Toby have pick up a longish term injury in both seasons they have played together.

Rose being out removes Davies CB cover.

We are a defender short.

I was hoping CCV would be ready to cover this season but looks like he's still a season away from that at the moment. I'd prob buy someone and get CCV a good championship / lower Prem loan (Burnley?).

I doubt Wimmer will be here when the window shuts, and CCV is not good enough at the moment.

So far Jan or Toby have pick up a longish term injury in both seasons they have played together.

Rose being out removes Davies CB cover.

We are a defender short.

We're a CB short even with Wimmer. We have 5 senior players to cover CB and DM. If we play 3-5-2, we need 4 players in those positions so having 5 senior players isnt enough

We're a CB short even with Wimmer. We have 5 senior players to cover CB and DM. If we play 3-5-2, we need 4 players in those positions so having 5 senior players isnt enough

Wimmer will be here, think preseason showed against quality opposition Wimmer may not be Jan/Toby, but he's miles ahead of CCV.

Wimmer will be here, think preseason showed against quality opposition Wimmer may not be Jan/Toby, but he's miles ahead of CCV.

I didn't say he wouldn't be and agree he's a long way ahead of CCV. We're one short even with him though

I didn't say he wouldn't be and agree he's a long way ahead of CCV. We're one short even with him though

As with any other position it's hard to find a starting quality player who will be happy sitting on the bench 80% of the season.

As with any other position it's hard to find a starting quality player who will be happy sitting on the bench 80% of the season.

I think there will be plenty of players on the continent on a fraction of what we could pay our back ups who would be wiling to come here for a wage increase alone.

I think there will be plenty of players on the continent on a fraction of what we could pay our back ups who would be wiling to come here for a wage increase alone.

But are they the type of players/attitudes you want around your squad? Our hunger is one thing that defines us/helps us over the mercenary teams.

Probably. How many of them would be likely to do a better job than our current backups (not including Sissoko) with little to no game time to get settled in?
Not everyone who wants a pay rise is a mercenary so that's a totally redundant argument
It narrows the pool of potential targets though so I don't think it's a redundant argument.

I'm sure there are players out there who can improve us. But take the CB spot as an example. Wimmer has demonstrated that he's a very capable PL centre back at the very least. To improve on him with someone not just here for the money, with the right potential, within our wage structure isn't an easy task. I think several mid table PL sides would be very happy with Wimmer as a regular first choice. Players better than that level are moving for big money these days.

We don't need to improve on Wimmer, we need a comparable player to him who can play on the right as Poch doesn't like using him there.

Son and Wimmer are good examples of the type of player we can attract from good sides in foreign leagues who aren't put off by the strength of our first team and the challenge of getting game time.

You can't with one breath say that Pochettino is a great manager who any player would love to work under and that we're a club with huge potential and then with the other say we won't be able to attract players here unless we can offer first team football. There will be many many players capable of strengthening this squad in certain positions that we can attract and afford - any player from outside the elite clubs of Europe will see us as an attractive proposition due to wage increase, location, Pochettino, premier league and the exposure it brings. A fair argument as to why we can't strengthen the first team but a complete fallacy to suggest it's the same scenario for our weaker squad positions IMHO

Last edited:
We don't need to improve on Wimmer, we need a comparable player to him who can play on the right as Poch doesn't like using him there.

Son and Wimmer are good examples of the type of player we can attract from good sides in foreign leagues who aren't put off by the strength of our first team and the challenge of getting game time.

You can't with one breath say that Pochettino is a great manager who any player would love to work under and that we're a club with huge potential and then with the other say we won't be able to attract players here unless we can offer first team football. There will be many many players capable of strengthening this squad in certain positions that we can attract and afford - any player from outside the elite clubs of Europe will see us as an attractive proposition due to wage increase, location, Pochettino, premier league and the exposure it brings. A fair argument as to why we can't strengthen the first team but a complete fallacy to suggest it's the same scenario for our weaker squad positions IMHO

I'm not saying that we won't be able to attract players. I'm sure there are a lot of players that would be delighted to sign for us.

But for the best of the club (and secondarily the players we sign) I want us to have a good plan for further development and a reasonable chance of future game time for all our players. I don't want us signing a "decent backup" who can be moved on in a couple pitted years when he grows tired of that role. I think there's a significant opportunity cost in that if that squad role could instead be filled by someone with a good chance of stepping up to the next level and becoming a first team regular or star. Some will fall well short of that and be moved on, but I want that possibility.

So I want someone at the right stage of their development. Someone with bags of potential, but also the ability to perform right now in the squad. Someone not unreasonably expensive. With the right wage demands. That fit our style of play and has the right mentality to work as hard as Poch demands.

I think a fairly limited number of players actually fit that profile. Even for our weaker squad positions. I accept that. And I would accept perhaps not even finding anyone fitting that profile for a given squad role. In which case there will be plenty of players that will be happy enough to do a job for a couple of years. But that's the backup plan. That's not the one month left of the transfer window signing imo.

Just thinking, if we have Chelsea's luck with injuries last season, and get hardly any, then our team/bench looks something like:

--------------lloris
--------dier----toby----vert
trippier---wanyama---dembele---rose
----------eriksen-----dele
---------------kane

subs: vorm, wimmer, davies, winks, lamela, son, jannsen.

with ccv, kwp, onomah, n'koudou, edwards to pad things out.

That really is pretty good imo.

Just thinking, if we have Chelsea's luck with injuries last season, and get hardly any, then our team/bench looks something like:

--------------lloris
---------------kane

You missed someone beginning with S and ending with o

--------------lloris
---------------kane

It is, however most teams always have say 3 injuries at a time and if you move 3 of those outside your match day 18 on to the bench then suddenly the bench looks pretty ordinary

--------------lloris
---------------kane

I think it's a fairly well spoken of amongst the media (Sky pundits especially) and other fans that our first eleven is one of, if not the strongest in the league. It certainly was last season before the others strengthened ££££.

However it's our bench that let's us down in comparison to our rivals. We just don't have the players there who are consistent and good enough to do a regular job without us looking considerably weaker. Janssen still needs to learn and grow, Winks is v.promising but his inexperience could well show, Wimmer is inconsistent and seemingly wants out, Davies is decent enough but is no Rose. Lamela frustrates more than he provides. Arguably Son is the only one there who doesn't weaken us. If we had to bring two or three of those players for any considerable time I think we'd see a drop off in performance and points, especially at Wembley!

And in there lies the problem. We're not going to splash out the big money of this Summer for players (and their wages) who are just going to sit on the bench. So therefore the names we're linked with are of much less ilk than our rivals.

City's bench is going to be outstanding this season, as I just can't see how they'll fit all of Sane, De Bruyne, Aguero, Sterling, Jesus, Bernado, D.Silva, Toure, Fernandinho, Luiz, Walker, Danilo, Mendy and Gundogan into first team spots!! I guess...

Walker -- Stones -- Kompany -- Mendy
---------- Toure ------- D.Silva ----------
---- Bernado -- De Bruyne -- Sane ----
------------------ Jesus ------------------

Which leaves the likes of Aguero, Otamendi, Sterling, Danilo, Gundogan and Fernandinho on the bench!!? That gives them some serious options throughout the season without really weakening the team.

So I want someone at the right stage of their development. Someone with bags of potential, but also the ability to perform right now in the squad. Someone not unreasonably expensive. With the right wage demands. That fit our style of play and has the right mentality to work as hard as Poch demands.
= a young player, but still experienced, with close to world class potential, costing pennies both in transfer and wages.
Should be easy to find....

I'm not saying that we won't be able to attract players. I'm sure there are a lot of players that would be delighted to sign for us.

But for the best of the club (and secondarily the players we sign) I want us to have a good plan for further development and a reasonable chance of future game time for all our players. I don't want us signing a "decent backup" who can be moved on in a couple pitted years when he grows tired of that role. I think there's a significant opportunity cost in that if that squad role could instead be filled by someone with a good chance of stepping up to the next level and becoming a first team regular or star. Some will fall well short of that and be moved on, but I want that possibility.

I think a fairly limited number of players actually fit that profile. Even for our weaker squad positions. I accept that. And I would accept perhaps not even finding anyone fitting that profile for a given squad role. In which case there will be plenty of players that will be happy enough to do a job for a couple of years. But that's the backup plan. That's not the one month left of the transfer window signing imo.

Well yeah I generally agree with all that - and once again I'm not quite sure why you've decided to quote my post and disagree with what I'm saying because nothing there is an argument against the idea that there are players out there who fit our criteria, are affordable, would be willing to come and can fill areas in our squad which need strengthening.

Back