• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

Our play shouldn't have to base it self solely through one player.

We don't have to go target a Modric type player. I'd hate to think we should.

Selling Modric to bring in players who'd allow us to give us more options would be beneficial to the productivity of us going forward as a team.

Would you care to name one of these players? I'm actually interested who you think would be better then Modric in that midfield slot.

Would you care to name one of these players? I'm actually interested who you think would be better then Modric in that midfield slot.

Again we don't need to target a Modric type player for that slot.

I think we already have enough options now with Livermore, Huddlestone, Parker and Sandro in Central Midfield.

Hypothetically if we got 40m for Modric It would be with in reason to suggest that with that money we can bring in Hoilett, Ba, Adebayor, Hazard, Siggurdsson.

For all his supposed creativity we are still ineffective in the final third than we potentially could be with those mentioned players.

Again we don't need to target a Modric type player for that slot.

I think we already have enough options now with Livermore, Huddlestone, Parker and Sandro in Central Midfield.

Hypothetically if we got 40m for Modric It would be with in reason to suggest that with that money we can bring in Hoilett, Ba, Adebayor, Hazard, Siggurdsson.

For all his supposed creativity we are still ineffective in the final third than we potentially could be with those mentioned players.

Livermore, Parker and Sandro lack to creativity to play in that role. Huddlestone has the creativity but he has nowhere near the mobility of Modric.

None of your purchases are an upgrade on Modric, Modric is the engine of the team, he is what drives them. You need a player like him in the side. He has played far too much this season and has lost his freshness, partly due to the unfortunate injury to Huddlestone, as those two can be rotated.

None of your purchases are an upgrade on Modric, Modric is the engine of the team, he is what drives them. You need a player like him in the side. He has played far too much this season and has lost his freshness, partly due to the unfortunate injury to Huddlestone, as those two can be rotated.

Alas Modric has not proved to be an engine at Spurs for quite a while now

oohhh page 100. Have we signed anyone yet?

Well, Vidic... but that's old news.

Modric - I forget when exactly that 40million bid came in, but I think it was a bit late in the transfer window. Due to our typical transfer tardiness, that's not a lot of time to reinvest the money, and with other clubs knowing we're flush from selling one of our most important players (therefore requiring us to replace him), I doubt any alternatives would have come at a cheap/fair price.
True, Modric hasn't had his best games recently, but he's the only one of the midfielders that you mentioned that really offers something going forward. Huddlestone is a decent playmaker, but he operates from deeper back - Parker/Sandro territory. I am looking forward to him returning from injury though. Livermore is still getting experience and has been a solid, dependable option in midfield, but I don't think he has the capability of unlocking the staunchest of PL defenses.

Livermore, Parker and Sandro lack to creativity to play in that role. Huddlestone has the creativity but he has nowhere near the mobility of Modric.

My point is you do not need a creative type player in the center of the park to play creative expansive football when you have much more creative outlets in the team.

Parker, Livermore, Sandro and Huddlestone all have the ability and discipline and can keep it simple whilst doing their roles effectively with no fuss.

Emirates Marketing Project have been successful with this approach and some of there football this season has been sublime.

Last edited:
I actually think he is damaging to our play.

I'd even contest for him not to play any of the 3 remaining games for this season.

Struggling to take your opinion seriously, but I'll try.

Stats from the Blackburn game:

Luka Modric:
Passes: 103/114 (90%)
Received: 105
Attacking Third: 43/52
Chances Created: 5
Take-ons: 4/6

He is easily one of our most important players if not our most important player. He may not have been great in our poor run, but in that case very few players were and I find the idea that our poor run is somehow his fault puzzling. He was generally accepted to be one of our best players in our good run that got us into third and although people keep saying that we became good after we signed Parker and Ade the other thing that happened at that time was that Modric was back and ready. He has had a very good season for us.

Our play shouldn't have to base it self solely through one player.

We don't have to go target a Modric type player. I'd hate to think we should.

Selling Modric to bring in players who'd allow us to give us more options would be beneficial to the productivity of us going forward as a team.

Quite the opposite imo.

Modric has proved that he can play alongside all 3 of Huddlestone, Parker and Sandro in a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1. He can very easily function in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation as well. His workrate and defensive abilities combined with his skills on the ball are very rare and that combination of skills is what gives us options. Meanwhile Parker and Sandro have looked ineffective together at best both in a 4-4-1-1 and in a 4-3-3 and although I think Hudd alongside either Sandro or Parker would be good it would hardly give us tons of options, it would rather be an option.

If we do sell him we probably shouldn't target a Modric type player, but just because there are so few players like him that we probably won't find anyone.

Finally, you seem convinced that we can just take ?ú40m and buy a player or two and it will work out. Most evidence would point towards that not being the case. Even when signing very expensive players there's a very real chance of failure/mediocrity we need look no further back than the Carrick and Berbatov sales at Spurs to see how long it took us to replace two of our best players, or look at some of the money spent by Liverpool, City and Chelsea and how it worked out. That's not even including the additional cost in lost income due to worse performances that might follow as a result.

My point is you do not need a creative type player in the center of the park to play creative expansive football when you have much more creative outlets in the team.

Parker, Livermore, Sandro and Huddlestone all have the ability and discipline and can keep it simple and do their roles effectively with no fuss.

Emirates Marketing Project have been successful with this approach and some of there football this season has been sublime.

That is because they have spent hundred of millions on their midfielders and strikers, i doubt we can really afford to do that.

Parker, Livermore and Sandro are not creative outlets. Livermore and Sandro have both shown flashes, however they would not be consistent enough.

Where do you think our teams creativity would come from?

Bae/Walker? Walker doesn't have the end product, bae is slightly better but his crosses are more for tall target strikers.

Lennon? He likes to run at people yes, but his end product is nowhere near good enough.

Bale? He comes inside and wastes his final ball delivery and his pace.

VdV? He has the creative knack but he plays further up the field so somebody needs to get the ball to him.

Adebayor? He requires service from one of the above.

Parker, Livermore, Sandro and Huddlestone all have the ability and discipline and can keep it simple and do their roles effectively with no fuss.

Who? Benny?

City have Silva, Nasri... even Toure brings the play forward. These are the kinds of players that make defenses brick their pants.

Regardless if we get in to Champions League or not I'd like to see Modric sold in the summer.

Thanks for making me really laugh this evening! That would be madness if we can have another season out of him because of DL's contract hardballing. makes my pants sticky.

Parker, Livermore, Sandro and Huddlestone all have the ability and discipline and can keep it simple whilst doing their roles effectively with no fuss.

Seeing as this hasn't been quite completely ripped to shreds yet... (only almost)

City last season was a team that proved what you look like without a creative player in the centre of the park. Despite spending hundreds of millions they were grinding out results, relying on Tevez to carry them and counter attacking while keeping it very solid at the back.

This season they have changed it up quite a bit. That's why De Jong spends so much time on the bench. They either drop Yaya Toure into one of those deeper roles or they play Barry or Milner in there, or they do both like they did against United. Neither Barry or Milner are fit to even lace Modric's boots of course, and City's shortcomings in that area is one of the reasons why they haven't run away with the title this season, but they are good players who can pass a football well.

Your example is actually an example of the opposite of what you're saying and I challenge you to name a single successful side that hasn't had a creative player in the centre of the park seeing as this example wasn't one.

If you want options you can pick any of Hazard, Livermore, Siggurdsson, Parker, Huddlestone and Sandro to play in Central Midfield.

I'd risk spending big for that than keeping Luke Modric.

This is true, our downfall in form happens to occur at the same point that Modric stops playing at the top of his game.

Coincidence much?

Modric was our engine against Blackburn.

If people are expecting Modric to keep his form at his absolute highest level all season while none of our player do and celebrated players like Silva, Toure and even some of the United boys do not I can only say that your expectations are rather high.

And I actually think it is a coincidence. Modric has had good games when the team hasn't worked as it should, but there have been other problems causing our drop in form.

If you want options you can pick any of Hazard, Livermore, Siggurdsson, Parker, Huddlestone and Sandro to play in Central Midfield.

I'd risk spending big for that than keeping Luke Modric.

How many games have you seen either Hazard or Sigurdsson play as a central midfielder as part of either the deeper two midfielders in a 4-2-3-1 or as the central two in a 4-4-1-1/4-4-2?

Modric was our engine against Blackburn.

If people are expecting Modric to keep his form at his absolute highest level all season while none of our player do and celebrated players like Silva, Toure and even some of the United boys do not I can only say that your expectations are rather high.

And I actually think it is a coincidence. Modric has had good games when the team hasn't worked as it should, but there have been other problems causing our drop in form.

I do not, i mentioned up the page that had Huddlestone been fit they would have been rotated more and Modric would be fresher as a result.

I do not see it as a coincidence, just as one of the factors that have affected it. The second being Bale not fudging well sticking to the left. But as you can clearly see, i am over the second one now.

We'd be absolutely crazy to sell Modric. He is the fulcrum of our team and key to our possession game. Yes, he could be better at some things but I'm finding it hard to think of a player that would come to Spurs and be as good as Modric. Keep him and bring his mate Corluka back too if that is what it takes.

Last edited:
Huddlestone has been a big miss if truth be told. Not only the rotation thing, which I think is less important, but he's effective against those park the bus type teams where his mobility is not as important.

I think Siggurdson would also be affective but for different reasons. He strikes me as the Lampard type, but to be fair I haven't seen a whole lot of him.

Back