• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

The Pienaar argument is interesting actually, in that I do believe in that theory that some players just fit in better at different clubs (ie - Didn't really seem to work out for us but seems top class at Everton).

My point is that there is that factor to consider in every potential transfer a team makes...who's to say that Johnson (as an example) won't just click with our squad and working with Harry and become a world beater?

The Pienaar argument is interesting actually, in that I do believe in that theory that some players just fit in better at different clubs (ie - Didn't really seem to work out for us but seems top class at Everton).

My point is that there is that factor to consider in every potential transfer a team makes...who's to say that Johnson (as an example) won't just click with our squad and working with Harry and become a world beater?

I still think Pienaar could and can do a job for us. He came in at a difficult time and by reports wasn't fully fit, he wasn't given any time to adjust and when the season was over he again got injured and never really got a chance to impress after he regained his fitness. I still don't understand why we let him go without bringing in a replacement. If he was needed as a squad options in January 2011 I don't understand why we didn't need that squad option a year later.

You can of course ask that question about Johnson, but you can ask that question about just about any average player we're linked to. Maybe Carlton Cole will just click with our squad and working with Harry and becomes a world beater? Still don't want us to sign him.

Point is we need to stop looking at cast offs from other clubs, City dont play Johnson and would sell him because he isn't good enough for a squad role at their side so therefore if we are aiming upwards he shouldnt be good enough for a squad role at our club either.

Fair enough if he was young and costing 15-20k a week but assuming Bale and Lennon stay he's not going to be ahead of either of them and 60k a week for a player who cant get into other top 4 squads on our bench is hardly the right way to be going.

Maybe Carlton Cole will just click with our squad and working with Harry and becomes a world beater? Still don't want us to sign him.

Touche.

As it goes, I agree that Pienaar was not given the chance he should have been and it was a mistake to let him go. Especially considering how short of cover we've been since then and also the good playing relationship he supposedly had with VDV at Ajax.

Point is we need to stop looking at cast offs from other clubs, City dont play Johnson and would sell him because he isn't good enough for a squad role at their side so therefore if we are aiming upwards he shouldnt be good enough for a squad role at our club either.

Hmm..could City be the exception to this rule?

Thing is Marin and Podolski are the players we should be targeting, 2nd tier of players yet young enough and with enough talent demonstrated that they could fire us up the league. Both were cheap for today's standards and probably not on crazy wages either.

From what I have heard from numerous German journalist since the weekend is that Marin has gone backwards over the past 18 months and they were surprised that Chelsea went in for him.

Fair enough if he was young and costing 15-20k a week but assuming Bale and Lennon stay he's not going to be ahead of either of them and 60k a week for a player who cant get into other top 4 squads on our bench is hardly the right way to be going.

While your analysis is sound in theory in practice Emirates Marketing Project are buying superior players to us and it "seems" we are not in a position to match them so some of their cast-offs may well be good enough to be in our squad unfortunately

While your analysis is sound in theory in practice Emirates Marketing Project are buying superior players to us and it "seems" we are not in a position to match them so some of their cast-offs may well be good enough to be in our squad unfortunately

Ade has done alright. :)

VdV was a Real Madric cast off, City aren't quite at the level Madrid are, but their squad players aren't much worse...

I'm not against buying unwanted players from better clubs if we can get them in cheaply, can be a very good idea. Just not Adam Johnson :evil:

Ade has done alright. :)

VdV was a Real Madric cast off, City aren't quite at the level Madrid are, but their squad players aren't much worse...

I'm not against buying unwanted players from better clubs if we can get them in cheaply, can be a very good idea. Just not Adam Johnson :evil:

Just to confirm, I take it you're really not into the idea of Adam Johnson then? :lol:

braineclipse, personally I do not think Ade has done enough. He has been first choice all season and has missed waay too many chances. I would not be happy if we are starting next season with Ade as our number 1 striker

braineclipse, personally I do not think Ade has done enough. He has been first choice all season and has missed waay too many chances. I would not be happy if we are starting next season with Ade as our number 1 striker

You have a point, although his combined goal and assist stat is quite impressive and I don't think many people would argue against that he has been the best striker at the club since Berbatov.

Would love to see us get someone even better in, but I fear that next season we will be without Ade (because of wages) and miss him as we won't find anyone even as good as him, never mind better.

Who can we realistically sign that will contribute more?

I share your frustration at Adebayors lack of killer instinct in front of goal but think he has made such a significant contribution to the team he will be hard to improve upon (on the basis we plan to maintain our current playing style)

He has a respectable (rather than spectacular) goal total, a very good assist total, and has been the single biggest contribution to our improved attacking play this season IMO.

Big shoes to fill for someone else

Ade can be annoying in front of goal, not really a clinical finisher, but he still manage a 1 in 2 average.

Check out all our strikers Premier League games per goal ratio

1.86 - Jurgen Klinsmann
2.23 - Emmanuel Adebayor
2.40 - Teddy Sheringham
2.52 ÔÇô Rafael van der Vaart
2.59 - Dimitar Berbatov
2.62 - Robbie Keane
2.91 ÔÇô Jermain Defoe
2.94 ÔÇô Chris Armstrong
3.33 - Darren Bent
3.43 - Ahmed Mido
3.58 - Les Ferdinand
3.71 - Roman Pavlyuchenko
3.97 - Steffen Iversen
4.29 - Frederic Kanoute
4.35 - Nicky Barmby

Ade can be annoying in front of goal, not really a clinical finisher, but he still manage a 1 in 2 average.

Check out all our strikers Premier League games per goal ratio

1.86 - Jurgen Klinsmann
2.23 - Emmanuel Adebayor
2.40 - Teddy Sheringham
2.52 – Rafael van der Vaart
2.59 - Dimitar Berbatov
2.62 - Robbie Keane
2.91 – Jermain Defoe
2.94 – Chris Armstrong
3.33 - Darren Bent
3.43 - Ahmed Mido
3.58 - Les Ferdinand
3.71 - Roman Pavlyuchenko
3.97 - Steffen Iversen
4.29 - Frederic Kanoute
4.35 - Nicky Barmby

That simply explains why top 4 finishes have been so rare for us. Chelsea will strength big time this summer while Arsenal have already brought in a striker. We can forget about competing with the two Manchester clubs. If we do not improve on Ade we can forget about competing seriously for a top 4 place next season

Who can we realistically sign that will contribute more?

I share your frustration at Adebayors lack of killer instinct in front of goal but think he has made such a significant contribution to the team he will be hard to improve upon (on the basis we plan to maintain our current playing style)

He has a respectable (rather than spectacular) goal total, a very good assist total, and has been the single biggest contribution to our improved attacking play this season IMO.

Big shoes to fill for someone else

I would go for Leandro Damiao and Lo?»c R?®my and send Ade back to Emirates Marketing Project. If I were manager of Spurs I would like to thing I would have a longer list of names at my fingertips.

If we made CL I would also seriously consider a bid for Higuain. There is a lot of chatter in the Madrid press that he may be on the move this summer. ?ú25m who knows, they might bite just to freshen their squad.

I havent seen enough of Leandro to conclude he would have a greater impact than Adebayor, and with the best intent, I doubt you have either. So many people talk this lad up as the second coming, virtually none are qualified to actually state that though (having only seen his name mentioned as a popular choice, researched a bit of youtube and followed the crowd...)

Remy is an interesting one, looks VERY good fromwhat I have seen - though I would see him more as a compliment to Ade than a replacement. A 433 with Adebayor flanked by Bale and Remy sounds very exciting to me. Not sure if I see Remy bringing more to the team in place of Ade though.

If Higuain goes anywhere it wont be here. We will be priced out in an instant.

Though I agree, if I were manager I would have researched a raft of options - not all big name either.

You have a point, although his combined goal and assist stat is quite impressive and I don't think many people would argue against that he has been the best striker at the club since Berbatov.

Would love to see us get someone even better in, but I fear that next season we will be without Ade (because of wages) and miss him as we won't find anyone even as good as him, never mind better.

Can only imagine our team with a better version of Berbatov (2nd half of his first season). I get the impression there are lots of players on the cusp of being that good, Cavani two summers ago, after a mediocre World Cup was the one we missed (though he may never have flourished here like he has at Napoli). Shame we probably haven't a hope now though.

The other Uruguayan Hernandez was called out as 'the one' from their current crop, he's had a mediocre season by the look of it but signed an extension, is he developing still, has he been injured? We bid last summer his agent said, never watched him though, so have no idea.

Back