• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur Vs West Brom *** *** OMT ***

Why do we start games so slowly with no directness or aggression? we start games too slow most of the time. Dont they get fired up enough beforehand? warm up not intense enough?
It's rare for us to get caught out that early. As for scoring early ourselves, assuming your question is serious (not gonna get caught out again!) we'd need to look at stats showing what time our goals are scored as compared with other teams.

@SteveAWOL maybe able to help.

Having been at the game the predominant theme was the disgraceful time wasting by Ben Foster which really doesn't come across through the Motd highlights but is briefly alluded to on the Sky coverage. Now, is this because we're more conscious of it as fans of the team 'wronged' by the alleged misdemeanour or was it a genuine factor?....of course we were poor too....too many of our attackers were off the pace with poor touch and lack of pace and thrust wide. I couldn't make a case that Foster's behaviour cost us the win but it was a constant and deliberate attempt to delay the restart of play which was only acted upon in the 83rd minute despite Jones waving him to hurry him up from the 14th minute onwards.

I get the fact that when we pay to go and watch a football match we have no ability to dictate the ability, performance of both teams and if someone decides to park the bus and play for a 0-0 thats one thing but I certainly dont pay to watch a goalkeeper take over 30 seconds to place a ball on the 6-yard box, to take refreshment at every opportunity or let a ball bounce off his chest in an attempt to buy some extra seconds. Foster has previous for this against us.

What was more of an issue was that M Jones did nothing about it! Authories are now taking action to stamp out diving having taken retrospective action against Niasse and we'd all agree that diving is a behaviour which brings the game into disripute; likewise the tackle from behind has improved the ability for better players to influence games. Yesterday's gross timewasting is equally an ill that goes completely against the ideals of the game and needs to be looked at - it spoils the game for everyone.

I was also at the game and every time they had a goal kick or throw-in it felt like an age had passed, so I was very surprised to read this... o_O

“Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino complained about West Brom's time-wasting in their 1-1 draw at Wembley.

Baggies keeper Ben Foster was even spotted kicking the ball away from a ballboy in the first half as Spurs lost ground on their title rivals in their frustrating encounter.

However, statistics show the ball was in play for 61 minutes and 26 seconds, the third highest in the Premier League this weekend.”

Read more at https://talksport.com/football/aver...01718-season-171127263506#PvO3rHrUYwZQXB0T.99

Especially considering West Brom’s previous for time wasting!

“A 90-minute match but only 47 minutes and 40 seconds of actual football.

At Turf Moor on Saturday, Burnley and West Brom played out a game in which the ball was in play for only 160 seconds more than it was out.

Though these are early days, no Premier League match so far this season has seen less action.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40993250

Last edited:
It's what the likes of WBA do. They waste as much time as the weak refereeing allows.
Don't just blame WBA it's the refs job to administer, he bottled it.

As you say its nothing new in football to waste time, i even remember the really boring days under Francis and in some games when we named more defenders then forwards.

As you say its nothing new in football to waste time, i even remember the really boring days under Francis and in some games when we named more defenders then forwards.

My football memory deletes 95% of all the matches I watch a couple of months after I've watched them.
What does still sick in my memory is all the time wasted by the likes of Liverpool in all those dire European matches back in the day.
Until a goalkeeper is sent off it will never stop!
The uproar that would follow would be very load indeed.

From high up in the stands it was easy to see that West Brom had us worked out, and I think a lot of teams have now. Sit back, let us pass it back and forth, keep your concentration and wait for the inevitable error (and that didn’t take long today).

There is zero dynamism in the team in the league at the moment. Everything is sideways or backwards. And we seem to have a game plan that involves only going for it second half. We effectively wasted the first 45 minutes today.

Oh, and Wembley is an atmosphere vacuum when we are at 0-0 or losing.
This is what I am seeing too. And it makes sense to pass sideways or backwards when we are attacking an organized defense. But there have been a number of instances in this game and others where the opposition was in the process of getting organized, because they had lost the ball higher up the pitch, and instead of us pushing forward we slowed it down, started passing sideways (OK fine) and backwards (whyyy???) and gave them the opportunity to regroup. Poch speaks a lot about bravery in his interviews and in his book. Yet it seems that we are more concerned about making a mistake than we are about trying to push forward, even though that may mean we lose the ball (and if we do, it's higher up the pitch, so no big harm in that). These are two things that are in contradiction with each other. How can you say be brave, yet the players seem to be anything but on many occasions? Maybe the messaging needs to be better, I don't know.

Last edited:
I rewatched the entire game last night (sad I know) and these are my observations.

We battered them for 75 of the 90 minutes. Didn't concede a corner and of the two shots they had, one went in.

Eriksen should never have come out for the second half, he was clearly not in the right mind to be playing.

Kane needs to remember that its a team game. Alli and Son occasionally get caught in possession trying to do too much but Kane rarely ever looks for a killer pass.

Sanchez might have been to blame for letting Rondon get that shot off but he really didn't do much wrong. Alli was more to blame.

The Wembley crowd is flat against these smaller teams however despite this we rained shots and pressure on them. Trippier must have delivered 15 crosses that game, most of them into decent areas.

Davies looks like he's ready to hand that starting shirt over to Rose as soon as google head finishes losing weight.

Dembele, Lorente were good subs and for once Poch brought them on early enough.

Spreading the ball out wide is our best bet against locked defences. 9 out of 10 games like that we will win.

Don't lose faith yet guys we were easily the better team and players coming back like Lamela, Rose and Wanyama will give us a boost over Xmas.

I rewatched the entire game last night (sad I know) and these are my observations.

We battered them for 75 of the 90 minutes. Didn't concede a corner and of the two shots they had, one went in.

Eriksen should never have come out for the second half, he was clearly not in the right mind to be playing.

Kane needs to remember that its a team game. Alli and Son occasionally get caught in possession trying to do too much but Kane rarely ever looks for a killer pass.

Sanchez might have been to blame for letting Rondon get that shot off but he really didn't do much wrong. Alli was more to blame.

The Wembley crowd is flat against these smaller teams however despite this we rained shots and pressure on them. Trippier must have delivered 15 crosses that game, most of them into decent areas.

Davies looks like he's ready to hand that starting shirt over to Rose as soon as google head finishes losing weight.

Spreading the ball out wide is our best bet against locked defences. 9 out of 10 games like that we will win.

Don't lose faith yet guys we were easily the better team and players coming back like Lamela, Rose and Wanyama will give us a boost over Xmas.
This sort of positive post is potentially too positive for many on here... But it's right up my alley, so to speak.

Good post.

Poch speaks a lot about bravery in his interviews and in his book. Yet it seems that we are more concerned about making a mistake than we are about trying to push forward, even though that may mean we lose the ball (and if we do, it's higher up the pitch, so no big harm in that). These are two things that are in contradiction with each other. How can you say be brave, yet the players seem to be anything but on many occasions? Maybe the messaging needs to be better, I don't know.
Were we not pushing higher up the pitch and taking risks against West Brom when Alli lost possession resulting in us conceded that early goal?

Sanchez found himself one-on-one with the rest of the defence higher up the pitch leaving us that much more vulnerable to his error.

It's what the likes of WBA do. They waste as much time as the weak refereeing allows.
Don't just blame WBA it's the refs job to administer, he bottled it.

I dont think anyone is absolving the ref, it is 100% his fault it continued as it did. Bottom line is that he knew he didnt have the bottle to send Foster off for timewasting, which he would have had to do had he reprimanded Foster earlier.

I wouldnt go so far as to say it cost us the result, but I would go so far as to say it had am ajor impact on our ability to get any momentum going. Which is why I feel it is such bad sportsmanship. It was a blatant attempt to nobble the oppositions ability to play by unreasonable means.

When you are sinking that low to get results, what does it say about your team?

Were we not pushing higher up the pitch and taking risks against West Brom when Alli lost possession resulting in us conceded that early goal?

Sanchez found himself one-on-one with the rest of the defence higher up the pitch leaving us that much more vulnerable to his error.
When Alli lost the ball it was from a pass backwards.

I dont think anyone is absolving the ref, it is 400% his fault it continued as it did. Bottom line is that he knew he didnt have the bottle to send Foster off for timewasting, which he would have had to do had he reprimanded Foster earlier.

I wouldnt go so far as to say it cost us the result, but I would go so far as to say it had am ajor impact on our ability to get any momentum going. Which is why I feel it is such bad sportsmanship. It was a blatant attempt to nobble the oppositions ability to play by unreasonable means.

When you are sinking that low to get results, what does it say about your team?

Going from Pulis to Pardew says it all. To say WBA are majorly risk averse is an understatement.

Going from Pulis to Pardew says it all. To say WBA are majorly risk averse is an understatement.

Pardew? Didn't they hire Megson? Spoke to a colleague today who used to play for Stockport in the 90's, he said Megson was the biggest goon he had encountered in his years playing football professionally, always yelling at and abusing his players. Sounds about right for West brom. :p

Pardew? Didn't they hire Megson? Spoke to a colleague today who used to play for Stockport in the 90's, he said Megson was the biggest goon he had encountered in his years playing football professionally, always yelling at and abusing his players. Sounds about right for West brom. :p

He was part of the coaching team under Pulis along with Gerry Francis and is now caretaker. He did get them promoted to the PL twice when he was in charge from 2000-2004 and I remember them as a terrible, negative side.

Back