• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine OMT***

So one player out of the £100ms those two clubs have spent, not exactly a ringing endorsement of your argument.
Look everyone thought Chelsea were stupid for spending like that on players that are just young but not so proven. The USA guy was obviously over excited.

Football is always like this, especially a club like Spurs. Lose some 'easier' games and get some points in more difficult ones. Not to mention those below us will drop plenty of points....

This. Not sure whether we get 4th. But 10 points clear of United with 6 left.

We will pick up points from at least one of the tougher games. It would be a big ask for United to take max pints as well given how inconsistent they’ve been.

Honestly the Europa is no hardship as long as Ange has a real fudging crack at the cups next year. No doubt the brief will be Top 4 though. I think we'll finish fifth this time, as long as Arsenal don't collect one of the big pots it will feel like a good season I reckon. The thing is with Liverpool in transition and City surely burning out at some point Arsenal do look likely to win the league this year or in the next couple unfortunately.

"What did you say to them after the game?"... Ange: "Nothing. (There'll be) plenty to say during the week."

Good, hope he has lessons for them all, back four and defensive coaching staff in particular.

It's not the getting bent over to Saudi Sportswashing Machine at St James that is so frustrating - we've seen that story many times over the years. It's that the same issues are occurring that have been for months and we are still no closer to finding the solutions.

The new manager bounce at the start of the season definitely over inflated some people's assessments of both the team and manager. Some were still sure that with the return of our injured players we would rocket back up to title challenging status which was pretty wishful thinking.

Anges philosophy is fun, and ballsy but if he really wants to prove himself a winner in this league he will have to adjust. It's also right to point out it's still only his first season in charge, one which new managers use to find out what they need to about their players.

So whilst going through this poor patch the good thing is he will be identifying the players which need replacing. The bad news is this rebuild might well involve a lot more work than we originally thought. But to be fair, if this is the 'painful' part whilst we have all but sewn up a top 5 position (or at the very least European football) - it's not that bad is it.....
I refuse to get on Ange's back until next season at the earliest. I've seen glimpses of the kind of football I like to watch, it's just that the players has stopped doing it. I remember being taken back by not only the passing, but the speed of the passing we played in the beginning. This from a team that hadn't strung together 5 passes for 3 seasons. And we had movement up top, opening up defences. Then it stopped.

In one way we have set ourselves up to fail, for eons we made up the numbers in the league and went all in for the domestic cups, hoping to sneak into UEFA via fair play and such. Suddenly we are CL participants and league contenders without really having the system set up for it. We've come to raise the expectations so high that it's nigh on impossible to fulfill them. ENIC has to their credit tried to build such a system to raise income and accommodate higher spending. One can say what one will about ENIC, but no one can accuse them of sitting on their hands.

Regarding the squad, as I mentioned earlier you simply cannot say that we don't need to replace, say, Richarlison and still be contenders for the top trophies. Son may very well support a title-contending team at this stage, but he simply cannot carry one. Even promising players like Sarr is a stretch for 3-5 years still, unless they're moved to a "ready" squad. In fact, I think most of our first XI has the quality to be able to play for the real top teams, but NOT more than one, at most two of them in the same team. Apart from VdV and Vicario (and Gil of course), Maddison is my only clear near-future hope, we haven't seen the best of him yet. If he can keep the drive up in a team working for each other, he will shine. He is that good. The remaining squad is pretty much as good as they are for the position we are in. 20-25 years ago I would have bitten, preferably someone else's, hand off for simply being in a position to qualify for Champions League. We even try to play good entertaining football, but we aren't very good at it right now. Thanks to our great start, that is now fifth. The rest is up to a manager with a clear and adaptable system, that is "easy" to implement new players into, and have a backup plan when the game doesn't go along as planned. Do such managers exist anymore?

Last edited:
The only good thing about defeats like this is that you very quickly find out the people who don't have the backbone to ride out the inevitable bumps -- bumps that everyone called before the season started. Lots of those on here it seems.

Seen a lot of talk of "it's Ossie again" or "Pep and Klopp had similar struggles". Both are true and Ange could go either way. But he deserves a hell of a lot of time to try.

We are in a very good position overall so he has tonnes of credit in the bank. We were always going to have days like Fulham and today and we will have more of them whether Ange goes the way of Ossie or Pep. Our fanbase seems to swing wildly from ecstasy to despair based on individual results.

I refuse to get on Ange's back until next season at the earliest. I've seen glimpses of the kind of football I like to watch, it's just that the players has stopped doing it. I remember being taken back by not only the passing, but the speed of the passing we played in the beginning. This from a team that hadn't strung together 5 passes for 3 seasons. And we had movement up top, opening up defences. Then it stopped.

In one way we have set ourselves up to fail, for eons we made up the numbers in the league and went all in for the domestic cups, hoping to sneak into UEFA via fair play and such. Suddenly we are CL participants and league contenders without really having the system set up for it. We've come to raise the expectations so high that it's nigh on impossible to fulfill them. ENIC has to their credit tried to build such a system to raise income and accommodate higher spending. One can say what one will about ENIC, but no one can accuse them of sitting on their hands.

Regarding the squad, as I mentioned earlier you simply cannot say that we don't need to replace, say, Richarlison and still be contenders for the top trophies. Son may very well support a title-contending team at this stage, but he simply cannot carry one. Even promising players like Sarr is a stretch for 3-5 years still, unless they're moved to a "ready" squad. In fact, I think most of our first XI has the quality to be able to play for the real top teams, but NOT more than one, at most two of them in the same team. Apart from VdV and Vicario (and Gil of course), Maddison is my only clear near-future hope, we haven't seen the best of him yet. If he can keep the drive up in a team working for each other, he will shine. He is that good. The remaining squad is pretty much as good as they are for the position we are in. 20-25 years ago I would have bitten, preferably someone else's, hand off for simply being in a position to qualify for Champions League. We even try to play good entertaining football, but we aren't very good at it right now. The rest is up to a manager with a clear and adaptable system, that is "easy" to implement new players into, and have a backup plan when the game doesn't go along as planned. Do such managers exist anymore?

How we are playing now is what I expected in the first half of the season. What I seen in the first 10 games of the season is what I thought we could be next season.
Fans need to be patient.

I haven't seen any naysayers or doom mongers myself, maybe I'm missing those posts.

As far as I can see everyone is behind him but there are obviously things (like defending set pieces) that need to be fixed. I thought discussing what we observe during games was the point of the forum.

Pointing out that the way we defend is not sustainable or that players are below levels isn't getting on anyone's back or 'not believing ' it's factual.

Half the time the people having a go at perceived moaning are worse than what they claim to not like in others.

How we are playing now is what I expected in the first half of the season. What I seen in the first 10 games of the season is what I thought we could be next season.
Fans need to be patient.
Agree, I would love to see Ange's way come close to it's full potential, like Poch was able to. Whether that is win or lose remains to be seen, although I'd rather be entertained losing than be bored out of my skin losing. Still, he's not above questioning for decisions, I mean, what else are we as fans supposed to do on a forum, right?

Back