• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs Panathinaikos OMT ***

Re: where did it all go wrong?!

I think we just switched off. We should have had a better cushion by half time, went down a gear and got caught. Poor outcome but nothing too shocking or worth doing a forensic investigation on.

I'm sure some people will say my OMT is at fault, which obviously didn't have any fireworks.jpg

But seriously I really do think we have a problem with mentality and complacency. I don't believe everything ANY manager says post-match, be it Harry or AVB. However, I just hope that no manager in charge of this club actually believes his own flimflam and that no players would be happy with themselves after a performance like that.

Caught some of the game, the gist IMO was our players got bored...

Sacking Redknapp. Our best manager since John Cameron. We will never recover.

Seriously though - lack of a focal point upfront and not enough creativity in midfield - basically the things we've struggled with in home (or home-esque) games all season.

I think it's interesting that in two of prime positions AVB has looked to move very far from who we have to what he wants, we suffered. This is an observation more than anything. I think Daws has a winning mentality but simply doesn't fit what AVB wants to do, and I think Hudd does not have top 4 mentality (he will also forever be managing an injury)...

(EDIT: they were very obviously NOT the only culprits, as I thought Bale looked elsewhere and Walker continued his worrying streak)...

Caught some of the game, the gist IMO was our players got bored...

Agree. Aside from keeping your players fresh, this is one of the main reasons for using the squad for a game like this. Someone like Townsend would have had more to prove than Lennon, Bale or Dempsey. Smith similarly. Mason as well. Really dont understand the point of not playing a few fringe players. Shoul dplay 4 or 5 first choice players but then pad the rest of the team out with people like Daws or Thudd who arent first choice plus a few kids

You cant tell the same players that were told this competition is a waste of time for the last few seasons that the competition is important this season.
They can't change their mindset that quickly. The reality is that AVB is the only person at the club that cares about the competion at this stage.
The player's attitudes might change once we somehow get to the semi finals.

Plainly underestimated the opposition and got complacent. Typical club mentality; always an issue, no matter who the manager is, it would appear.

Incidentally, to the OP,

a) facety
b) feisty
c) either or both, or
d) none of the above ...?

As in feisty.

I do wonder if Avb is able to command the respect of players enough to give them a dressing down at half time like saf clearly did (not that I don't rate Avb). And I'm not having a go at Avb but all young managers have the same problem.

Clearly after the Chelsea debacle he's trying to be less dictatorial, but I wonder if its dented his confidence, his swagger. He comes across much more humble now to his credit but I'd like to see some of that ****iness come back, because I think the players could do with some of that mojo on the field.

Will be better able to answer that seeing how we perform on Sunday of course, but I will go with C: a bit of both.

"We were a bit sloppy in the second half. I understand the disappointment at not putting the game to bed, but in the end we congratulated the players because if it had been other way round, the perspective would have been different. Panathinaikos came at us very strong in the second half; they made a change with Ibrahim Sissoko. He improved the quality of their game and we could not stay in control of the game so much in the second half."

IMO, if the opposition start pressing more, it's up to the manager to either make a change that will relieve that pressure and allow us to continue dictating the game. Maybe it was as simple as the players being a bit tired and a few not having full match-fitness, but like I said before, I really hope that AVB at least learned something from that encounter.

its all about scoring goals. we need two goals and then to keep up the attacking threat to keep the opposition on the back heels. in fact our goal scoring threat overall is just equivalent to the likes of reading, norwich and panathinaikos. we only look good going forwards, unable to turn that into concrete goals.
we are like an racecar that can hit topspeed once only in a race, then try to block the rest from taking over the lead.

Back