• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project

Your quoting the spin after the Jol debacle and Levy's only panic moment as Chairman. In his inaugural speech when he first became chairman he talked about the stadium and infrastructure at the forefront of his ambitions. I think we have had this conversation before on here, I put up his statement from that time detailing what he said saying the stadium was an important issue should the club want to grow.

When he took over from David Buchler full time, they had planning permission to build from 36k to 44k.

Preliminary planning permission but yeah, it was in the plans from the beginning

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2001/oct/17/newsstory.sport

We had the planning permission from Sugar's application. It was preliminary because the S106 hadn't been signed:

Redevelopment of the existing east stand to form a new three tier stand with increased capacity and improved spectator facilities. Consultation letter re details of traffic report, landscaped/streetscape improvements, applicants planning statement, report on TV reception. (HGY/2000/0574)

Would it have been better if we had gone ahead ? We would have had 44k for a few years, an increase of just over 20% which would translate to an extra £10m a year. Not really enough to make a big difference and it would have to be paid for. Instead of the new stadium we would probably be looking at expanding the West Stand. A matching 18k stand would take the capacity to around 56k.

P.S. I have compiled a close to complete list of planning applications by Spurs with links to the Haringey web site: http://spurs1882.org/index.php?opti...ons&catid=65&Itemid=480&showall=&limitstart=4

jts1882, great site with an awsome collection of planning applications. But do you know what would make it better? Having a link to the actual application.. Also I wonder if you have seen the artist impression of a new 3 tier north stand, back in the 80's? The pic was posted on here years ago which was taken from a match day programme. I should have grabbed a copy back then..
Anyway I thought I must of dreamt it because I could never find that pic or any references to it..
Perhaps its application HGY/1989/0713, listed on your site?

I would love to see that pic again.

jts1882, great site with an awsome collection of planning applications. But do you know what would make it better? Having a link to the actual application.. Also I wonder if you have seen the artist impression of a new 3 tier north stand, back in the 80's? The pic was posted on here years ago which was taken from a match day programme. I should have grabbed a copy back then..
Anyway I thought I must of dreamt it because I could never find that pic or any references to it..
Perhaps its application HGY/1989/0713, listed on your site?

I would love to see that pic again.

I have the links to the Haringey planning pages and they have the documents for all the recent ones. They just have the summaries for the older one. I don't think the applications are available. I think I have a copy of the that picture somewhere

HGY/1989/0713 is an aborted plan for the old north stand and was superceded by HGY/1995/1195 which is the one they built.

Edit:

Turns out I have a copy of the planning statement. No idea where I found it, so I've uploaded it here: http://spurs1882.org/images/history/WHL_EastStand2001_PlanningStatement.pdf

I'm not sure exactly what these pictures are. In the overall plan the East Stand with planning permission was step one and a similar replacement of the West Stand is step two.

http://spurs1882.org/images/history/WHLredevelopment1.jpg
http://spurs1882.org/images/history/WHLredevelopment2.jpg

Seems more likely those pictures are of the new west stand which would have been step two. There is a description in the following link to Skyscrapercity.com: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=49878807

Last edited:

I don't think the issue was ever that WHL couldn't be expanded more that financially the costs of doing so don't stack up. Like it or not corporates bring in a huge amount of revenue per season and having more boxes and better facilities is what a new stadium brings. Also don't forget that non match day corporate income is a big part of things these days, lots of businesses want to host conferences and meetings etc. Of course there are loads of other benefits to non corporate people but that's one reason for doing it.

Thanks, but i already have those ones.Im the one who originall y found Alan sugars east stand plans and posted them up a few years ago. The other pics are the redeveloped West stand which were commisioned by ENIC.

The North stand pic I saw was from a match day program and was an artists impression of what they thought it would look like. From what I remember it was 3-tiered and had pillars (I think) Anyway I think it was originally posted by ginola99, and was in the summer of 07 or 08 I think. It would be great if you could find it..

Thanks

I have the links to the Haringey planning pages and they have the documents for all the recent ones. They just have the summaries for the older one. I don't think the applications are available. I think I have a copy of the that picture somewhere

HGY/1989/0713 is an aborted plan for the old north stand and was superceded by HGY/1995/1195 which is the one they built.

Edit:

Turns out I have a copy of the planning statement. No idea where I found it, so I've uploaded it here: http://spurs1882.org/images/history/WHL_EastStand2001_PlanningStatement.pdf

I'm not sure exactly what these pictures are. In the overall plan the East Stand with planning permission was step one and a similar replacement of the West Stand is step two.

http://spurs1882.org/images/history/WHLredevelopment1.jpg
http://spurs1882.org/images/history/WHLredevelopment2.jpg

Seems more likely those pictures are of the new west stand which would have been step two. There is a description in the following link to Skyscrapercity.com: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=49878807

This one? Although the text mentions a covered kop and the picture shows three tiers.

3-tier_Paxton_ca1988.jpg

Last edited:

YES! THATS THE ONE!!

Thanks, i have been looking for that for years!!

Looks Kinda kool, trying to zoom in to read all the txts. Do you know if this was before the taylor report? Was it 15,000 seated or standing?

Did you ever see the plans for the west stand before they built it in 1982?

Thanks

This one? Although the text mentions a covered kop and the picture shows three tiers.

3-tier_Paxton_ca1988.jpg

YES! THATS THE ONE!!

Thanks, i have been looking for that for years!!

Looks Kinda kool, trying to zoom in to read all the txts. Do you know if this was before the taylor report? Was it 15,000 seated or standing?

Did you ever see the plans for the west stand before they built it in 1982?

Thanks

I don't have specific information. For the new plans I do examine the planning documents, but for the old ones it will be mainly information posted on Skyscrapercity or G-G (I've been a lurker of various predecessors before joining this one).

I can say the file name on my computer is "Plans for 3-tier Paxton (ca 1988).jpg", dated June 2008. That suggests I named the file because whoever posted the image thought it was around 1988 and that the Paxton part was important.

If you read the text it mentions provision of 3000 new standing season tickets in the East Stand and plans for a covered Kop in the North, which must place it before Taylor. It also mentions that the decision on the East Stand was taken after the February 28 approval by the local authority and that applications for the 1989/90 season could be made from March 27. So this suggests the programme was from early March 1988.

Edit
: Our home games were Derby (Mar 1), Everton (Mar 9), Norwich (Mar 12), Forest (Mar 26) and a testimonial against United (Mar 28). Derby is too soon after the planning decision and do they do programmes for testimonials? So that probably puts the date as March 9/12/26, 1988.

Last edited:

I don't think the issue was ever that WHL couldn't be expanded more that financially the costs of doing so don't stack up. Like it or not corporates bring in a huge amount of revenue per season and having more boxes and better facilities is what a new stadium brings. Also don't forget that non match day corporate income is a big part of things these days, lots of businesses want to host conferences and meetings etc. Of course there are loads of other benefits to non corporate people but that's one reason for doing it.

corporate income + non atmosphere = non income!

Stadium ITK from one of the guys who often posts stadium updates.

Edmonton: "New stadium or Leandro in a Spurs shirt - what comes first?... I'm hearing one of them soon"

Sounds like we might have an imminent announcement???

That Emirates Marketing Project stuff sounds superb, replays and alternate camera angles, maybe instant interviews or half time insight, there's all sorts they could do with it.

Stadium ITK from one of the guys who often posts stadium updates.

Edmonton: "New stadium or Leandro in a Spurs shirt - what comes first?... I'm hearing one of them soon"

Sounds like we might have an imminent announcement???

He's posted this today

Don't bother for while, nothing interesting for months except maybe cpo decision.

KSS no longer involved. This is not public. I think going back to them is plan B.

Also with this there might be a design change.

It could be a load of bull but there has been nothing from the club recently on the stadium whilst all levy said in his end of season message was how they working hard to deliver the stadium. Will have to wait and see if these rumours are true but for me the focus of the club should be keeping Bale whilst strengthening the squad.

If those KSS rumors are true, I for one WELCOME them and here is why:

Design:
I always HATED the stadium design, specifically those stupid dipping corners like the Emirates. They are a waste. I really dont see why we couldnt have the upper bowl going acros at the same like, like the New Bayern stadium, that would be soo much better.

Capacity:
56 is simple too small, MINIMUM of 60 is needed, with room for expantion to say 65 - 70, its as simple as that.

Single tier:
Whilst i know 99% of the people loved it, I didnt. I felt it looked like a piece of the old stadium left over, as the stands did not join properly. It felt piece-meal if you know what I mean.
It was also only 9,000 capacity. For comparion th KOP at Anfield is 13,000, ours was far too small.

We will only get 1 chance to do this, so Id rather they did it right, even if it means delaying for a year.

He's posted this today

Also with this there might be a design change.

It could be a load of bull but there has been nothing from the club recently on the stadium whilst all levy said in his end of season message was how they working hard to deliver the stadium. Will have to wait and see if these rumours are true but for me the focus of the club should be keeping Bale whilst strengthening the squad.

If those KSS rumors are true, I for one WELCOME them and here is why:

Design:
I always HATED the stadium design, specifically those stupid dipping corners like the Emirates. They are a waste. I really dont see why we couldnt have the upper bowl going acros at the same like, like the New Bayern stadium, that would be soo much better.

Capacity:
56 is simple too small, MINIMUM of 60 is needed, with room for expantion to say 65 - 70, its as simple as that.

Single tier:
Whilst i know 99% of the people loved it, I didnt. I felt it looked like a piece of the old stadium left over, as the stands did not join properly. It felt piece-meal if you know what I mean.
It was also only 9,000 capacity. For comparion th KOP at Anfield is 13,000, ours was far too small.

We will only get 1 chance to do this, so Id rather they did it right, even if it means delaying for a year.

fudge that.

If the design changes too much, it will have to have resubmitted planning applications.

So yeah, fudge that

They have said there will be a revised plan anyway, at least to change the plinth/plaza, like the ones for the northern and southern parts last spring. At this stage, with the stadium a key anchor component of the whole North Tottenham development, the Council is unlikely to oppose changes without good reason. As long as the footprint and height are not changed dramatically, I'd imagine they can do anything to the interior without a problem. Due to the transport plan any expansion might have to be planned in for the future rather than in the immediate build (e.g. opening at 58k with options for a 65k capacity).

P.S. I'd be surprised if there was a change in the architects at this stage.

Saw this in the ITK thread.

Who: The Goat
When: 1st June
Where: SC

The Goat hears that very recent meetings have taken place regarding the new stadium during which the possibility of a 'Song Gang' getting involved in the naming rights was discussed.

The Goat, 47 minutes ago

I have never ever heard the term 'Song Gang' in my life, not even Google seems to know :eek:

Trust Mr Webb to know that one. Maybe we may get some decisions going for us with them sponsoring the refs too.

Back