• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Yeah, you can proclaim that line in the most proud and protective manner you can muster. I get all the context.

But if I'm the head of a large corporation being asked to fork over megabucks in a naming rights deal and the default consequence is having my company stamped in the same manner Spurs are branded by SO many fans in Europe and globally - 'The Jews' Club' - Unless my business was matzo balls or kosher treats, I'd be giving that deal a wide berth.

I'm not anti-Semitic in the least. Far from it. And I fully comprehend the embrace that Spurs fans extend to members of an abused segment of society. But business is about business. Not good social causes. This whole 'Yid' thing is doing for Spurs what Scottish sectarianism is doing for that nation's clubs. SFA.

Lots of people are committed to keeping the Yid identity alive. Many take it beyond a defensive response to abusive chanting and use it proactively to antagonize other clubs fans. Particularly at away matches.

But a great many care about Spurs eventually winning something. And they'll need proper resources to do that. Clinging to a religion-based identity is never going to allow that to happen.

It's only posts like this and that twit David Baddiel, that have reinvigorated Yid as having any jewish connection. Until recently it had just become a term like Goon. Many loyal Spurs fans had no idea of its history. But when they found out, there is (or should be) pride. Spurs fans showed unity to stand up to racism as one. Something Baddiel might do in his own club.

It's only posts like this and that twit David Baddiel, that have reinvigorated Yid as having any jewish connection. Until recently it had just become a term like Goon. Many loyal Spurs fans had no idea of its history. But when they found out, there is (or should be) pride. Spurs fans showed unity to stand up to racism as one. Something Baddiel might do in his own club.

I really think we should just move on. New stadium, new start!

It’s a grubby little word, and introducing more new fans to its whys and wherefores is just perpetuating its longevity.

Never felt any connection to it, it doesn’t represent me, or the team I love.

Oh, and all religion is fundamentally stupid and doesn’t exist!...

(Dons tin hat, runs for cover. Awaits award for inflammatory unpopular post of 2018 award!):cool:

It would help, but I'd pick a drinking hole based on more than price otherwise we'd all be in weatherspoons.

i would rather be in the pubs i usually frequent too as i imagine most regular match going Spurs fans would, well those that have a regular drinking spot over there anyway - however with beers being priced similarly to the pubs i can see myself getting in earlier/leaving later than i would have otherwise in an effort to avoid congestion immediately before/after the game when entering the ground - if drinks/food were being priced similarly to Wembley then chances are i would not do so.

As @greatwhitenorf alludes to aligning yourself with bigotry is not a sensible plan.
But I don't think thats what the yid thing is for spurs, if anything it's the opposite,its the collective taking the word from their detractors and in owningit changing it to a positive collect noun.

It's how you/us/we use and perceive the word. To use the old firm bigotry brothers as a very good example,
to Call a Celtic supporter a fenian is considered an insult, even though the name/word it's self has no negative connotation in its dictionary definition. It's almost viewed as a hate crime.
Call a rangers supporter a hun is fair game with no issues.yet that word has a bad reputation its not seen as being regarded as as bad an insult.

It would be good to see it fade away, but better to do it on our terms and let it naturally die away as it loses it power as an insult.

I really think we should just move on. New stadium, new start!

It’s a grubby little word, and introducing more new fans to its whys and wherefores is just perpetuating its longevity.

Never felt any connection to it, it doesn’t represent me, or the team I love.

Oh, and all religion is fundamentally stupid and doesn’t exist!...

(Dons tin hat, runs for cover. Awaits award for inflammatory unpopular post of 2018 award!):cool:

Yiddish is a language, not a religion. Racism has nothing to do with religion. A word is what you make it. "Grubby" Wow. That is your identification of it only. What makes it grubby!!?? For most its Spurs supporters, a thing of tribal strength, nothing to do with a language. Its moved beyond that. Yid is as 'grubby' as Goon. Unless you imbue it with more meaning than it has had for the last 30 odd years.

Wembley will probably continue to get the biggest concerts, but there is a big gap between the O2 and Wembley. NWHL could (should?) easily become the premium event venue in the 50-60k range. Hosting boxing in stadia also seems to becoming more popular again. The LED strip lighting and large screens should make it a far better choice than the Emirates or Olympic Stadium.

Yiddish is a language, not a religion. Racism has nothing to do with religion. A word is what you make it. "Grubby" Wow. That is your identification of it only. What makes it grubby!!?? For most its Spurs supporters, a thing of tribal strength, nothing to do with a language. Its moved beyond that. Yid is as 'grubby' as Goon. Unless you imbue it with more meaning than it has had for the last 30 odd years.

Why did you mention racism? I didn’t and certainly have no racism in me.

Yeah, I don’t like the phonetic sound of the word, especially when being used to describe a group of football supporters who have nothing to do with a language. I’ve never enjoyed being called a yid - sorry, it holds no relation or relevance to me personally.

And yeah, I do think religion is very silly and causes daft arguements. It’s 2018, as a race we should have grown out of all this nonsense by now!

This stadium is being marketed as the dedicated home for the NFL in Britain and, as such, we keep hearing that Levy is trying to engineer a naming rights deal that reflects the value associated with being part of the world's two biggest leagues.

Try selling the constant use of the word Yid to a North American audience. It will never fly, no matter how morally dignified the reason for its use.

You will never, ever hear morally upright Americans chanting 'N' Army to show support for the black community at a NFL or NBA game, where racial issues are boiling over. But we hear Yid Army pouring out of the stands at every Spurs game. It's only rarely being used as a defensive response any more. Most often, it just starts up on its own and acts as an antagonistic provocation to the other side's fans. It makes us look like the little people who support Rangers or Celtic.

Spurs fans need to accept that this is putting a higher hurdle in front of Levy's marketing efforts to get the stadium the naming rights deal he feels this wonderful stadium deserves.

Why did you mention racism? I didn’t and certainly have no racism in me.

Yeah, I don’t like the phonetic sound of the word, especially when being used to describe a group of football supporters who have nothing to do with a language. I’ve never enjoyed being called a yid - sorry, it holds no relation or relevance to me personally.

And yeah, I do think religion is very silly and causes daft arguements. It’s 2018, as a race we should have grown out of all this nonsense by now!

If you dig deep enough the etymology of Yid is anti racism. That’s history not today. Wasn’t saying you were racist.

What would you like Spurs supports to be affectionately and informally known as? For me Yid is a simple name like goon, without association, but if dig deeper it’s something to be proud of as its Spurs fans of old standing up racism. That has to be a good thing, not something to bury or try and wipe away (impossible to anyway).

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

If you dig deep enough the etymology of Yid is anti racism. That’s history not today. Wasn’t saying you were racist.

What would you like Spurs supports to be affectionately and informally known as? For me Yid is a simple name like goon, without association, but if dig deeper it’s something to be proud of as its Spurs fans of old standing up racism. That has to be a good thing, not something to bury or try and wipe away (impossible to anyway).

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Cool. I get your drift, and both bow to and respect your far greater knowledge of the subject! :)

I guess for me, I just have zero knowledge, background or interest in these matters - which kind of demonstrates my point about me having no identification with the word (beyond being slightly confused and disarmed to be on the receiving end of it in a derogatory way).

I’d rather we didn’t use it and just moved on, that’s just my honest opinion. I don’t want my 2 year old lad picking it up, and me having to explain all the years of insults, and counter-insults to him. Just want to concentrate on the team really.

I’m sure when Harry Hotspur in the 1880s and his cricket chums dreamt up the ideas of Tottenham Hotspur, not one of them thought “right then, what language, race, religion, group, creed etc shall we associate ourselves with boys?”

Affectionally and informally? “The Spurs” sounds magnificent to me, and is what I’ve always proudly used. I’m a Spur!

(The Lillywhites was oft used up to and around the 60’s - but sadly that seems to have got rubbed out by all the yid focus). Now that’s historic!

This stadium is being marketed as the dedicated home for the NFL in Britain and, as such, we keep hearing that Levy is trying to engineer a naming rights deal that reflects the value associated with being part of the world's two biggest leagues.

Try selling the constant use of the word Yid to a North American audience. It will never fly, no matter how morally dignified the reason for its use.

You will never, ever hear morally upright Americans chanting 'N' Army to show support for the black community at a NFL or NBA game, where racial issues are boiling over.

Don't want to stir this particular pot anymore (which of course means I will) but you make an interesting point. Didn't Washington Redskins have an issue with their name recently?

You will never, ever hear morally upright Americans chanting 'N' Army to show support for the black community at a NFL or NBA game, where racial issues are boiling over. But we hear Yid Army pouring out of the stands at every Spurs game. It's only rarely being used as a defensive response any more. Most often, it just starts up on its own and acts as an antagonistic provocation to the other side's fans. It makes us look like the little people who support Rangers or Celtic.

Spurs fans need to accept that this is putting a higher hurdle in front of Levy's marketing efforts to get the stadium the naming rights deal he feels this wonderful stadium deserves.

Its only the PC phalanx that have imbued the term with any yiddish meaning. Until Bideal flagged it up, almost no one under 50 knew the history of the term. Yid is the same as Goon. Yidish is not the N word, no one uses the ethnic term anymore - since the 1970s -for almost half a century! As for putting a hurdle in front of Levy thats a load of gonad*s. Only those who give the term a racial meaning are putting up hurdles, for the rest its just a term like Goon, but with a prouder history should you dig deep enough. That history is something Americans particularly - with a number of refugees who fled racism to the US - would also be proud of.

Be very wary of wiping out any culture and history of a club for modern souless branding. You can't create histroy. It is there. It is what makes the club what it is today.

Cool. I get your drift, and both bow to and respect your far greater knowledge of the subject! :)

I guess for me, I just have zero knowledge, background or interest in these matters - which kind of demonstrates my point about me having no identification with the word (beyond being slightly confused and disarmed to be on the receiving end of it in a derogatory way).

I’d rather we didn’t use it and just moved on, that’s just my honest opinion. I don’t want my 2 year old lad picking it up, and me having to explain all the years of insults, and counter-insults to him. Just want to concentrate on the team really.

I’m sure when Harry Hotspur in the 1880s and his cricket chums dreamt up the ideas of Tottenham Hotspur, not one of them thought “right then, what language, race, religion, group, creed etc shall we associate ourselves with boys?”

Affectionally and informally? “The Spurs” sounds magnificent to me, and is what I’ve always proudly used. I’m a Spur!

(The Lillywhites was oft used up to and around the 60’s - but sadly that seems to have got rubbed out by all the yid focus). Now that’s historic!

I remember being at at party aged 16, and talking with a Gooner. When I told him I was a Spurs fan he called me a yid. I took it the wrong way and he was mortified. It stayed with me, as it was me that didn't understand. He was using it simply like Goon, and just like we'd call someone a Gooner there's a fun, almost affectionate banter to it. I do understand your point of view, it was a loaded term. But my anecdote is from many decades ago, when Yid was closer to a racist term. It simply isn't today. Wouldn't it be a shame if people trying to be politically correct changed that? Just let it be. You can't change histroy, but you can let it lie.

Last edited:
DjxGfMIXgAEW-pf.jpg

DjxGfMEXoAAxxhW.jpg

DjxGfL9WwAArnah.jpg

DjxGfMKX4AE4vnK.jpg

DjxGOd2X0AA3EIK.jpg

DjxGOdzXsAEAHbG.jpg

Djxa9PsX0AEoTn_.jpg

Djxa9P6X0AENq_Q.jpg

Djxa9PxXoAAorSb.jpg

Back