• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project

I remember when arsenal redeveloped the library years ago and had the poster of fans behind one goal, swear they made as much noise as most of their fans so no real difference in sound.

I remember that, ****ty painting wasn't it? Also were there not speakers in it pumping out canned fan noise?

that was Chelsea/Stamford Bridge wasn't it? the painted fans

arsenal_1420070c.jpg

I remember that, ****ty painting wasn't it? Also were there not speakers in it pumping out canned fan noise?

Yep. Canned noise.

And they had to repaint it after it was noticed that there were no ethnic minorities portrayed in the original. Racists.

They used to do that at the old Wembley. They taped the crowd at noisy games and played it back through the speakers at quiet ones. I worked for a company that designed the PA system there when I first left school and did the sound at a couple of games there.

Yep. Canned noise.

And they had to repaint it after it was noticed that there were no ethnic minorities portrayed in the original. Racists.

That I remember clearly, plus the 'piped' noise, tossers…was never louder than when we went there en masse for a few seasons (I'm sure Southcote remembers the days!)...

Ha I remember that. I was there for the game in 93 I think it was before they were playing Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup. They played mostly kids and we had a young side out due to severe Injuries. We won 3-1 which was my only experience of us winning at the Scum ground until 2 years back. Could not get a ticket in the Spurs bit as ticketing was reduced to 1500 due to that stand being redeveloped. So went in the South Bank terracing with the scum fans, celbrated when we score and got me head punched in and thrown out by the Stewards. Missed our second goal and sneaked back in their main stand to sit with the Old gits and saw the last goal, celbrated but this time they were too old as fans to do anything about it.

I remember back in the 80's when we rebuilt the West Stand. You could sit in the East Stand Upper and watch the traffic in the High Road and at night games the sun shone in your eyes till it set.

I used to have an uncle who got paid by arsenal to sit in the north bank with some of his friends and play drums(more organised than the bloke in the upper east at WHL)

Whilst I smirked at the thought of arsenal having to pay people to generate support I later worked out I had an uncle who technically had played for arsenal.

So I don't call him my uncle anymore.

I used to have an uncle who got paid by arsenal to sit in the north bank with some of his friends and play drums(more organised than the bloke in the upper east at WHL)

Whilst I smirked at the thought of arsenal having to pay people to generate support I later worked out I had an uncle who technically had played for arsenal.

So I don't call him my uncle anymore.

Yeah we've all got "funny" uncles

Hopefully the new stadium - of whatever capacity - will have an enclosure for the 5,999 scummites that we'll find it necessary to allow. Purely for public safety reasons, you understand.

Daily Mail snippet today saying that Eric Pickles will announce 'shortly' (whatever that means) his decision on whether the CPO for Archway Sheet Metal Works can go ahead. Article states in effect that Pickles has the power to scupper the whole redevelopment project.

Posted on Skyscrapercity.com said to be from 'a FB group' don't know if it's the Mail article, looked on their site and couldn't find anything.

A decision is expected to be made soon by Eric Pickles, the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, on the compulsory purchase order made by Haringey Council for a family-run business on the site of the proposed development. The inability of the parties concerned to reach agreement on the issue has been holding up any movement on the building work for the new stadium.

It had been expected that Tottenham would have been putting the construction work for the stadium out to tender once the Sainsbury’s supermarket had been completed. The supermarket was the first part of the Northumberland Development Project (NDP) which has been on-going since 2007 and once completed would be followed by the construction of the new ground. Tottenham Hotspur had originally planned to move into the new stadium, whilst it is partially built, for the beginning of the 2012–13 season.

With no news coming from Tottenham on the progress of the projector any indication of work starting on the building of the stadium, supporters had started to question whether Spurs would ever move into a new ground.

If a decision is made on this issue, it would be another step towards the completion of the NDP.

I don’t know whether there can be any further appeals after the Department have made their determination but if this hurdle is crossed then it would allow the club to put the building work out to tender once the recently appointed architects have finalised the interior design of the stadium.

If this decision goes in favour of the stadium development it would be an encouraging sign that a new stadium was getting ever closer.

Last edited:

I think I read (here or Skyscrapercity) that the Pickles decision is due in April.

I find it inconceivable that he won't approve this one CPO. With all the planning work on the whole regeneration of Tottenham involving Haringey and the Mayor's office, it would very strange for central government to put such a big spanner in the works. Boris should be able to sooth ony doubts.

I think I read (here or Skyscrapercity) that the Pickles decision is due in April.

I find it inconceivable that he won't approve this one CPO. With all the planning work on the whole regeneration of Tottenham involving Haringey and the Mayor's office, it would very strange for central government to put such a big spanner in the works. Boris should be able to sooth ony doubts.

I wouldn't be certain.

A few years back Emirates Marketing Project Council had a CPO for the London Road fire station rejected by Pickles because

The Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government rejected the council's bid to acquire the site via a compulsory purchase order (CPO), stating that it had failed to make a compelling case that it was in the public interest.

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/252459-london-road-fire-station-cpo-rejected.html

Something which was argued by The Guardian recently.

The area is crying out for regeneration but sometimes local or, in this case, central Government have to make sure that the Council aren't being taken for a ride, especially when the CPO has been requested on behalf of the private sector.

Even though the decision is said to be due shortly the wait is going to feel like eternity. If the CPO is rejected then I haven't a clue as to what the club would do as it could set them back a few years.

Governments have to work for "the greater good". Whilst I would be gutted if I had a CPO forced on me and wouldn't take it lying down the fact is, Tottenham as a society gain much more by this stadium being built than the business remaining.

If this stadium cannot go ahead the club need to look at options, which almost certainly are outside Tottenham. Which will probably take years.

However, unlike our managers I am sure Levy has a plan B/C/D. There was not that long in between Stratford being dropped as an option, and work formally being started on NP.

Pickles is a politician, and a Tory one at that. Call me a cynic if you like but I doubt he really gives a monkeys for the good of the community, it will come down to which decision he believes will yield him and his party most votes. As the architect of the Localism Act he may see an opportunity to champion the small businessman deeply rooted in the local community, but this would be at the risk of being seen to hold back a major redevelopment in one of the countries most deprived areas where fresh riots ahead of the 2016 election could adversely affect his party's chances.

Even if I were a Gooner, in his shoes I know which one I'd go for.

Pickles is a politician, and a Tory one at that. Call me a cynic if you like but I doubt he really gives a monkeys for the good of the community, it will come down to which decision he believes will yield him and his party most votes. As the architect of the Localism Act he may see an opportunity to champion the small businessman deeply rooted in the local community, but this would be at the risk of being seen to hold back a major redevelopment in one of the countries most deprived areas where fresh riots ahead of the 2016 election could adversely affect his party's chances.

Even if I were a Gooner, in his shoes I know which one I'd go for.

I think Eric Pickles is a bigger man than that !.

Back