• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Only in the UK.... I cannot imagine that any other country would insist on such a detailed plan... what kind of diesel shall be used etc etc etc, the specification of everything is detailed to the nth degree.

I suppose one unknown is that Eric Pickles, who got us through the Archway thing, is no longer SoS for DCLG.

It's now someone called Greg Clark, who apparently is a Boro fan

Only in the UK.... I cannot imagine that any other country would insist on such a detailed plan... what kind of diesel shall be used etc etc etc, the specification of everything is detailed to the nth degree.

Other countries write that kind of crap, but then completely ignore it.

It's the crux of our issues with the EU - we actually make a stab at implementing their gonad*s and become aggrieved, while other countries just shrug it off at the start

I built a new house to replace an old bungalow a few years back and had to spend £6000 on building a bat roost in the garden whilst the work was on-going. I had the grand total of zero occupants... that was a planning permission condition that was a ridiculous additional (and unnecessary) cost that I couldn't avoid!

I don't know - IMO it and Goodison are about the last of the 'proper' grounds. Rectangle - 4 double tier stands with infills. An antidote to the soulless wavy bowls. A lot of away fans are fond of it too for that reason.
It's only "proper" because you call it proper, and new stadiums are only "soulless" because you imagine and call them soulless. It's all in your mind.
The new stadium will become whatever the people that go there want it to be. If you go there with the attitude that it's soulless and boring, that's exactly what it will be. But if you go there with an attitude that it's magnificent, it will be exactly that! Magnificent!

Last edited:
It's only "proper" because you call it proper, and new stadiums are only "soulless" because you imagine and call them soulless. It's all in your mind.
The new stadium will become whatever the people that go there want it to be. If you go there with the attitude that it's soulless and boring, that's exactly what it will be. But if you go there with an attitude that it's magnificent, it will be exactly that! Magnificent!

Look at what happened when Derby moved from the Baseball to Pride Park or Sunderland from Roker to Light. Same fans but a massive drop in quality of the atmospheres because their new stadium designs were crap.

I'm not saying our new one will be, but nearly all the 00s stadiums have been crap. The Millennium in Cardiff however is great. If New WHL gets close to that in terms of design, we'll be fine.

I think it almost inevitable that newer bigger stadia will have a worse atmosphere, For starters, the larger size tends to be more spread out, especially in bowls. The new/renovated stadia have to adhere to the new codes for leg space etc, so will again be less tightly packed. And finally the atmosphere will be compared to the old days when there was standing and a much denser fan profile.

Worth noting that Crossrail 2 came a stage closer yesterday: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35773758, which will link Northumberland Park station directly to Victoria and St Pancras.

Scheduled to open in 2033. Josh Onomah will be a veteran 35yo stalwart by then

Crossrail-2-Route-Autumn-2015.jpg

Hi Guys, I kind of understand the nostalgia that all you regular visitors to WHL have with the current stadium.
As an overseas fan, I am not really That concerned.
I see the new project as:
- Giving us one of the best stadiums in Europe
- Providing the club with the necessary revenue to compete with the best clubs i.e transfer fees & wages
- Uplifting the dump that is Tottenham at the moment.

No offense meant to you guys, but we cannot just stay in the current stadium if we want to progress.

COYS

Hi Guys, I kind of understand the nostalgia that all you regular visitors to WHL have with the current stadium.
As an overseas fan, I am not really That concerned.
I see the new project as:
- Giving us one of the best stadiums in Europe
- Providing the club with the necessary revenue to compete with the best clubs i.e transfer fees & wages
- Uplifting the dump that is Tottenham at the moment.

No offense meant to you guys, but we cannot just stay in the current stadium if we want to progress.

COYS

Totally agree with you, but when you been going for nearly 60 years you get very comfortable (wrong word for seating) with an old friend who you've shared great joy and moments of depression with you start to get very sentimental. I'll never forget the magic of first going with my dad or the disappointment my son felt when we lost the first game I took him to. It will be and end of an era.

Totally agree with you, but when you been going for nearly 60 years you get very comfortable (wrong word for seating) with an old friend who you've shared great joy and moments of depression with you start to get very sentimental. I'll never forget the magic of first going with my dad or the disappointment my son felt when we lost the first game I took him to. It will be and end of an era.

Pretty much how I feel about it as well, I have spent more time at the Lane then in any of the places I have lived over the years and it will always be special for me. As you say its a end of a era but with a new stadium a new one begins.

I respectfully struggle to understand that - the new stadium is virtually in the same place as the current one, with the main difference being four new stands infinitely better than the current ones, with one stand being a true marvel - personally I think with that stand along with all the colour and flags we will bring (ala dortmunds ground) the atmosphere will be significantly better than it currently is at WHL.

That's without even going into the remarkable external design and the facilities this mega stadium will have.

Could understand what you mean if this was arsenals Emirates move or west hams Olympic move (moving away from their 'home' and into bland boring looking stadiums) but in our instance I cannot understand people who will miss WHL in its current form - it is literally being re-born on a truly incredible scale.

Personally it cannot come soon enough, externally the current WHL is poor to say the least and internally whilst it has great character, I cannot stand those chelsea coloured seats.

And of course this new stadium instantly transforms us to Super Club status. I need TP for my bunghole ASAP!!!

I respectfully struggle to understand that - the new stadium is virtually in the same place as the current one, with the main difference being four new stands infinitely better than the current ones, with one stand being a true marvel - personally I think with that stand along with all the colour and flags we will bring (ala dortmunds ground) the atmosphere will be significantly better than it currently is at WHL.

That's without even going into the remarkable external design and the facilities this mega stadium will have.

Could understand what you mean if this was arsenals Emirates move or west hams Olympic move (moving away from their 'home' and into bland boring looking stadiums) but in our instance I cannot understand people who will miss WHL in its current form - it is literally being re-born on a truly incredible scale.

Personally it cannot come soon enough, externally the current WHL is poor to say the least and internally whilst it has great character, I cannot stand those chelsea coloured seats.

And of course this new stadium instantly transforms us to Super Club status. I need TP for my bunghole ASAP!!!
It's like trading in your old Fiesta for a new Mondeo. You miss the old car and look back fondly... for about a week, then it is all forgotten and you enjoy the new car.

(PS I don't like Fords, so don't start)

Doubt too many of us oldies fail to recognise the vital importance of upgrading our ground, far from it. But it's only natural we're going to be a little nostalgic for the venerable old stadium. It's always been among the best in the country for atmosphere and inevitably conjures up many wonderful memories (and a few best glossed over). Clearly though the present 36k capacity is totally inadequate for a club of our size and ambitions.

I will admit to feeling less excited than some about the external design of the new stadium though. Hopefully once it's built I'll see it in a different light, meantime I'll reserve judgement.

Well it hasn't exactly been that long that WHL has been in its current form - when was that revamp finished? 1996? Perhaps even later.

Remember as recent as the early 90s we had some different stands and before that there was the dearly loved old shelf side stand. The re-birth and change of these stands at WHL have happened time and time again.

What's happening now is just the latest in a long line of changes to the stands that surround the WHL pitch.

Wow, going for 60 years - well done sir.
I understand your sentiments, and have NO issue with that.
As I said I am an overseas supporter, and therefore Don't have those sentiments.
Hope you enjoy the new stadium.
COYS

Pretty much how I feel about it as well, I have spent more time at the Lane then in any of the places I have lived over the years and it will always be special for me. As you say its a end of a era but with a new stadium a new one begins.
Hi, can understand your point of view.
See my response to K.D x4 above

When you next go to White Hart Lane, take some pictures or record a few video clips. Do it again next time you go. Do it every time you go.

Try to capture all the mundane, everyday aspects, not just stadium views. Lineups, people you regularly see, whether passing about the stadium or chatting with as you wait in line for food or drink, stuff that happens as you make your way to or from the game - pubs you visit, people you banter with as you line up for concessions. Skip the toilets, eh?

Photograph details. Seat numbers. The view down an empty row of seats where you normally sit. The texture of a wall. A view looking down an interior hallway. The view from the interior of a vomitory as you are about to pass through into the stands. And, of course, moments that occur during a match - turn away from the action and shoot the faces behind you. Focus on upraised hands celebrating a goal. Scarves held up or twirling.

Gather up as many of the little threads that form the fabric of a day watching Spurs in White Hart Lane. If you didn't quite capture what you hoped to on the first try, hopefully you have other opportunities to improve or refine what you capture or record. If you chip away at it, little by little, you'll have a wonderful document to refer back to.

You'll love yourself forever for doing this.

Because, no matter how wonderful the new stadium is, it won't be the same. In so many ways, it can't ever be the same. It will take years before you get back to the same point you're at now in terms of feeling familiar and at home. So start to preserve your memories and experiences now. I've been professionally involved in the transfer of major sports clubs from their beloved, historic homes to wonderful, new facilities.

I have friends or colleagues who can quickly get teary-eyed looking at images of the old hockey arenas they once visited - the Montreal Forum, Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens, Pittsburgh's Igloo, the Boston Garden. Plus Detroit's incredibly intimate baseball ground, Tiger Stadium. They were all cosy, cramped relics, each with their own unique sightlines, distinctive shapes, nooks and crannies - full of atmosphere - yet they were constantly griped about for what they lacked. Eventually, those gripes spurred the building of new arenas.

The new homes are amazing places and serve each club well, but the old ones are now missed terribly. You still have time. Use it well.

Last edited:
Back