• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Top 50 players in Europe (according to Bloomberg)

inkpenspur

Allan Nielsen
The inaugural analytic rankings of Bloomberg Sports for European soccer has Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, and Franck Ribery on top.
Today Bloomberg used their tools to create their first analytical ranking of European football players. Sports Power Football 50 is aimed at providing the most advanced data-driven ranking of individual performances throughout Europe’s top leagues.

The rankings provide an objective analysis that relates players to their respective positions and takes into account the context of player performance relative to others at this position.

"We continue to look at new ways to use analytics that will be interesting to fans, and are pleased today to unveil what we believe will be a game-changer in the way professional football is looked at in the future with the ‘Power Football 50,’” said Bill Squadron, President of Bloomberg Sports. "Analytics is becoming more and more prevalent in both the minds of the fans and in the decision making power of the clubs, and we are confident this index will help both stir healthy debate and be a great measuring stick for player evaluation going forward."

Lionel Messi of FC Barcelona topped the list with a score of 91.25, edging out Cristiano Ronaldo of Real Madrid (91.16). Franck Ribery of Champions League winner Bayern Munich came in third with a rating of (89.27). Ribery was one of five Bayern players to make the top 50 list, along with Bastian Schweinsteiger (14th), Thomas Muller (19th), Toni Kroos (22nd), Dante (31st) and Philipp Lahm (38th). Juventus had four players on the list (led by Andrea Pirlo, 5th at 88.62), while Champions League runner-up Borussia Dortmund (led by Marco Reus, 4rd overall at 89.10), Barcelona (led by Messi), Manchester United (led by Robin van Persie 6th at 88.14) and Napoli (led by Marek Hamsik 8th at 87.01) also placed three players on the list.
http://www.bsports.com/football-power-50

So, after that blurb, we have Mr G Bale at 9 and Mr Vertonghen at 18.... discuss

Benteke higher than Falcao?

tumblr_mbcl2105PP1rvxie0.gif

Only 1 Chelsea player (Mata in 24th), 2 goons with Carzola (10) and Arteta (45) and 1 Emirates Marketing Project Yaya Toure (42)

Omissions are perhaps more interesting.... no Tevez, no Fat Frank, no Llloris.....

I don't know if it's league only or what but Falcao had 28 with 8 from the spot. Benteke 19 with 3 from the spot. Benteke also plays in a far weaker team and I think helps create for his team mates far more than Falcao.

I don't know if it's league only or what but Falcao had 28 with 8 from the spot. Benteke 19 with 3 from the spot. Benteke also plays in a far weaker team and I think helps create for his team mates far more than Falcao.

Okay. Benteke is on par with Falcao.

I think goals scored from penalties should start being added in brackets alongside a player's goal tally. Yes you still have to put the ball in the back of the net but I find it distorts the numbers which influences people's minds too much. 29% of Falcao's goals were penalties, that's a pretty big chunk.

Good to see Pirlo up there. I thought it was farcical he wasn't in the top 3 for the Balloon D'or. He was the best player in an unbeaten Juventus team for the 2012 season, and was outstanding in the Euros

Ribery is overrated. No way should be be so high on that list, not even Bayern's best player, Muller is.

Hamsik above Cavani? :ross:

Falcao 30 and Lewandowski 37 :eek:

Good to see Di Natale on the list, he's been one of the top strikers in Europe in the past 5 seasons.

There will always be disagreements about a list like this, regardless of who makes it someone else will think that there's something completely wrong.

Ribery won at least one player of the season award in the Bundesliga this season, I don't think it's that far fetched to have him high up.

Yeah, the lists will never be conclusive. What it should be is that Messi is the best player in the world and everyone else isn't.

But even that will get disagreements.

Back