• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Too young to play?

Crawley

Board Legend
With the recent entry into golfs Masters of the Chinese wonderkid aged just 14, closely followed by a 12 year old playing in this weeks European Tour event, are sports in danger of becoming a bit of a circus, while affecting these childrens natural growing up period, or is it a case of good enough, old enough?

Personally, to play on a pro tour, I believe there should be a limit in all sports. Tennis has had a few in the past too, hasn't it?

Sport is the ultimate meritocracy. If you are good enough, you're old enough.

This will only be an issue in solo sports like golf and tennis. Any sport with physical interaction between players like football, they would be too young to handle it at the top level. In sports like Rugby, often 18 year olds can't handle top level physicality.

I don't see why they shouldn't play at the top level. They will be playing the sport regardless of whether they are attending these tournaments, so I don't buy any argument about protecting the kid physically.

My only issue would be if these young kids start getting byes in to tournaments as a stunt, like the female golfer Li Na did. She often got wild card entries to tournaments, taking away a place from more deserving players. As long as they qualify on merit, I have no problem.

Back