• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

This current teams vs Harry's 2011/2012

So, you're saying that you haven't ever been wrong in a situation like this in the past?

How about players like Cleverly that went on to be a very useful squad player for United? He wasn't exactly shining at 18...

Not a question of me being wrong, we have had a lot of so called promising English youngsters on our books " over the years, not one attacking player has ultimately proved good enough.

IMO he does not look good enough, just does not have the touch or composure on the ball as a top player. Strange and unusual player in someways, because he can beat a man and not through pace, but that is it for his game.

Sum of his parts do not add up to enough. Like Hudd , can do one thing quite well [ a good square pass in stylish way ], but not much else.

You can't really compare this team to Harry's 2011-12 side, its too early and at the moment there IS no comparison. The 11-12 team on paper wipes the floor with the current set of players, no matter how you might like to dress it up.

That team (11-12) had 3 players that either are currently regulars for Real Madrid, the biggest club in the world, or players that had come from being regulars there (like Ozil has to the ****), i.e. it had 3 genuinely world-class players.

The current team don't have any. We have bought plenty of young players with the potential to reach that level, sure and in Soldado we have someone who is probably just below that level, but nobody who currently holds that status. Rest assured as well that as soon as they reach that level, they'll be off to a Real Madrid, Man U, Barcelona ASAP until we can increase our wage structure to rival the elite clubs.

It's silly to pretend otherwise, but that elite trio of Modric, VDV & Bale really are unmatched in Spurs teams in the modern era. I also think the lack of depth in Harry's 11-12 squad is a bit of a myth. Harry created the lack of depth partly by under utilising perfectly good squad players like Kranjcar, Pienaar, Corluka, Dawson, Thudd, Livermore etc. The strongest XI didn't need to play the amount of games they were made to play and as a result of their lack of opportunities, many quality players like Kranjcar and Pienaar ended up leaving, meaning that AVB was faced with a massive overhaul of the entire squad in addition to replacing Modric and VDV who both wanted to leave (either to better themselves or to move for family reasons).

Players like Sigurdsson, Holtby and Dempsey were purchased to replace the squad players that left.

So it may look like we have more depth than we do now, but I don't really think we have apart from perhaps in central midfield and I suppose upfront with Soldado arriving.

Time will tell whether these new players reach the heights of that team and can adequately replace the stunning quality of the likes of Bale, Modric, VDV and King. Early signs have been promising (Eriksen debut, Lamela's couple of cameos, Paulino's first few games etc) but its a long way from saying that this team can hold themselves up to be the equal of the 11-12 vintage in terms of quality of personnel available.

Back