• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Things we have been getting away with...

In terms of playing the high line without quick centre-backs, we have been getting away with that because we have been adept hitherto at scrambling possession back quickly high up the park on the (frequent) occasions we have squandered it cheaply with inaccurate passing. That's the reason we have been able to keep creating all these chances to shoot as well, albeit that we have scarcely converted any of them, but it hardly happened at all yesterday; West Ham seemed to be able to keep us spread out in the middle of the park, nullifying our ability to regain possession quickly in their half, and hence choking off the bulk of our attacking "threat" as well.

Agreed.

Remember Barcelona plays just about the most uncompromising high pressing/back line game around. They've done so with great success with Pique and Puyol at the back, two centre backs who aren't exactly known for being super quick.

Our pressing let us down against West Ham, for me that's a bit worrying as I thought our pressing stumbled a bit last season too after a good start. I hope it was just a one off against West Ham though and that we'll be back to doing this better in the upcoming games. Not succeeding in the pressing is a lot worse for a high line than slow defenders.

I'm really not trying to pile on in the Defoe/Soldado debate, but does anyone else think that Soldado is probably better suited to the high pressing than Defoe? Defoe isn't lazy, not what I'm saying, but to me he seems to lack a bit of smartness in his pressing that Soldado has. Could just be my perception though, would like to hear what the rest of you think about this...

I tell you what, I am absolutely petrified that AVB doesn't in fact rate Sandro. He was known for shutting out certain players at Chelsea, and he's said he's learned from his mistakes there, but it doesn't look good for our best central midfielder at the moment. If he stays on the bench till January then I can see him wanting out, and I can see AVB letting him. What a disaster that would be for the club.

I share your concern, especially after we signed Capoue. AVB seems to like players that can do a bit of everything and he may feel that Sandro is too limited. With it being a World Cup year not playing puts Sandro in a very difficult position come January if he isn't playing. Maybe a loan deal would be suitable.

This said I don't think AVB truly wants to play with a number 10. The 3-0 defeat by the Spammers may well give him the ammo he needs to go with a midfield of Sandro, Paulinho and Dembele.

I share your concern, especially after we signed Capoue. AVB seems to like players that can do a bit of everything and he may feel that Sandro is too limited. With it being a World Cup year not playing puts Sandro in a very difficult position come January if he isn't playing. Maybe a loan deal would be suitable.

This said I don't think AVB truly wants to play with a number 10. The 3-0 defeat by the Spammers may well give him the ammo he needs to go with a midfield of Sandro, Paulinho and Dembele.

We're gonna create **** all with that line up.

Back