• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer window thread.

Now we're talking, a decent forward who isn't completely unattainable and isn't Benteke. I'm all in

This is as good as we can hope for I think. Though I must say that I am struggling to come to terms with the fact that we seem to be becoming a West Ham type club that loans in multiple players!
Also, Is this the kind of player we want/need now?
"Alcácer, could well be on his way out after a frustrating first half of the season, beset by fitness problems and in a situation now where trust has been gently eroded on both sides of the relationship – he has been frustrated not to play more, and the staff have not been satisfied enough with his efforts in training."

£100m in one summer is not the whole truth though is it, how much over the last five windows for instance?
I think what spur me up is saying is that the first window that the stadium was finished we spent 100m, this might be the sort of yearly investment we can expect to see from now? The previous 5 years were all whilst building a stadium with costs spiraling for various reasons, so maybe it’s understandable we looked to break even on player trading?

"Alcácer, could well be on his way out after a frustrating first half of the season, beset by fitness problems and in a situation now where trust has been gently eroded on both sides of the relationship – he has been frustrated not to play more, and the staff have not been satisfied enough with his efforts in training."

He's made for us ATM :(

We spent over £100m in the summer. For our turnover and debt levels that was the splurge

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
I thought the net spend was £71 million last summer down to £61 million for the year when factoring in the Dembele sale in January with nobody coming in to replace him.

Maybe that £60 million net spend a year is the level of spending that we can now expect from Spurs going forward? Of course this is much better than the £5 million a year net spend for the four prior years, but it isn't going to take us anywhere near challenging for the big trophies any time soon (especially as over half of that £60 million for next year will be taken up by making Lo Celso permanent).

If we're shopping in the bargain basement loans bin then yes, that is as good as we'll get. These players are in the loans bin because their clubs don't want them any more but can't really get much of a transfer fee for them because they've been a bit sh!t and are on high wages. Ergo they all have something wrong with them. Beggars can't be choosers and it looks like we're currently a beggar (wanting a temporary loan) as opposed to a chooser (able to spend money on an (e.g.) Piatek).

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with that, my issue lies with dropping spend but rising expectations.
They do not go together.
Spending £150m or whatever over five windows and still expecting CL every year is bonkers.

We are probably a Europa League team now not a CL one! That is fine as long we have ‘proper’ plan to to return to CL.

We are probably a Europa League team now not a CL one! That is fine as long we have ‘proper’ plan to to return to CL.
Who is a CL one other than pool and city though? Conveniently their the teams spending all the money too

reality is (and it’s good for the league) that a changing of the CL clubs is a good thing

I think what spur me up is saying is that the first window that the stadium was finished we spent 100m, this might be the sort of yearly investment we can expect to see from now? The previous 5 years were all whilst building a stadium with costs spiraling for various reasons, so maybe it’s understandable we looked to break even on player trading?
The one slight worry is last summer was pre re-financing and Levy has said that now, and as part of the re-finance, it included commitments to certain spend levels. So did he have a splurge before the deal?

Of course the more our income increases so does the value of percentage allocated for players costs (transfers and wages)

I thought the net spend was £71 million last summer down to £61 million for the year when factoring in the Dembele sale in January with nobody coming in to replace him.

Maybe that £60 million net spend a year is the level of spending that we can now expect from Spurs going forward? Of course this is much better than the £5 million a year net spend for the four prior years, but it isn't going to take us anywhere near challenging for the big trophies any time soon (especially as over half of that £60 million for next year will be taken up by making Lo Celso permanent).
The problem is unless we cash in on Dele,Son or Kane we have very little assets to punt on and help with that net spend.

I don't have a problem with that, my issue lies with dropping spend but rising expectations.
They do not go together.
Spending £150m or whatever over five windows and still expecting CL every year is bonkers.
Of course the squad needed some churn (Poch said that), the money was supposedley coming from the players we would churn. It never happened.

Expecting CL every year with little spend is hardly bonkers considering thats what we were achieving every season.

Just as when Wenger left and Fergie left it can be hard becoming what you were again.........probably just because some managers are simply better than others.

Of course the squad needed some churn (Poch said that), the money was supposedley coming from the players we would churn. It never happened.

Expecting CL every year with little spend is hardly bonkers considering thats what we were achieving every season.

Just as when Wenger left and Fergie left it can be hard becoming what you were again.........probably just because some managers are simply better than others.

As I keep saying you need to tailor your expectations of what you put into the to team to what you get out of it.
We haven't done that.
I have no issues with us not spending money we either don't have or have apportioned to the stadium, but to not think that will impact on performances is bonkers. We got away with it last season, this season it has come home to roost.
Man utd and arsenal have spent money, just not very wisely.

Without wanting to butt in, in my view we've gradually weakened the squad over the last 3-4 years and stretched it a little bit thinner year by year...however at some point that stops being feasible and things break. Each step doesnt necessarily break the squad it itself, but its the cumulative effect which has the impact. If you look at the following:

- Walker leaves, replaced by Aurier. Downgrade
- Trippier leaves, not replaced
- Gazza comes in as our 3rd choice keeper despite not being PL standard
- Vorm leaves and isnt replaced, thereby creating a problem with bringing Gazzaiga in
- we have two aging CBs, and cover them with two youngsters (Foyth and Sanchez) - now we're at the point when the oldies are falling over, we dont have experience in reserve
- Llorente leaves and isnt replaced
- Dembele left, and we left it 6 months before signing Ndombele
- Wanyama wasnt up to speed last year, but we didnt replace him in teh summer and we still have him in the squad as a somewhat non-playing member

...and there's probably more. Its not a surprise we need some investment soon!

Back