• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Striker Situation Revisited

NaijaSpurs

Rafael Van Der Vaart
With Kane going on a season's loan where does that leave us? Defoe and Adebayor? Maybe Dempsey to be played as a striker or we are royally fudged?

If Togo make the ANC in Jan we will have just Defoe. That leaves me confused

Last edited:
Yet in Jan 2011 we were allegedly making £35m+ bids for Europe's top strikers and now we are left with just Defoe and Ade WTF?

I posted this in the tactics thread.

This is purely speculation on my part.

AVB is supposedly very meticulous in his preparations.

In the last 2-4 weeks, he and his coaching team would have thoroughly assessed the situation regarding which players would fit into his preferred system and made recommendations to Levy about areas that would need strengthening and possible players that would come in and do the job. I reckon Moutinho was a critical cog in that.

He would have also worked out various permutations and alternatives should some of his transfer targets not been met. He may have been impressed with Bale's skill, pace, power and heading abilities and Gareth has proven he knows where the goal is. Depending on the opposition, injuries or trying alternative tactics, Bale might be the one to replace Ade in the middle with Dempsey coming in on the left side in the front three.

In the last 2-4 weeks, he and his coaching team would have thoroughly assessed the situation regarding which players would fit into his preferred system and made recommendations to Levy about areas that would need strengthening and possible players that would come in and do the job. I reckon Moutinho was a critical cog in that.

He would have also worked out various permutations and alternatives should some of his transfer targets not been met. He may have been impressed with Bale's skill, pace, power and heading abilities and Gareth has proven he knows where the goal is. Depending on the opposition, injuries or trying alternative tactics, Bale might be the one to replace Ade in the middle with Dempsey coming in on the left side in the front three.
i like this thinking spasm. I've been saying Bale at CF for over a year. Let him muck it up with the CB. Dempsey can do the same just not at the same speed as Bale. Affelay would have been a great signing too.

Did you not see the game Bale played as a striker in america. He pulled out of every 50/50 header. He is not gonna be roughing it on this own up top. He might have the potential attributes physically but mentally he's a winger.

Did you not see the game Bale played as a striker in america. He pulled out of every 50/50 header. He is not gonna be roughing it on this own up top. He might have the potential attributes physically but mentally he's a winger.

i did not see the game. i would not judge on one game either.

i like this thinking spasm. I've been saying Bale at CF for over a year. Let him muck it up with the CB. Dempsey can do the same just not at the same speed as Bale. Affelay would have been a great signing too.

good call Oranje. he might not work if he has to play with his back to goal, hold up play and link like Ade does. but bursting through and meeting balls from the flanks in a front three might just work. as i said, this is merely opinion on my part in the event Ade is unavailable.

I can see us badly struggling for goals atleast until January. We only have Adebayor and Defoe as strikers and both are clumsy in front of goals. We have also sold VDV which means losing atleast 10 goals. Adebayor could have scored 18 goals last season but he had something to prove as he was on loan. History proves that players tend to get complacent after making loan deals permanent. Remember Mido ? I think we need to look for goals from midfielders like Bale and Sig.

January. Transfer window.

Thank you.

Togo haven't qualified yet either.

We have two strikers and two player for the "just behind the striker" role at least, in addition Dempsey can play as a striker and Dembele can play just behind the striker. That's 4 players for two positions with some options to move things around if we get injuries etc.

Unlike last season none of those 4 players are particularly injury prone.

I can see us badly struggling for goals atleast until January. We only have Adebayor and Defoe as strikers and both are clumsy in front of goals. We have also sold VDV which means losing atleast 10 goals. Adebayor could have scored 18 goals last season but he had something to prove as he was on loan. History proves that players tend to get complacent after making loan deals permanent. Remember Mido ? I think we need to look for goals from midfielders like Bale and Sig.

Why is Sig "goals from midfield" while VdV is lost so we lose at least 10 goals? Sig replaces VdV does he not?

Why is Sig "goals from midfield" while VdV is lost so we lose at least 10 goals? Sig replaces VdV does he not?

Hope so. But seeing as AVB started VDV ahead of Sig against WBA makes it confusing. Just hope AVB will find the right combination.

I think the Spurs team has a huge duty on their hands now. Spurs fans have always lift the team when they are down, most of the time anyway. It is now time for the team to lift the fans after the hugely disappointing transfer window. Only a convincing performance and a win will convince us as fans.

It's clear for me Dempsey was signed as forward cover who can play across all 3 positions in a front 3. Dempsey can play upfront on his own as a withdrawn striker 'in the hole' and as a wide forward.

Defoe will probably be an impact player if we want to switch systems or if we're chasing a game.

Ade obviously is the first choice to spearhead the attack.

Dembele started off as a forward but has gradually moved deeper as his career progressed. He'd be another that could potentially cover across the forward line.

Incidentally Dempsey has always struck me as a great pro and a great character to have at a club. He'll be invaluable with VDV leaving in that respect as we lost a big character in the dressing room.

Back