• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Society of Black Lawyers...

Are telling us that they'll get the police involved if we don't stop using the word yid on the terraces. As a Jewish fan, I want to write to them to tell them to fudge off and do a bit of research before getting involved, but their website is down. Good to see the club putting out a statement echoing my own thoughts:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...emitic-abuse-by-Society-of-Black-Lawyers.html

I hate to bring up another "use of the word yid" thread, but this really irritated me when I read about it earlier, especially coming from a group that by definition highlights racial differences.

As a Jew, I am actually offended how others can define what I should find racist. Nothing disgusts me more than when other clubs chant 'yids' but nothing makes me happier than when my fellow supporters chant it in unison with me, to defend my people to deflect anti-Semitic abuse.

Until a Jewish Spurs fan speaks out against this then nobody else has the right to comment. Until that day I'll proudly label myself an absolute proud YIDDO!!!!

I'm not a Jew and this is just my opinion, but I can't understand these accusations at all.

How is it anti-Semitic for a group of fans of a club that both traditionally and currently contains many Jewish fans to chant "Yid" or "Yiddo" in adoration towards players that primarily are not Jews.

It just doesn't make any kind of logical sense to me, I just don't get it.

I know I have submitted previous comment which has been out of order and for which I apologise, but this one is important. I have contacted the Law Society with a complaint regarding the comment by this 'Society', please contact them en-

mass otherwise they will not realise the importance of our stance.
Your enquiry: Dear Sir/Madam, I haver been made aware that The Societry Of Black Lawyers have specifically targetted Tottenham Hotspur in relation to an apparent racist chant that their supporters use. The term YID ARMY is chanted by Tottenham fans at games as a term of endearment and recognition of the club's ancestry. The club have apparently been threatened with legal action by this 'Society' if this chant is not terminated. Furthermore the Society appears to equate this chant by its own supporters with other offensive displays by visiting away supporters who collectively hiss as in simulation to the gass chambers. This is extremely offensive to the supporters of Tottenham Hotspur and in particular to the Jewish members of the club

Piara Powar has criticised the Herbert stance as a simplistic approach to a complex problem. He doesn't totally back the Spurs stance, but says the usage by Spurs fans is an area where people disagree.

Herbert, like Baddiel seems to equate it with gas chamber hissing, although he doesn't go as far a Baddiel is saying the Spurs chant is the cause of the hissing by Chelsea fans.

This is exactly the problem. It's not about Jews, its a nickname which has its roots in standing together. As soon as Jewish fans start getting upset then the Lawyers point is proved, its a division, its at heart an ethnic group singing about itself which is exactly what it shouldn't ever ever ever be. We are all spurs fans, all yids together wether black white orange or flying zombie republican.

Do not let them divide us. If you're Jewish, leave it at the turnstile. Yes, we use a word with historical colour but nothing could be further from the truth to say we are all Jews together. We are all spurs fans together. We are all Yiddos

Just out of interested is us calling ourselves Yids the same as Black people calling each other 'N****r'?

It's gross stupidity on the part of SBL to get involved in this. And ignorance as to the reasons why Spurs fans refer to themselves as "yids". No point going over those reasons again as pretty much everyone knows (or should know) them by now.

SBL are also demonstrating ignorance as to the ever evolving nature of the English language. What a word means in one century can be completely different to what it means in another century.

Take the word "gay", for example. How many people use it as a synonym for "happy" these days?

Likewise "yid". In the vernacular context of Spurs, it means only "Spurs fan" or "Spurs player" or even, as a collective, the club as a whole. Its roots might lie in Spurs fans' appropriation of the word to draw the sting of anti semites, back in the 70's and 80's. But, over the passage of time, the meaning has mutated. Even when fans of other clubs use the word "yids" in the context of football, the vast majority of them are only making reference to the club and its fans.

SBL can moan all they want but they are merely making a mockery of themselves and, more importantly, making a mockery of the real fight against racism. They are doing their cause a huge disservice - cheapening it by finding racism where it doesn't exist. Crying wolf. Standing Canute-like against the unstoppable tide of a language's evolution.

SBL will not stop Spurs fans from referring to themselves and their club as "yids". In fact, their risible interference is likely to have precisely the opposite effect. I predict that, in an act of understandable defiance, chanting of the word will become far more frequent.

"Context".............SBL should concentrate on that word instead; digest its meaning; and then slap themselves in the face for being so utterly silly and wasting everyone's time.

Just out of interested is us calling ourselves Yids the same as Black people calling each other 'N****r'?

That is a question to ask the Law Society. They are fair questions that deserve a fair answer. Just e-mail them.

It's gross stupidity on the part of SBL to get involved in this. And ignorance as to the reasons why Spurs fans refer to themselves as "yids". No point going over those reasons again as pretty much everyone knows (or should know) them by now.

SBL are also demonstrating ignorance as to the ever evolving nature of the English language. What a word means in one century can be completely different to what it means in another century.

Take the word "gay", for example. How many people use it as a synonym for "happy" these days?

Likewise "yid". In the vernacular context of Spurs, it means only "Spurs fan" or "Spurs player" or even, as a collective, the club as a whole. Its roots might lie in Spurs fans' appropriation of the word to draw the sting of anti semites, back in the 70's and 80's. But, over the passage of time, the meaning has mutated. Even when fans of other clubs use the word "yids" in the context of football, the vast majority of them are only making reference to the club and its fans.

SBL can moan all they want but they are merely making a mockery of themselves and, more importantly, making a mockery of the real fight against racism. They are doing their cause a huge disservice - cheapening it by finding racism where it doesn't exist. Crying wolf. Standing Canute-like against the unstoppable tide of a language's evolution.

SBL will not stop Spurs fans from referring to themselves and their club as "yids". In fact, their risible interference is likely to have precisely the opposite effect. I predict that, in an act of understandable defiance, chanting of the word will become far more frequent.

"Context".............SBL should concentrate on that word instead; digest its meaning; and then slap themselves in the face for being so utterly silly and wasting everyone's time.

totally agree jimmy and you know what im even going to boo them as well;)

No, the analogy is not exact as most of the Spurs fans using the phrase are not themselves Jewish. It would be similar to Jewish Spurs supporters using the phrase. The use by all Spurs supporters complicates the analogy which would have to include a group of black and white people using the n-word as a sign of anti-racist defiance.

But as Jimmy has just said, its all about context. Why would the Society for Black Lawyers object to something that opposes anti-semitism. Its almost as if they are supporting racist behaviour in deed as well as name.

Surely the fact that we constantly make a point about minorities etc defeats the purpose of trying to elimninate minority 'discrimination' etc.

If we dont have minority groups etc then surely there will be no minorities - no? Its all so counter productive

How on earth does that work?

I'm not defending this particular group but you think if we no longer have groups defending the rights of minorities, everything will be nice and dandy and there will be equal opportunity for all?

How on earth does that work?

I'm not defending this particular group but you think if we no longer have groups defending the rights of minorities, everything will be nice and dandy and there will be equal opportunity for all?

He's saying that the fact that they have specific groups defending them draws attention to the fact that they are minorities.

Or at least i think he is.

If there was just a 'lawyers society' and no minority connotation it would still work, because they would defend the rights of everyone.

But they need to step away from this case because they clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

He's saying that the fact that they have specific groups defending them draws attention to the fact that they are minorities.

Or at least i think he is.

If there was just a 'lawyers society' and no minority connotation it would still work, because they would defend the rights of everyone.

But they're not minorities in the sense that they're a numerically smaller percentage in the general population, they will be under-represented in such professions. By quite a large amount in law I would imagine.

But they're not minorities in the sense that they're a numerically smaller percentage in the general population, they will be under-represented in such professions. By quite a large amount in law I would imagine.

You might be right, but i would assume the solution would be to solve that they are under-represented rather then to go and create your own society.

I'm wondering if they would let someone white join or if this is some sort of cultural segregation.

When you start forming groups like this a 'them and us' attitude forms, whether you want to believe it or not.

Last edited:
Back