• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***The Official Space Thread***

Mars Rover Finds Aliens;

marsroveraliens-640x458.png

racist aliens

Geostationary orbit

A geostationary orbit, or Geostationary Earth Orbit (GEO), is a circular orbit 35,786 km (22,236 mi) above the Earth's equator and following the direction of the Earth's rotation. An object in such an orbit has an orbital period equal to the Earth's rotational period (one sidereal day), and thus appears motionless, at a fixed position in the sky, to ground observers. Communications satellites and weather satellites are often given geostationary orbits, so that the satellite antennas that communicate with them do not have to move to track them, but can be pointed permanently at the position in the sky where they stay. A geostationary orbit is a particular type of geosynchronous orbit.

The notion of a geosynchronous satellite for communication purposes was first published in 1928 (but not widely so) by Herman Potočnik.[1] The idea of a geostationary orbit was first disseminated on a wide scale in a 1945 paper entitled "Extra-Terrestrial Relays — Can Rocket Stations Give Worldwide Radio Coverage?" by British science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke, published in Wireless World magazine. The orbit, which Clarke first described as useful for broadcast and relay communications satellites,[2] is sometimes called the Clarke Orbit.[3] Similarly, the Clarke Belt is the part of space about 35,786 km (22,000 mi) above sea level, in the plane of the Equator, where near-geostationary orbits may be implemented. The Clarke Orbit is about 265,000 km (165,000 mi) long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geostationary_orbit

the notion of orbits make my head spin round..

a few more pics i have stumbled across :

Horsehead Nebula :
JMWP0.jpg

Milk Way viewed from Earth :
MuXbE.jpg

24 hour time lapse photo of the night sky viewed from the South Pole :
4pmQX.jpg

Thought I would bump thiis given the speculation circulating around the findings from by mars rover...

RIP Sir Patrick Moore

Taught me a lot about space and actually made me interested in it.

Back