• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***The official health and fitness thread***

Ill respectfully have to disagree Spasm. I admit there are cases where burning more than you consume won't see an individual lose weight but this is an extreme. As alluded to above its a complete lifestyle change something many are too lazy to see through or will play the victim and say 'This is how I am'

Im sorry but this is the one subject I feel SO strongly about. I got up off my fat, lazy, always tired, processed food eating **** in May 2013 and decided that, at 20 stone and 28 years of age, enough was enough. I walked 3 miles per day and read more books, blogs and listened to so many people its untrue. I worked out my daily calorie requirement and took 1000 off and counted what I ate. Fast forward to November and guess what? Im 15 stone.

As I said this is a subject where I have an extreme interest in and I hate this 'im a special snowflake and can't lose weight' mentality.

Ill respectfully have to disagree Spasm. I admit there are cases where burning more than you consume won't see an individual lose weight but this is an extreme. As alluded to above its a complete lifestyle change something many are too lazy to see through or will play the victim and say 'This is how I am'

Im sorry but this is the one subject I feel SO strongly about. I got up off my fat, lazy, always tired, processed food eating **** in May 2013 and decided that, at 20 stone and 28 years of age, enough was enough. I walked 3 miles per day and read more books, blogs and listened to so many people its untrue. I worked out my daily calorie requirement and took 1000 off and counted what I ate. Fast forward to November and guess what? Im 15 stone.

As I said this is a subject where I have an extreme interest in and I hate this 'im a special snowflake and can't lose weight' mentality.

:ross:

I don't have any specific knowledge about the subject, but only speaking from personal experience, getting up off your lazy ass and working hard, eating right will always gain positive results.

fair enough. good on you for losing the weight Roy. we will have to agree to disagree. :)

What works for me:

A healthy low complex carb diet and plenty of lung busting exercise. That sounds obvious but running 10 miles steady does nothing for me, physically. I have to get the heart rate pumping, when I played 5aside twice a week it was the only exercise I had and I was trim and fit as.

Work put pay to that hahaha

With respect guys as I don't know you everyone has a choice, eat at a deficit you WILL lose weight and it is not a blanket statement - eat at a deficit of 1000 calories per day and you'll lose 2lb per week. Science is why and it is the exact opposite to a quick fix.

The latest fad diet with a fancy name or supplement pills will not see you lose weight and If they do guess what it'll come straight back on in months.

I think you've misinterpreted my post slightly. I wasn't saying that a deficit won't result in weight loss.

A deficit almost certainly will in a healthy individual. My point was that you cannot say that a 1000 calorie deficit equals a 2lb weight loss. It may equal more, it may equal less dependant on the other factors I mentioned (BMR, sex, age and so on)

It promotes a quick fix mentality because people with no experience it weight loss read that statement, think "all I need to do is drop 1000 calories from my diet and ill loose 2lb per week" they misinterpret this as 1000 per day, loose a ton of weight in the first week or so then their metabolism crashes. The weight loss stops, they get fed up and go back to old eating habits which piles on even more weight quicker than before because their BMR is now lower than when they started.

What you should have said was to lose weight you need to work out your basal metabolic weight based on your activity levels and eat a deficit that allows you to drop no more than 2lb per week.

Your statement itself didn't promote a quick fix but the incorrectness of it does as it gives others the chance to completely misinterpret it.

All myths. 1lb of fat is 3500 calories. That's science nothing I've invented. Also the metabolism will not slow down again another myth almost on a par with believing that eating after 6pm means you'll not lose weight.

Eating at a dangerously low daily intake of 1000 over a sustained period of time will damage your metabolism of course but if they read correctly its 1000 less than your body needs.

A 17 stone man, average height will need around 2800 calories per day at a guess to SUSTAIN his weight. Therefore eating 1800 per day would see him lose 2lb per week. That's simply how it works.

What works for me:

A healthy low complex carb diet and plenty of lung busting exercise. That sounds obvious but running 10 miles steady does nothing for me, physically. I have to get the heart rate pumping, when I played 5aside twice a week it was the only exercise I had and I was trim and fit as.

Running & steady? Not sure if you mean a plod...but running burns off 100 calories + per mile. Sometimes, depending on the weight of the runner, it can burn nearer 150 calories per mile. When I run regularly, I lose weight. I've already lost 6lbs this year and my diet hasn't always been great.

Last edited:
What works for me:

That's great! I am also on Low Carb. Works for me.

There are several factors but yes its a decent marker to assume that 1 mile burns 100 calories. Only way you won't lose weight is if you're still eating more than you're burning.

Running & steady? Not sure if you mean a plod...but running burns off 100 calories + per mile. Sometimes, depending on the weight of the runner, it can burn nearer 150 calories per mile. When I run regularly, I lose weight. I've already lost 6lbs this year and my diet hasn't always been great.

Im 15 stone and can run sub 22 min 7k sub, Was a strong runner in my day and find 7-10k ok. I slow down on the final 3k though

I just find I see more changes if I do HIIT training than one pace runs

HIIT is ok but I prefer longer training ie 5-8k runs.

Also, im 15 stone but my pb for 5k was 31:36 how on earth did you run that fast????

HIIT is ok but I prefer longer training ie 5-8k runs.

Also, im 15 stone but my pb for 5k was 31:36 how on earth did you run that fast????

I've messed up my Maths there hahaha, 7k in just under 30 mins.

My mates a Ironman runner so I go with him and he sets a mean pace, and I mean, mean. Its like go heard or don't bother trying to slow me down.

Insane

Im 15 stone and can run sub 22 min 7k sub, Was a strong runner in my day and find 7-10k ok. I slow down on the final 3k though

I just find I see more changes if I do HIIT training than one pace runs

Really? That is extremely fast. I am 14 stone and will never even get close to that. I ran 4k on Wednesday and my time was a fraction over 20 mins.

I hate running, I'd rather do 10 minutes of sprints on a treadmill than 30-40 min of running. All about the HIIT

I hate running, I'd rather do 10 minutes of sprints on a treadmill than 30-40 min of running. All about the HIIT

That's where I am now in terms of losing weight and my body shape improving on the basis I do full body weights 2/3 times a week now

Long way to go but going in right direction

Fair play. I'm not a fan of HIIT but it is widely regarded as the best form of Carsiovascular exercise these days. As a runner I'd go for a long run over HIIT any day but so long as you enjoy your workout its up to everyone individually.

HIIT on an exercise bike is always funny to see in the gym especially when an elderly person or someone who doesn't know what HIIT is is nearby and looks at them with a WTF face.

I've only ever tried HIIT on a bike or treadmill but prefer the bike funnily enough. Got my follow up with my consultant/surgeon on Wednesday so I'm gonna ask him when I can think about running again. 1000 miles was my target for 2014 which I didn't hit after my crap end to the year but gonna aim for 500 hopefully from April.

Fair play. I'm not a fan of HIIT but it is widely regarded as the best form of Carsiovascular exercise these days. As a runner I'd go for a long run over HIIT any day but so long as you enjoy your workout its up to everyone individually.

HIIT on an exercise bike is always funny to see in the gym especially when an elderly person or someone who doesn't know what HIIT is is nearby and looks at them with a WTF face.

I've only ever tried HIIT on a bike or treadmill but prefer the bike funnily enough. Got my follow up with my consultant/surgeon on Wednesday so I'm gonna ask him when I can think about running again. 1000 miles was my target for 2014 which I didn't hit after my crap end to the year but gonna aim for 500 hopefully from April.

All myths. 1lb of fat is 3500 calories. That's science nothing I've invented. Also the metabolism will not slow down again another myth almost on a par with believing that eating after 6pm means you'll not lose weight.

Eating at a dangerously low daily intake of 1000 over a sustained period of time will damage your metabolism of course but if they read correctly its 1000 less than your body needs.

A 17 stone man, average height will need around 2800 calories per day at a guess to SUSTAIN his weight. Therefore eating 1800 per day would see him lose 2lb per week. That's simply how it works.[/QUOTE]

There are a couple of key things as to why your assumption is wrong. Much of this was learned from Lyle MacDonald, who's a bit of a bell-end but is worth reading his stuff if you are interested in a scientific approach to weight loss.

1. muscle and fat are not identical

Your advice is based off the assumption that the weight being lost is 100% fat. When burned by the body, one gram of fat provides 9 calories so 400 grams of fat contains about 3600 calories of stored energy. Now you know where the old 3,500 calories to lose a pound comes from. It's incorrect because on a diet where you just eat 1,000cals less of anything you also lose muscle and connective tissue. Muscle and connective tissue does not provide as much energy to the body as a pound of fat does (muscle provides about 600cals when broken down).

So hypothetically someone who was made up of 100% fat would lose 1lb on a 3500/week deficit, someone who was 50% fat 50% muscle would lose around 1.7lb and someone who was 100% muscle would lose 5.8lb all with the same 3,500cal/weel deficit.

2. The energy balance equation is not static (and metabolic slowdown is not a myth)

People assume that if their maintenance caloric intake is exactly 2500 calories (at calorie balance); therefore if they start eating 2000 calories they should lose exactly 1 pound per week. Or that that the 2,500 calorie/day maintenance will not change.

Aside from the muscle vs. fat thing, this is still incorrect because the equation isn’t static, this makes predicted and actual changes in body mass different.

When you lose weight, BMR goes down becasuse a smaller body burns less calories. However, there are also changes in hormones like leptin, insulin, nervous system output and thyroid hormones. Each of these factors have an influence on basal metabolic rate which lessens the actual deficit being created. The previously estimated maintenance value is no longer correct. To keep losing fat at anywhere near the same rate, calories have to be reduced further to take this reduction into account.

The Thermic effect of food and water balances are other important factor but since I've been rambling on I'll not go into them.

So, to go back to your example and your advice 'A 17 stone man, average height will need around 2800 calories per day at a guess to SUSTAIN his weight. Therefore eating 1800 per day would see him lose 2lb per week'

If he was a 17 stone man of average height with a bodyfat % of 10% eating 1800 would not see him lose 2lb per week, for the reasons above. If he was a 17 stone endomorphic man he may lose 2lb per week but eventually this would slow as his BMR becomes lower.

If we were talking about a small woman who only needs 1250 calories per day, she couldn't even survive on 250cals a day that would be left over if she went for a 1000cal deficit.

So now do you unbderstand why you can't just say to absolutely everyone 'just eat 1000 cals less than what you need everyday and you will lose 2lb per week'?

Last edited:
Millsy again, respectfully, I can't agree with your above post. A 17st man with a body fat % of 10% doesn't exist I'd imagine. It's not an 'assumption' of mine as you say - it's science. Repetitive of me I know but it simply is.

You might not lose 2lb exactly every week due to water retention, high sodium levels etc... But it will average out in time. Where people don't continue to lose weight is they don't re-evaluate their caloric requirements and carry on eating at the higher amount despite losing.

Millsy again, respectfully, I can't agree with your above post. A 17st man with a body fat % of 10% doesn't exist I'd imagine. It's not an 'assumption' of mine as you say - it's science. Repetitive of me I know but it simply is.

You might not lose 2lb exactly every week due to water retention, high sodium levels etc... But it will average out in time. Where people don't continue to lose weight is they don't re-evaluate their caloric requirements and carry on eating at the higher amount despite losing.

I've just explained to you scientifically why what you are saying is not scientific fact. But you're still claiming it is. So, let's look at it from another angle, show me the equation that is used to work out that there are 3500 calories in 1lb of fat.

There are plenty of people who are 17st 10% body fat. Pick any pro rugby team and you'll find a few.

It will only average out as 2lb 'in time' if the person losing the weight has the correct metabolic conditions (as explained in my previous post) for them to lose 2lb per week on a 1000 calorie deficit. As I keep saying, this is not everybody.

I do agree with your last statement about people not re evaluating requirements though.

Last edited:
Back