• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
Modric didn't look as good as he should amongst the best out there didn't he. Silva, Iniesta, Pirlo, Khadeira (sp?), Oezil and more. Even Gerrard showed more influence and contribution for a poorly performing English side.

Trying to convince yourself we'll be better off if he goes to Madrid?

What an anti-climax finish to the tournament. Thought the Final would be evenly contested between Spain and Italy. Instead, it was all over as an contest when Spain scored their first goal in 13th min. This Italian team have proved to be good only when they score first. So they didn't know how to respond when Spain scored first. Surely, this must be the most one-sided Final of a major tournament ever.

Italy were never in the game at all. Most of the Italian players looked nervous from from the start. Maybe the big match occation got to them. I think Italy made it too open for Spain. They should have concentrated on defence first. And they totally gave up when they went down to 10 men when Motta got injured. I think the Italian coach made a mistake by making the third substitution so early in the 2nd half. He should have waited a bit longer. When you make use of all the 3 subs so early in the match, there is always this risk of players getting injured. This is what happened to Italy. They didn't get many chances but when they did, they wasted them. Di Natale should have scored early in the 2nd half. It could have made the match more interesting.

Really disappointed about Italy. Thought they would be fired up after beating Germany. This means none of the teams had been consistent throughout this tournament. Spain didn't even look champions until the semi final and Italy were good only until the semi finals. Germany were only good until the quarter finals. This inconsistency actually made the tournament more exciting than the previous ones.

Well done to Spain for retaining the Euro Cup and winning their 3rd consecutive major tournament. Without a doubt, they are one of the best ever national team. Just wish they had played more excitingly instead of the boring boring tiki-taka football. I think Torres doesn't deserved to win the golden boot award. His 2 goals came against a shyte Ireland and scored and created another against 10-men Italy who have already gave up by then. Apart from that, he was shyte, wasting many easy chances. They should have given a joint golden boot to all the 5 players who have scored 3 goals each.

Last edited:
Modric didn't look as good as he should amongst the best out there didn't he. Silva, Iniesta, Pirlo, Khadeira (sp?), Oezil and more. Even Gerrard showed more influence and contribution for a poorly performing English side.

He was by far the best player the champions faced, almost sent them out of the group stage, Iniesta asked for his shirt.
If Croatia had been in England's group, in stead of against the two finalists, they'd have an easy stroll to the knockout phases -
then perhaps he'd be a bigger profile of the tournament.

Trying to convince yourself we'll be better off if he goes to Madrid?

Perhaps... but I'm looking at him thinking and thinking about how we will miss him. Not as much as say Emirates Marketing Project would if they lost Silva for instance. (Yes apples to oranges, but I'm forcing a comparison here.)

Just looking at this competition I'd say that there are loads of quality midfield players but a dearth of quality strikers.

Maybe its the changing style of football overall. If (when) Modric leaves, we may not replace him completely, but I believe we will be adjust and make ammends and recover from it without missing too him too much. Looking for good strikers, to partner ade - or worse to replace him - that I forsee is a bigger headache.

He was by far the best player the champions faced, almost sent them out of the group stage, Iniesta asked for his shirt.
If Croatia had been in England's group, in stead of against the two finalists, they'd have an easy stroll to the knockout phases -
then perhaps he'd be a bigger profile of the tournament.

how do you know it wasnt Modric that asked for Iniesta's shirt???;)

Agree with the sentiments of the board.

Spain have been boring on the whole, but they were breathtaking tonight! That is why it is so frustrating because they are so good but they only chose to turn on the style tonight. And I'm sorry, they would still win playing with a striker.

Also goes to show how overrated tactics can be at times. Goes without saying but Spain win because they are simply head and shoulders above everybody else.

I just hope their win doesn't cause others to copy this style of play and play without a striker!!!

And I still cannot believe Llorente didn't even get a kick!!

how can you say that, especially after watching spain yesterday?

how can you say that, especially after watching spain yesterday?
Which bit? Most if it's spot on I'd say.

As the late, great, Danny Blanchflower said - "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It's nothing of the kind. The game is about glory. It's about doing things in style, with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."

Maybe a sentiment from a time long passed, but to me, it still rings entirely true, and is why I find Spain's performance through this tournament so infuriating!

And as for anybody saying "That's rich coming from somebody that supports England" - not really. I fully accept - and did before the tournament - that England would be rubbish. Doesn't stop me having a view on the others and appreciating genuinely exciting, attacking football. Which is exactly what Spain demonstrated last night.

Last edited:
Which bit? Most if it's spot on I'd say.

As the late, great, Danny Blanchflower said - "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It's nothing of the kind. The game is about glory. It's about doing things in style, with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."

Maybe a sentiment from a time long passed, but to me, it still rings entirely true, and is why I find Spain's performance through this tournament so infuriating!

And as for anybody saying "That's rich coming from somebody that supports England" - not really. I fully accept - and did before the tournament - that England would be rubbish. Doesn't stop me having a view on the others and appreciating genuinely exciting, attacking football. Which is exactly what Spain demonstrated last night.

everyone has a right to their opinion mate, and i fully respect yours and where you're coming from...even though i dont agree with. but i was commenting on the part in bold from Jurgen

Totally disagree.

We now know that Croatia's group was the real 'Group of Death' and that he played well against the very best. Did you see how Gerrard,Parker and co performed against Italy? They could barely get out of their own half and were treading water after an hour.

In contrast, Modric was far superior against the same opposition and look at his run/break against Spain, a team that beat Italy 4-0!
Those teams in Group c partly cancelled each other out(except Ireland) and nobody looked fantastic because of the high quality of the opposition.

Last edited:
this.

the very fact that english fans and in particular the english media (you're all brainwashed) have the gall to label spain as boring, well it's just simply too much.

its quite hilarious/shocking at the same time. lol.

Spain were boring by their own standards. Up until the final, they actually turned it on a bit in the final.

It has nothing to do with being English, was it English fans booing them in the stadiums when they put together 20-30 passes? I believe not.

Edit: I'm not saying they were crap prior to the final, just not particularly exciting. This could be attributed to the Lack of Villa, or their opponents being defensive. However the fact that they could turn it on when they wanted, in the final, makes me think they were just told to play like that.

Last edited:
Thought Modric was excellant this tournament and may have put a few $$ on his price tag, he was one of the only midfielders to live with the Spanish 6.

Gary Lineker @GaryLineker

The audience figures for Spain triumph; BBC1 13.4. ITV 2.3m. Thanks all for your support!

everyone has a right to their opinion mate, and i fully respect yours and where you're coming from...even though i dont agree with. but i was commenting on the part in bold from Jurgen
Oh right. Ha ha! I was reading it on my mobile which seemed incapable of doing the bolding - stupid thing. Well, I agree on that front. Strategy and tactics..... if you don't have 'em, you're destined for failure. Great tactics and boring football can win matches - not that that's what I'd ever subscribe to, but they do. Sadly.

Back