• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2021/22 Premier League Thread

The only thing I think of when I watch Pool these days is ' it could have been us'.

We had the same philosophy. A better coach, imo. And better players as late as 2016/2017.

They had the far, far, far better owners - transformative owners who cared about winning, invested when it mattered most, backed Klopp to the hilt in good times and bad. That's the only difference.

Everything they did, we could have done, but they had FSG and we have...ENIC.

Their rise and our fall into mid-table and possibly worse will be a case study down the road, imo. As natural experiments go in football, there aren't many as useful as this one.
Look, we all loved Poch to varying degrees. But he has done nothing to show he is a better coach than Klopp….

They invested more than that, though. Iirc, in terms of owner investment, they backed Klopp with about 100m over the years (not including what they spent on the stadium renovation) - a pittance by PL standards, but enough to push him over the line to win the CL and the PL.

Poch didn't need that much to get over the line, but he got absolutely nothing from Levy or ENIC.

And worse than that, at the first sign of trouble, he was dumped by Levy. Klopp had a horrendous, horrendous 2020/2021 for the most part - they kept him, he turned it around at the end and now they're flying again. They kept faith with their man.

We didn't keep faith with a manager who was (imo) better than Klopp when they were both here.

Agree with most of that accept for poch being better.

Trying watching PSG.

The only thing I think of when I watch Pool these days is ' it could have been us'.

We had the same philosophy. A better coach, imo. And better players as late as 2016/2017.

We love Poch but I’m afraid Klopp is demonstrably a better coach. He’s proven it at 2 clubs now.

Agree with most of that accept for poch being better.

Trying watching PSG.
I think PSG are hopelessly unbalanced. They have this stellar attack but the rest of the team is ordinary bar the keepers ( Donnaruma is a beast). But their midfield seems to be full of PL rejects. Which is why I can't see them winning the CL. The back 4 need an overhaul. Plus he needs a Kante type tiger in the middle of the park.

Can't believe Man U haven't sacked Ole already. No room for nostalgia. Look at Chelsea, they don't hang around when a manager shows they are not up to the job. No way should they be losing 5-0 at home to Liverpool with the squad Man utd have. It's criminal.

Look, we all loved Poch to varying degrees. But he has done nothing to show he is a better coach than Klopp….
This. Although I'd like to see if Klopp could get a Liverpool team where the midfield consists of Winks and Sissoko to the Champions League final.

This. Although I'd like to see if Klopp could get a Liverpool team where the midfield consists of Winks and Sissoko to the Champions League final.
Agree. Although to be fair according to many on here Liverpool bypass the midfield anyway, so wouldn’t be a problem:D….

Can't believe Man U haven't sacked Ole already. No room for nostalgia. Look at Chelsea, they don't hang around when a manager shows they are not up to the job. No way should they be losing 5-0 at home to Liverpool with the squad Man utd have. It's criminal.

Have you seen their fixtures for the next few weeks, no one will touch them until January so might as well wait it out.

CL final was turning point, whoever came out of that was going to prosper.
Would have been interesting to see what would have happened with klopp, how many finals without a win? 6/7?

Ferguson looked seriously p1ssed off in the crowd. Great to see Pogba sent off though. Such a dirty tackler. Dives in recklessly so many times but usually gets away with it.

They had Henderson, Fabinho and Wjnaldum. Better than our midfield but by far the weakest part of their team. For me, Klopp and Simeone are the two best coaches in the game. They’ve won trophies with big clubs but they don’t have bottomless pockets that Chelsea, PSG, City, United etc have. Then there’s every other coach. Poch is below the likes of Pep and Ancelotti IMO.

CL final was turning point, whoever came out of that was going to prosper.
Would have been interesting to see what would have happened with klopp, how many finals without a win? 6/7?

What Klopp achieved at Dortmund was pretty impressive and IMO trumps what Poch achieved here. But I do agree had Poch won the CL it would have taken him to a new level whereas people would rightly be asking why Klopp’s record in finals is poor.

What Klopp achieved at Dortmund was pretty impressive and IMO trumps what Poch achieved here. But I do agree had Poch won the CL it would have taken him to a new level whereas people would rightly be asking why Klopp’s record in finals is poor.

Yeah i would agree.
Even though its a one team league and bayern were in a dip he got them over the line.

Yeah i would agree.
Even though its a one team league and bayern were in a dip he got them over the line.

I dunno, Bayern got to back to back CL finals during Klopp’s time at Dortmund and should have won it twice. Would have done if not for that bottler Mario Gomez missing all those chances in the final against Chelsea.

They had Henderson, Fabinho and Wjnaldum. Better than our midfield but by far the weakest part of their team. For me, Klopp and Simeone are the two best coaches in the game. They’ve won trophies with big clubs but they don’t have bottomless pockets that Chelsea, PSG, City, United etc have. Then there’s every other coach. Poch is below the likes of Pep and Ancelotti IMO.
Henderson Winaljdum and Fabinho are quite a few levels above Sissoko and Winks!!! Blimey! Poch achieved amazing things here too compared to the level of team and the club pedigree he inherited.

I know you like to beat Poch with the lack of trophies but his period of success with us is looking more and more of an outlier to any thing before or since in the PL era. That's why I find it strange that Spurs fans dismiss his ability so easily

Whereas Liverpool had been winning trophies under successive managers and finishing top 4 before Klopp who, ok took them the final step in the PL. That club pedigree meant they could pay higher wages and attract better players in. Hence Klopp could sign the targets that were on Poch's wish list as well. A point well made by @DubaiSpur.

I think to discount Pep is also unfair. He has repeatedly built great teams, bottomless pit it may be but let's be honest neither Klopp nor Simeone have built their teams on shoe string budgets.

Last edited:
Back