• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2015/16 Premier League Thread

Maybe I've misread the situation, but I thought Lerner took over with good intentions and seemed the ideal chairman, but then lost a personal fortune through his business and so Villa took a back seat in priority?

Surely Lerner has fudgeed up then? By not spending enough the last few years, they lack quality and will go down and then miss out on all the Prem TV money. I really think Villa will struggle to come back up, I can see them doing a Leeds.

fudged up massively by hiring Sherwood. A completely inexperienced manager that had never been through a summer transfer window in charge of a club to spend the Benteke and Delph money...

Not sure how much is "spending enough". But have Villa been outspent by the current mid-table clubs and clubs at least fighting relegation instead of giving in to it?

fudgeed up massively by hiring Sherwood. A completely inexperienced manager that had never been through a summer transfer window in charge of a club to spend the Benteke and Delph money...

Not sure how much is "spending enough". But have Villa been outspent by the current mid-table clubs and clubs at least fighting relegation instead of giving in to it?

Selling your best player and p1ssing away the money can happen to clubs far better able to weather it than Villa: look at us with the Bale money (Soldado, Capoue, Paulinho and Chiriches, all absolute turd for us) or Liverpool with their Suarez windfall (have they bought any good players with that money?) or the Torres windfall before that.

Villa were already on the way down under Lambert, and that was with Benteke. The club is rotten, Sherwood was a continuation, but not the cause imo. Look at how Lambert was doing and how Garde is doing now (even worse). If 3 managers in a row were going down the toilet with the club, then there must be problems with how the club is run at the very top.

Selling your best player and p1ssing away the money can happen to clubs far better able to weather it than Villa: look at us with the Bale money (Soldado, Capoue, Paulinho and Chiriches, all absolute turd for us) or Liverpool with their Suarez windfall (have they bought any good players with that money?) or the Torres windfall before that.

Villa were already on the way down under Lambert, and that was with Benteke. The club is rotten, Sherwood was a continuation, but not the cause imo. Look at how Lambert was doing and how Garde is doing now (even worse). If 3 managers in a row were going down the toilet with the club, then there must be problems with how the club is run at the very top.

Lambert wasn't great. And they weren't particularly good before him either. But they did manage to stay up. And they did at least sign some good players under Lambert.

A manager coming in with no real transfer experience into an already difficult situation though... Hindsight is a wonderful thing. But in hindsight, bringing in Sherwood was a horrible decision.

Lambert wasn't great. And they weren't particularly good before him either. But they did manage to stay up. And they did at least sign some good players under Lambert.

A manager coming in with no real transfer experience into an already difficult situation though... Hindsight is a wonderful thing. But in hindsight, bringing in Sherwood was a horrible decision.

Agree, it was a bad decision, but look at how Garde is getting on too. You can't polish a turd. They stayed up under Lambert with Benteke. They were on the way down with Lambert, so they got shot of him. Sherwood got Benteke going a little bit and then they stayed up again. They sold Benteke and wasted the money, but as I said, so have other clubs who sold their best player for big bucks.

It would have been smarter for them to get a Fat Sam or Pulis type, but maybe they tried and those guys said "no thanks."

Agree, it was a bad decision, but look at how Garde is getting on too. You can't polish a turd. They stayed up under Lambert with Benteke. They were on the way down with Lambert, so they got shot of him. Sherwood got Benteke going a little bit and then they stayed up again. They sold Benteke and wasted the money, but as I said, so have other clubs who sold their best player for big bucks.

It would have been smarter for them to get a Fat Sam or Pulis type, but maybe they tried and those guys said "no thanks."

Garde is getting on with Sherwood's squad, a squad devoid of confidence having been thrown around like a rag doll.

To compare Garde and Sherwood you would have to give both a summer transfer window and the Benteke+Delph money and see if both spent it just as poorly.

Surely Lerner has fudgeed up then? By not spending enough the last few years, they lack quality and will go down and then miss out on all the Prem TV money. I really think Villa will struggle to come back up, I can see them doing a Leeds.

could learner have done more? probably. but tbh, apart from about 6 clubs, every club has genuine risks of relegation. its russian roulette for those 14 clubs. was almost swansea this year. maybe next year southampton and leicester are fighting relegation. villa are just unlucky that its them going down this year.

i think recently american owners have come into premier league football with a level of naiveity. learner thought he could crack top 4, fsg thought they could moneyball it up, theres no way khan thought fulham would go down when he bought them etc. to me it appears that the capitalistic disposition of the epl is something of a shock to the american owners who are used to the safety net that u.s. sports offer clubs/owners.

pl football is not really about running an operating profit. and if you want success (be it a top 4 finish or a title win), most clubs have no chance unless they make severe financial losses in the years leading up to the "success". american owners think that they can "outsmart" the incumbent teams. but time and time again, their policies are shown to be ignorant in regards to how competitive the pl is both on and off the pitch.

Randy Lerner saw the Premier League as a field of opportunity. But he hopped on the riding mower schitfaced and now he's got a corn maze.

That's your basic agricultural analogy for Aston Villa.

could learner have done more? probably. but tbh, apart from about 6 clubs, every club has genuine risks of relegation. its russian roulette for those 14 clubs. was almost swansea this year. maybe next year southampton and leicester are fighting relegation. villa are just unlucky that its them going down this year.

i think recently american owners have come into premier league football with a level of naiveity. learner thought he could crack top 4, fsg thought they could moneyball it up, theres no way khan thought fulham would go down when he bought them etc. to me it appears that the capitalistic disposition of the epl is something of a shock to the american owners who are used to the safety net that u.s. sports offer clubs/owners.

pl football is not really about running an operating profit. and if you want success (be it a top 4 finish or a title win), most clubs have no chance unless they make severe financial losses in the years leading up to the "success". american owners think that they can "outsmart" the incumbent teams. but time and time again, their policies are shown to be ignorant in regards to how competitive the pl is both on and off the pitch.

Latest Deloitte money league has them as the 23rd richest club in the world and the 11th richest club in England. Passed by Southampton this recent year quite possibly because of Southampton's sales (though I'm not sure about that). They were even further up in the past iirc, part of why they've been one of the 7 clubs never to get relegated in the PL part of football history.

To see them outperformed by clubs like Southampton and Swansea year by year is not just a luck thing. To be performing so poorly that it's only been matched by a small handful of from what I can remember have always been newly promoted teams with little money to spend with their financial basis is not just bad luck.

@braineclipse youre right in that they wont be blaming 'bad luck' only if they go down this season. but in the grand scheme of things, 14/15 of the 20 pl clubs are going to get relegated sooner or later, and it just so happens to be villa's turn this season. if anything, they were lucky not to have gone down sooner. theyve been extremely lucky in that sense.

also the money gap between the likes of southampton and villa is nominal imo (makes little discernable difference). and even more so when you consider that the owner is not willing to spend any more anyway.

Good thing i'm not a Stoke supporter....

BREAKING NEWS:

STOKE FREEZE TICKET PRICES

Stoke City have decided to freeze season ticket prices for the 2016-17 season - a ninth consecutive year

It means the cheapest adult ticket at the Britannia Stadium remains £344

Just wasted two hours of my life watching the Spammers. My GHod they were brick. Sunderland had about four great chances, but poor finishing cost them.

Been watching the Leicester Norwich game for a few minutes. The Norwich midfielders are all lazy fudges who give zero protection to their back line. They are gonna lose.

Been watching the Leicester Norwich game for a few minutes. The Norwich midfielders are all lazy fudges who give zero protection to their back line. They are gonna lose.
Maybe I'm grasping for straws, but I don't think Leicester look as fluent and instinctive as they were some weeks ago. Looks more like they are trying to force it. Definitely think they are on the way down.

Even against Norwich, who are playing absolute brick, Leicester is hoofing it whenever they get a chance. This team shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the league.

Back