• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Left Side

PuraVidaMon

Paolo Tramezzani
Thrilled to have Davies, however, as I sit here at the office pretending to work - but, really, just going through a bazillion different iterations on company paper of our starting 11 - the one place I keep getting stuck is who is the best option at left wing. How do you see it?

Eriksen for me too.

Chadli is decent back-up, but I wouldn't like to see him starting based on last year's form.

We really do need a Konoplyanka, Depay or Douglas Costa

In iterations 1 through 967 I always have Eriksen in the middle. Either I need to expand my thinking, or it's a need that also has to be addressed. What would Holtby look like over there?

I expect to see a fluid front three of lamela, eriksen and a striker

Ade, soldado and Kane can all work the channels and Eriksen, lamela and holtby can all run from deep or wide to get onto things

So it won't matter so much who starts there

Completely disagree with CE on the left wing. He needs to play centrally to get the best out of him IMO. We need a left winger as Chadli must only be back up this season. If we're gonna challenge top 4 we need a top notch left winger. You sell Gareth Bale and I think it's only fair to expect him to replaced as best you can no?

Completely disagree with CE on the left wing. He needs to play centrally to get the best out of him IMO. We need a left winger as Chadli must only be back up this season. If we're gonna challenge top 4 we need a top notch left winger. You sell Gareth Bale and I think it's only fair to expect him to replaced as best you can no?

who would you go for??? atm i would rather see rose there than lennon left wing ever again i must admit!

Well although I don't want Rose there he is more naturally suited to LW than CE at least!! Griezmann would be up there but if that's not possible I'd like to see El Shaarawy or Florian Thauvin from Marseille. He's a young Frenchman who I like the look of.

If we started the season as we are now it'd have to be Chadli.

I think youll find Chadli ending up there, maybe not to start off with but eventually. Its a shame when he was properly fit he got moved centre mid, would have preferred him to have a run out wide....

I think Chadli could be particularly useful when we use Soldado as the CF, as he'll give us a bit of height, power and hold-up play, which none of our other attacking players bar Ade have.

I think Chadli could be particularly useful when we use Soldado as the CF, as he'll give us a bit of height, power and hold-up play, which none of our other attacking players bar Ade have.

I would have thought so too based on his size, but last season he provided very little power, aerial threat or hold-up play I thought. Needs to Dempsey it a bit more.

I think Eriksen is much too good and much too young to say that he can only play centrally.

I don't quite see what it is that makes Eriksen unsuitable to starting in a wide position and roaming from there whereas someone like Silva is perfectly capable of it.

But Bale didn't play as a left winger when we sold him...

Last edited:
Exactly what I said in another thread, he is a powerful physical forward who still has good technical abundance - this is something none of our other wing forwards have. I dont get why some are so eager to offload him, he showed a lot of good flashes of what he can do - everything was so up in the air last season, Im not going to judge any of our signings until a good few months of Poch's reign....

I would have thought so too based on his size, but last season he provided very little power, aerial threat or hold-up play I thought. Needs to Dempsey it a bit more.

The only time he got a proper run in the side was centre mid though, its difficult to demonstrate any of what you've mentioned in that position....

The only time he got a proper run in the side was centre mid though, its difficult to demonstrate any of what you've mentioned in that position....

He started 15 PL games and 4 EL games according to whoscored, came on as a sub in another 10 (9 and 1). From what I remember he was used as a central midfielder in no more than a small handful of games.

He had plenty of chances to prove himself big, strong, powerful, tough etc. Dempsey managed it when being in and out of the team just fine.

I really think he needs to toughen up a bit if he wants to use his size properly. Or perhaps he is tough enough, but just needs to get used to what he can get away with at this level and in the PL. Either way he needs to change his style a bit imo.

Yeah I wasnt disputing that he got game time, Im not convinced about how much of it he was out wide on the left for though - I remember him being there a few times under AVB but to be honest the way the whole team was playing wasnt exactly the best opportunity to show what he could do. Anyway, even if he'd played there every game last season I stand by my point that he will be a big asset for us this season....

As for the Demspsey comparison, he had been playing in this league for years - that was a massive help and why its better we judge all our signings this season now theyve got a year under a belt....

Back