• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The January Centre Midfield thread

Or AVB is only playing 4-2-3-1 till we sign a Moutinho like player and can switch to his favoured 4-3-3. That despenses of the #10 role, and has Dembele and Moutinho both as dual #8s/10s.

For me Moutinho is unique. A player of that calibre wouldn't usually look twice at us - it's only his relationship with our manager that makes it at all possible.

I'm fully prepared for Jonny Howson or Charlie Adam at 11:30pm on 31 January though.

Yep, agree that we'll eventually move to 4-3-3 as our main formation, however if we do ourhomeowrk properly I cant believe that its impossible to sign someone who could play in the DEmpsey role in the current 4-2-3-1 formation but then move to one of hte wide forward positions in a 4-3-3. A lot of the basic skills for the two positions are the same, though pace is more valued in the latter

Why would AVB lie so blatantly about the move?

Our record signings of 4 years ago (Bent and Modric) - 16m would be closer to 20m today if you account for inflation and general market price increases

I doubt 20m is improbable for the right 'Levy' player - i.e. young, great potential and high re-sale.

We also spent 60m in the summer alone (Modric' sale granted but that about half at best, imv) - second PL highest only behind Chelsea

Well Pjanic is the best central midfielder we could get. All the attributes Modric has but better (shooting etc.), still only 22 years of age and would absolutely run our midfield. Imagine Pjanic/Dembele/Sandro, oh my GHod.

Wouldn't mind a look at Isco either but he wouldn't technically be CM. £17m release clause though apparently. He's special.

More realistic than Moutinho as well

Why would AVB lie so blatantly about the move?
Our record signings of 4 years ago (Bent and Modric) - 16m would be closer to 20m today if you account for inflation and general market price increases

I doubt 20m is improbable for the right 'Levy' player - i.e. young, great potential and high re-sale.

We also spent 60m in the summer alone (Modric' sale granted but that about half at best, imv) - second PL highest only behind Chelsea

Am not saying that he's lying. Am sure that Levy put a call in, however the fact that that call happened on Aug 30th or 31st tells you it was a pretty half hearted move and neither you nor I, possibly nor AVB, know what price or payment structure Levy said to the Porto chairman. It could well be that Levy (who I like) did it to appease his manager with a view that if they were willing to sell so late in the window then he would happily buy Moutinho as long as the price was right (ie low enough). Similar to how he grabbed VDV late in the window from Real - probably made that call thinking that there was a low probability but because of the nature of Real, it came off

More realistic than Moutinho as well

Most definitely, probably cheaper too and younger. I've seen Pjanic run games against the likes of Real Madrid. Admittedly, I haven't seen more of Moutinho than I have of Pjanic but never seen him run one game. Remember seeing him about numerous times for Portugal though and get outshined by Raul Meireles every time. But I am sure he is good if he's getting high ratings on here.

Most definitely, probably cheaper too and younger. I've seen Pjanic run games against the likes of Real Madrid. Admittedly, I haven't seen more of Moutinho than I have of Pjanic but never seen him run one game. Remember seeing him about numerous times for Portugal though and get outshined by Raul Meireles every time. But I am sure he is good if he's getting high ratings on here.

He runs many games but the one you would have seen was Portugal - Spain at the Euros - completley bossed the midfield

He runs many games but the one you would have seen was Portugal - Spain at the Euros - completley bossed the midfield

It definitely passes me by, I remember him missing the penalty though. Typical really if he was linked with Spurs after :p

Honestly?

I'd look for an up and coming creative. Someone young around 20 years of age. Granted that's far easier said than done. I'll be honest that i haven't really watched as much non-EPL football as i usually do so i'm likely behind the curve.

I'm actually quite optimistic about a CM of Dembele and Sandro, with Dempsey in front.

Though i do guess it depends on AVB's formational plans.

I think we need an AM more, like Willian(who I know plays from the left but he and Bale could swap fluidly)

Moutinho, Isco and Pjanic are the ones that spring to mind for me. I can't comment on other players that I haven't seen - but these three would command a new transfer record for us, but I believe we need to add a spark of creativity to our midfield. We need to trust AVB - if he feels that Moutinho would be better in our team then we have to back him. He knows the player well after his time at Porto, after all.

I'd look for an up and coming creative. Someone young around 20 years of age.

Carroll_2656097.jpg

Attachments

• Carroll_2656097.jpg
    Carroll_2656097.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 3
Where does the new midfielder play? Alongside Sandro pushing Dembele further forward where he isn't as effective? Or do we buy a proper replacement for VdV?

Ideally we need someone who's going to score goals.

Eriksen scored a goal for Ajax yesterday. Very much the unfinished article still from what the educated posters on here say.

I think we need an AM more, like Willian(who I know plays from the left but he and Bale could swap fluidly)

I guess with another ballplaying CM like Moutinho, Dembele would move to the furthest forward of the trio (although those two would interchange a lot I'd imagine).

For me the problem with retaining possession is greater at the moment than not being able to craft out chances.

Eh, I'd much rather spend the money on a Striker.

If we're going to play 4-4-2 (From time to time), it's a bit silly to just have 2.

For me the priorities, in order, are:

1) Ballplaying registas (Moutinho/Pjanic)
2) #9 (Leandro)
3) AM (Willian)
4) Back-up LB (Fryers)

Eriksen scored a goal for Ajax yesterday. Very much the unfinished article still from what the educated posters on here say.

I really don't think he's in the same bracket as any of the names mentioned on here so far.

In fact I would say he's a typical Spurs signing (a new Postiga, Blondel, Ziegler etc)

Back