• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Greatest Gigs You Never Saw......

Sheffield Spur

Øyvind Leonhardsen
Just for a moment, you are H.G. Wells, and you have a really nice time machine. You are able to go back to see five separate artistes/bands live on stage who you never saw, but really wish you did. You missed it, couldn't go, couldn't get a ticket or just plain were too young..... or not even born! Plus you have unrestricted access.

These could be the artist/band generally, live, but more interesting would be on a particular tour or one off gig. And why?

Who? Five, remember. Not fifty!

To set the ball rolling, I would have loved to have been to these. Oh, if only!

1. James Marshall Hendrix. Any time around 1967/1968. A genius. GHod! Changed music forever. Greatest electric guitar player of all time, and the most inventive. Live at that time he was meant to be out of this world.

Something like this....

http://novdec1967.blogspot.co.uk/

2. The Beatles. A Cavern gig must be a hell of a memory. They may have stopped touring in the mid 1960's so to go back to be an extra in Magical Mystery Tour would have to do. I went with parents to see Help at the cinema in 1965, aged 6. Kids screamed throughout. The nearest I ever got.

If you have time, watch....

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;...tery+tour+film&fr2=sa-gp&fr=yfp-t-306-s&rd=r1

Zany. Alternative. Wierd. Absorbing. Surreal. But the music..... timeless. They changed the world.

3. David Bowie. 1974. The Diamond Dogs Tour. I went ticketless to try and 'crash' the local city hall gig. It was one of the few I didn't get in. It was the talk of school the next day. When Bowie really was a creative force to be reckoned with.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DiamondDogsChannel

4. The Sex Pistols. Anarchy in the UK tour. 1976. We went to get tickets and were told it had been banned. They played Doncaster later as The Tax Exiles. I found out the following day. Never did see them live. Raw raw raw! They changed world musically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkLkZxztsck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWb2T4gQyZw

5. Blue Oyster Cult. 'Spectres' Tour. 1978. Sheffield City Hall. I missed it! One of my favourite bands, and one I had never seen, then. I would take the Agents of Fortune album to the grave. The next morning was my first A Level. Enough said. Apparently it was brilliant said friends, apart from the laser show being banned. Listen out for Death Valley Nights in the following on Spectres. Truly brilliant track. And A polyphonic version of Godzilla is my mobile ringtone. Sad, huh! :(

I did see them live 3 or 4 times later. But it isn't that simple. Its when, as well. A point in time.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeGLTrdzr6E

Death Valley Nights. Give it a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTkmpRtBu0U

Or to epitomise the BOC 'sound'. Take Me Away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1NYhbiiiFw

Or Dancing in the Ruins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlVWprYozR8

Wonderful band.

Yours?

i'd have liked to have seen Nirvana at some point, the main one for me though would be Queen at Wembley in 86

1. Love - never played outside LA while the original line up was together but had a residency at Bido Lito. 60'S LA scenesters, yes please. Or maybe just to have seen Arthur Lee play Forever Changes.

2. CSNY - Woodstock 1969. Shakey refused to be filmed so he is left out of all the videos, but seeing this and sticking around for the weekend would have been boss

3. Robert Johnson - All pop music, when boiled down, is derivative from him in terms of structure. Seeing him in a tiny bar, in the middle of the Delta somewhere would have been amazing

4. Bob Marley & The Wailers - I saw the Wailers supporting the Stone Roses, but to see Marley with them would have been something special, especially the Exodus tour.

5. Sex Pistols - Manchester Lesser Free Trade Hall 1976. Could be argued to be the most important gig on British soil considering the bands that were formed from the people in the audience. I'm only 24 so the Pistols have always been around, but to be alive when they surfaced would have been exhilarating.

Not to take it off topic but I'm not so sure that the Sex Pistols changed the world musically, I think that's a bit of a stretch for a manufactured boy band playing mainly I-IV-V chord progressions

Not to take it off topic but I'm not so sure that the Sex Pistols changed the world musically, I think that's a bit of a stretch for a manufactured boy band playing mainly I-IV-V chord progressions

Maybe they did not change the world musically as the music was intentionally simple (without taking anything away from Steve Jones who is a brilliant guitarist), but they did play a huge part in revitalising a large part of society that was laying dormant due to lots of things that were happening in society.

1. Love - never played outside LA while the original line up was together but had a residency at Bido Lito. 60'S LA scenesters, yes please. Or maybe just to have seen Arthur Lee play Forever Changes.

2. CSNY - Woodstock 1969. Shakey refused to be filmed so he is left out of all the videos, but seeing this and sticking around for the weekend would have been boss

3. Robert Johnson - All pop music, when boiled down, is derivative from him in terms of structure. Seeing him in a tiny bar, in the middle of the Delta somewhere would have been amazing

4. Bob Marley & The Wailers - I saw the Wailers supporting the Stone Roses, but to see Marley with them would have been something special, especially the Exodus tour.

5. Sex Pistols - Manchester Lesser Free Trade Hall 1976. Could be argued to be the most important gig on British soil considering the bands that were formed from the people in the audience. I'm only 24 so the Pistols have always been around, but to be alive when they surfaced would have been exhilarating.

Wasn't that the one with Mick Hucknall, Howard Devoto, Pete Shelley, Ian Curtis, Morrisey, Mark E Smith, Hazel O'Connor and Slaughter and the Dogs in attendance. Plus Marco, who went on to be guitarist in The Models and later, Adam and the Ants?

I was 16/17 at the time, and remember it well. Music needed at large kick up the rectum in the mid 1970's from the prog rock (which I like! ELP.... what a band) which dominated. The Pistols really spearheaded that sea change, and music did change in style, content and attitude afterwards. So I do think they changed the world musically, or at very least, led the vanguard of change. Opinion of course....

First off, what an EXCELLENT provocative and interesting thread! Brilliant stuff!

I will also now say I was at the Hendrix Isle of Wight show, however I was 3 and apparently taking a nap with my hippy parents wide-awake and grooving hahahaha. oh the cruelty! I will forever claim that I soaked in the vibes!!!!

Anyway…my first thoughts…

The Who - SF Cow Palace sometime in 69/70…when Moon had to be replaced by an audience member!!!!

Bowie - thin white duke tour 1978 and Ziggy Stardust tour 1973…pick ANY venue, I just wish I'd been there. Remains an enormous favorite!

The US Festival 1983 - Judas Priest…genre-defining performance, just superb

That Pistols gig in 76 at the Free Trade Hall…oh yes oh yes oh yes!

Pink Floyd - Animals or The Wall tours…again, pick a show, any show…

More later I'm sure...

Any Frank Zappa/MOI show.

I only discovered him around 99/00 (7 yrs after his death). :(

The Dweezil/Grandmothers shows are cool and all but...it's not the same.

Thank Christ he recorded pretty much all of them! :)

Any Frank Zappa/MOI show.

I only discovered him around 99/00 (7 yrs after his death). :(

The Dweezil/Grandmothers shows are cool and all but...it's not the same.

Thank Christ he recorded pretty much all of them! :)

My old man loves him, and loved him back then…Hot Rats was a constant growing up...

If I had to choose one it would be any 'Halloween' New York show 79-80.

...or a Flo and Eddie mid 70's show.

...or the original MOI line up show at Royal Albert Hall in the 60's. Mayhem.

Wasn't that the one with Mick Hucknall, Howard Devoto, Pete Shelley, Ian Curtis, Morrisey, Mark E Smith, Hazel O'Connor and Slaughter and the Dogs in attendance. Plus Marco, who went on to be guitarist in The Models and later, Adam and the Ants?

Yes and Bernard Sumner and Peter Hook

Maybe they did not change the world musically as the music was intentionally simple (without taking anything away from Steve Jones who is a brilliant guitarist), but they did play a huge part in revitalising a large part of society that was laying dormant due to lots of things that were happening in society.

I'm reading this at the moment

ripitup.jpg

The first chapter is a very interesting account of the end of the Pistols, Lydon and the beginnings of PiL.

I just missed out on the Smiths, I would have loved to have seen them on any tour.

I agree with Steff on the Pistols, Bowie and the Who. The Stooges and VUs would've been awesome, anything first time out will do me. I would have loved to have seen James Brown early, Little Richard must have seemed like he came from another planet in the mid-fifties, Otis Redding was meant to a brilliant performer so I will add the Stax Revue so I get Booker T & the MGs, Eddie Floyd, Sam & Dave and Carla and Rufus Thomas too.

I'm reading this at the moment

ripitup.jpg

The first chapter is a very interesting account of the end of the Pistols, Lydon and the beginnings of PiL.

Ah.... salad days! Spurs won the FA Cup twice and the UEFA Cup. We really were good then.....

1975 to 1985 was a pretty good period for music too. He goes dewey-eyed! The Pistols got it just right I think; crashed and burned just at the right time. Very rock 'n' roll. Not faded away. The Clash, Ramones, Slaughter and the Dogs, Skids, The Only Ones, Johnny Thunders Heartbreakers, with some **** hot rock tours then too. Thin Lizzy. UFO. Pat Travers. Leppard. Judas Priest. Motorhead. Saw them all, and a lot more. Never saw the Stone Roses or Oasis (later). Wish I had.

First off, what an EXCELLENT provocative and interesting thread! Brilliant stuff!

Glad you like....

I will also now say I was at the Hendrix Isle of Wight show, however I was 3 and apparently taking a nap with my hippy parents wide-awake and grooving hahahaha. oh the cruelty! I will forever claim that I soaked in the vibes!!!!

My mate was similar. ELP's first gig too? In support?

Anyway…my first thoughts…

The Who - SF Cow Palace sometime in 69/70…when Moon had to be replaced by an audience member!!!!

Seen it on TV. Hadn't Keith taken horse tranquilizers or something similar??!! What a nutter. He tried to get off with an 80 year old Mae West at a party, ****ed, apparently! Add Charlton FC gig 1974. A stunner, apparently.

Bowie - thin white duke tour 1978 and Ziggy Stardust tour 1973…pick ANY venue, I just wish I'd been there. Remains an enormous favorite!

Preferred the Diamond Dogs/Alladin Sane/Ziggy Stardust/Hunky Dory period myself. Wouldn't say no though. Creative genius musically - and performance - at the time.

The US Festival 1983 - Judas Priest…genre-defining performance, just superb

Judas Priest. Saw them on the Sin after Sin tour at the Top Rank. 1977? I had a tape of the whole concert, and it got nicked. Awesome live.

That Pistols gig in 76 at the Free Trade Hall…oh yes oh yes oh yes!

Just wish I had seen them. Anywhere....

Pink Floyd - Animals or The Wall tours…again, pick a show, any show…

Never seen them live. My loss. The Division Bell tour at Olympia (?) was stunning too. Download the 'Pulse' DVD from the net. Wow!

More later I'm sure...

You can bet on it!

no particular one but I'd have loved to have seen Ozzy before Randy Rhodes died

I did. First Blizzard of Oz tour, and they were excellent. Like a new lease of life for Ozzy at the time, after Sabbath. Randy Rhodes was a very, very good guitarist live. Only a little squirt of a bloke though! My sister met and knew him. Said he was a really nice bloke.

I did. First Blizzard of Oz tour, and they were excellent. Like a new lease of life for Ozzy at the time, after Sabbath. Randy Rhodes was a very, very good guitarist live. Only a little squirt of a bloke though! My sister met and knew him. Said he was a really nice bloke.

awesome, incredible guitarist

Back