• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/may/15/football-daily-email-arsenal

I know I said that I didn’t care about the press and bottling, but the contortions they are executing are impressive

Two things can be true at the same time - arsenal bottled it and Emirates Marketing Project are a machine. The pure facts are that if arsenal had picked up points they SHOULD have, Emirates Marketing Project couldn’t have caught up.

Whatever the ‘narrative’ we all know what happened, and Gooners the world over are feeling like absolute dog dirt right now.

I know I said that I didn’t care about the press and bottling, but the contortions they are executing are impressive

Two things can be true at the same time - arsenal bottled it and Emirates Marketing Project are a machine. The pure facts are that if arsenal had picked up points they SHOULD have, Emirates Marketing Project couldn’t have caught up.

Whatever the ‘narrative’ we all know what happened, and Gooners the world over are feeling like absolute dog dirt right now.

The MOST they can finish with is 87 points. We finished with 86 in 2016/17. Emirates Marketing Project have been chasing a treble. Chelsea had no European football that season. We didn't even top the table (to the best of my memory, if so, it was for a couple of weeks at most) yet we 'choked'...

'Brighton’s not entirely surprising humbling of Arsenal' Lol, what!?

The MOST they can finish with is 87 points. We finished with 86 in 2016/17. Emirates Marketing Project have been chasing a treble. Chelsea had no European football that season. We didn't even top the table (to the best of my memory, if so, it was for a couple of weeks at most) yet we 'choked'...

Exactly...Probably the result of Arsenal's presence in the media circles i guess (and not wanting to upset some poor crying Gooners who wont given some of these journos etc the right number of clicks - apart from Piers Morgan of course :))

My memory is we had a chance to go top when playing West Ham midweek (we lost) and then were "as it stands" top for a few minutes against Arsenal at the weekend,

we did choke, plain as day, yes we were never top, but we were chasing a championship team, everyone else in the league choked as well to be fair

what arsenal have done this season is on a level with that, they have been caught by a proper team at least, but they also had a much bigger lead

no superiority to be found here either way

My memory is we had a chance to go top when playing West Ham midweek (we lost) and then were "as it stands" top for a few minutes against Arsenal at the weekend,

You've got your season's muddled I think.

In 16/17 we won 12 of our last 13 games, the defeat was to West Ham but we wouldn't have gone top with a win. We beat Arsenal a few weeks before in that run. Chelsea 'only' won 11 of their last 13 and still beat us by 7 points!
We were excellent in that run in, but typically so we're Chelsea.

The Arsenal game where were top for a few minutes was the 15/16 season before Sanchez scuffed in an equaliser.

In 16/17 we won 12 of our last 13 games, the defeat was to West Ham but we wouldn't have gone top with a win. We beat Arsenal a few weeks before in that run. Chelsea 'only' won 11 of their last 13 and still beat us by 7 points!

The Arsenal game where were top for a few minutes was the 15/16 season before Sanchez scuffed in an equaliser.

Game against 10 men where Lloris should have saved Sanchez's shot.
Was watching in the pub when the tv signal went off, when it came back on Arse nearly scored from Ramsey IIRC but shot was blocked by Wimmer. We were top for about 10 mins ffs! :D

Yes, I was referring to the season Leicester won. That's the only one where people can claim we choked with any basis (although still unfairly), partly influenced by some horrendous results once Leicester had won. As you say it's a ridiculous claim the following season where an almost perfect finish never had us close to the lead.

for months, like 7 or 8, our whatsapp chat has had the gooners in full scale celebration mode, toning down to "it's still a good season we over achieved".

I cant fudging wait. i have been saving the messages, keeping receipts, i pray City get it over the line and then i'm going full scale nuclear red button in that chat.

Back