• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

I always worry about crowing over negative spirals but you have to wonder how they turn this around. There just doesn’t seem to be any strategy on or off the pitch regarding how they return the club to a top 4 side.

United, Pool, City and Chelsea (for now) can always turn things around because they can just throw money at the problem year after year.

The scum don't have that, they have always had a reasonably risky player strategy of buying low (by waiting till end of contracts) and paying high wages, despite their success of Wenger years they do not have the fan base of Pool or United, and the extended drop out of CL has hurt them. Their success was based on a momentary advantage (well positioned at beginning of PL/CL cash cow) plus the benefit of a then modern manager thinking (compared to rest of league) in conjunction with Dein's influence.

Add in, at the start of every season it's Us, Pool, City, Chelsea, United, Scum, Leicester and Everton (you could argue Wolves as well) fighting for 4 spots, it's really hard to see them returning to anything close to what they were.

Long may it continue

I always worry about crowing over negative spirals but you have to wonder how they turn this around. There just doesn’t seem to be any strategy on or off the pitch regarding how they return the club to a top 4 side.
They do have a lot of good young players. They also still enjoy very high income from sponsorship and match day revenue and have a huge fan base worldwide. They will be back in the (near) future seasons, maybe not as the second dominant force they were during Fergie’s Man Utd reign, but as a definite top 6 team.

I think what has happened over recent years is that the money in the PL is now so large that even the middle and lower ranking clubs are paying bigger wages than all clubs around the World other than 3 or 4 clubs in Spain, 4 or 5 in Italy and Germany and 1 in France. It means that even lower end PL clubs can attract top players from all over the World, with their now being much less of a quality gap between the haves and have nots. The CL money, just for qualifying used to be so big when compared to the PL money that the clubs in the CL at the time of inception had a massive advantage over the rest of the league, I think that advantage is now much less pronounced, due to PL growth outstripping the CL growth.

I'm still stunned by the general media support for Arteta?

While sacking the guy is obviously not going to solve all the problems at the club, having a completely inexperienced manager isn't helping, and isn't going to be a good thing if they do decide to do any kind of major rebuild.

The sheer idiocy of thinking Arteta, Ole (who for all his faults has managed for years) and Lampard are good choices for clubs fighting for top 6 in a highly competitive league that has Pep, Klopp and Jose in other top clubs, plus numerous experienced heads at mid-lower level clubs, still amazes me. It just gives you an automatic disadvantage and a "learning on the job" period that simply doesn't make sense (as well as accepting the unknown of how they adapt to the inevitable bad spells)
Have to say it's working out quite well for Chelsea. 5th now, just three points off the top. That's after getting to four last season with a transfer ban and losing Hazard. That would have been seen as good enough for most big name managers at this point.

United for all their problems aren't in that bad a place. Getting into the CL last season, now 5 points off the top with a game in hand.

It really is only Arsenal making a complete mess out of things.

Ozil's control is up in the summer, isn't it?

The way they're being run, they'll probably offer him a new one at 400k a week.

mental he's on that kind of contract, he's effectively an intern

If that's right, they're being run like a clown college. If they haven't got a clause that says something like "Results are brick, you get a minimal pay off", whoever negotiated the contract has no business being involved in any sort of business. Like you say, he's an intern. He was a massive gamble and for Woolwich to not put in a safety net is mind boggling.

Have to say it's working out quite well for Chelsea. 5th now, just three points off the top. That's after getting to four last season with a transfer ban and losing Hazard. That would have been seen as good enough for most big name managers at this point.

United for all their problems aren't in that bad a place. Getting into the CL last season, now 5 points off the top with a game in hand.

It really is only Arsenal making a complete mess out of things.

Chelsea works partially because the model is rinse and repeat the manager anyway.

With them, we will have to see at end of season, I was "meh" on Frank but being schooled by Arteta for the FA Cup last season set off some alarm bells for me (he avoided doing the same stupidity against us, i.e. overcommitting to the high line against a good counter attacking side) but I think they are winning most games purely on quality/depth of squad now (you would expect after a 200M+ summer).

Ole and Frank in my opinion are worse than Arteta in some ways, Arteta should be fired now (fail fast, experiment didn't work, move on), Ole and Frank will do just enough to keep their job and to keep the club from progressing. United, City and Chelsea spend so fudging much, you have to win something significant (league/europe), does anyone see United or Chelsea doing that?

Him or Mourinho would have been good moves last time around imo. They went for the gamble, they might not if they have to make another change again so quickly.

There's was talk of Arsenal courting Mourinho last autumn and Levy sacking Poch to avoid losing out on him.

United, Pool, City and Chelsea (for now) can always turn things around because they can just throw money at the problem year after year.

The scum don't have that, they have always had a reasonably risky player strategy of buying low (by waiting till end of contracts) and paying high wages, despite their success of Wenger years they do not have the fan base of Pool or United, and the extended drop out of CL has hurt them. Their success was based on a momentary advantage (well positioned at beginning of PL/CL cash cow) plus the benefit of a then modern manager thinking (compared to rest of league) in conjunction with Dein's influence.

Add in, at the start of every season it's Us, Pool, City, Chelsea, United, Scum, Leicester and Everton (you could argue Wolves as well) fighting for 4 spots, it's really hard to see them returning to anything close to what they were.

Long may it continue
We've done so well to disrupt that top 4 especially the way we have gone about it.

And what makes it even more pleasing is it's really been at Arsenal's expense.

Back