• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The General Transfer Rumours and Speculation Thread

Do you think "making do" is going to put more pressure on the likes of Kane and Alli, who have hardly had a break over the last couple of years, won't they and others have to play more games over the season?

I know that we tend to balance the books at the end of the transfer windows, but this might be a bit risky this time as others are spending and strengthening heavily.

Not sure its making do, probably a couple of things (personally I think we are light)

- Poch prefers to have a team spirit over options. Bench players have to be pushing for 1st team spot (e.g. Wimmer/Janssen/Winks) or comfortable as backup (Vorm).
- Due to the makeup of our team (under 25), I think we can expect fringe players to move on quickly (the Mason's/Carroll's/N'Jie's of the world should not spend more than a season or two on the bench), because our fringe is good enough to be starters at a lot of clubs.

Balance the books is an odd one, so many people focus on the net spend or stadium costs as some kind of barrier. The club income has gone up significantly and we have line of sight to more revenue still (CL, larger stadium, etc.)

The thing we don't know is, what is the club goals this season

- Cheat$ki/City/Manure have spent stupid money to strengthen squads that were already significantly better than ours.
- Scum & Pool have also made purchases, likely better than last season.

Do we try to spend a bit extra (knowing what those clubs have done), or do we continue to invest in right long term investments, with club/coach all being on same page that a 5th/6th place finish will not be a disaster or viewed as "bad" result as long as other signs of progress are made?

Re Kane/Alli, think Janssen helps, to me he should rotate between those two. We are short a goal scoring midfield option (Chadli out), but short answer = yes, they get playing time (more than they would have seen at almost any other similar level club), but the expectation to deliver is there.

Not sure its making do, probably a couple of things (personally I think we are light)

- Poch prefers to have a team spirit over options. Bench players have to be pushing for 1st team spot (e.g. Wimmer/Janssen/Winks) or comfortable as backup (Vorm).
- Due to the makeup of our team (under 25), I think we can expect fringe players to move on quickly (the Mason's/Carroll's/N'Jie's of the world should not spend more than a season or two on the bench), because our fringe is good enough to be starters at a lot of clubs.

Balance the books is an odd one, so many people focus on the net spend or stadium costs as some kind of barrier. The club income has gone up significantly and we have line of sight to more revenue still (CL, larger stadium, etc.)

The thing we don't know is, what is the club goals this season

- Cheat$ki/City/Manure have spent stupid money to strengthen squads that were already significantly better than ours.
- Scum & Pool have also made purchases, likely better than last season.

Do we try to spend a bit extra (knowing what those clubs have done), or do we continue to invest in right long term investments, with club/coach all being on same page that a 5th/6th place finish will not be a disaster or viewed as "bad" result as long as other signs of progress are made?

Re Kane/Alli, think Janssen helps, to me he should rotate between those two. We are short a goal scoring midfield option (Chadli out), but short answer = yes, they get playing time (more than they would have seen at almost any other similar level club), but the expectation to deliver is there.
Thanks for a reasoned response.
However, I would consider a 5/6 place finish or acceptance of such now as a lack of ambition, if not downright failure.
In terms of long term objectives, we are always claiming to be looking ahead, in football you are where you are and should be looking to improve.
If we finished 5th the Club would say we can't compete for top players as we do not have CL revenue or CL prestige, I don't think that would help to fill a 60k stadium.

Thanks for a reasoned response.
However, I would consider a 5/6 place finish or acceptance of such now as a lack of ambition, if not downright failure.
In terms of long term objectives, we are always claiming to be looking ahead, in football you are where you are and should be looking to improve.
If we finished 5th the Club would say we can't compete for top players as we do not have CL revenue or CL prestige, I don't think that would help to fill a 60k stadium.

Big difference between

- Are we competing for a top 4 spot? answer to that is absolutely
- Will we consider the season a failure if Cheat$ki/City/Manure settle quickly, put a gap between them and rest, and after competing well, showing progress we end up 5th behind one of Scum/other?

To me, a good CL run, a cup final or win and 5th with progress in team (meaning Kane/Alli/Eriksen/Lamela improve, Wanyama/Janssen fit in and perhaps one of the young players become more part/crucial to team) would not be a failure season. Not great, but not failure.

I don't think we can't compete for top players, I think the business model the club has decided on says we won't do what Manure, Pool and to some extent clubs like West Ham & Saudi Sportswashing Machine do, i.e. overpay on both cost & wages to attract players who aren't really attracted to the club itself ...

Busy day at Cheatscum. Kenedy to Watford and Remy to Palace makes it three players out on loan today.

The day my beloved Spurs starts throwing out money in the same was as Cheat$ki/City/Manure do i.e without no particual reason except from the fact that they CAN, I will really consider start supportin Wrexham instead.

The day my beloved Spurs starts throwing out money in the same was as Cheat$ki/City/Manure do i.e without no particual reason except from the fact that they CAN, I will really consider start supportin Wrexham instead.

Same here, i have always said that the day we get taken over by a bored billionaire and start throwing money around like Chelski/ City do/are is the day i finally walk away.

Same here, i have always said that the day we get taken over by a bored billionaire and start throwing money around like Chelski/ City do/are is the day i finally walk away.

It will happen, that's the way the game is going. New breed of supporters think differently and have more demanding expectations. It amazes me when I see so many young men in thier 20's at games at their age I would rather play for my clubs 5th team than go to a match.

Back