• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Blue & Yellow ITK Bonanza Thread

"The only thing that ever consoles man for the stupid things he does is the praise he always gives himself for doing them."

Jetset seems to think the case against him is weak and he'll get off. Also what is with this "gaol" phenomenon? Had never seen anyone spell jail like that until just recently.

Isn't gaol English and jail American?

GB, didn't you use to rate Remy and want him here to play wide forward and replace Lennon? What changed?

He would have been perfect for Redknapp's more direct/cavalier system.

But now under AVB we need more technical players who retain possession and use the ball intelligently.

So yes, I did want him two years ago, but don't think he'd suit us at all now.

No.. Jail is English.. I thought Gaol was french..

English generally takes more romance French-orientated version of words (hence the 's'-es), whereas American uses the Greek-orientated versions (the 'z'-s) - so French-looking versions are usually the UK one.

Gaol is definitly the more traditional English version - Oscar Wilde wrote his poem about Reading Gaol for instance.

English generally takes more romance French-orientated version of words (hence the 's'-es), whereas American uses the Greek-orientated versions (the 'z'-s) - so French-looking versions are usually the UK one.

Gaol is definitly the more traditional English version - Oscar Wilde wrote his poem about Reading Gaol for instance.

I was gonna say that. He was ITG or was it ITJ?

Gaol is definitely the more traditional English version - Oscar Wilde wrote his poem about Reading Gaol for instance.
This. Gaol's definitely a British English term, albeit one that's falling into disuse. From the OED:

Oxford English Dictionary said:
Middle English had two types, from Northern or Norman French, and Central or Parisian French respectively:

1) Middle English gay(h)ole , -ol , gayll(e , gaill(e , gayl(e , gaile , < Old Northern French gaiole , gayolle , gaole (modern Picard gayole , Walloon gaioule );

2) Middle English jaiole , jayle , jaile , jayll , < Old French jaiole , jaole , jeole , geole , cage, prison, French geôle prison (Besançon javiole cage for fowls) = obsolete Italian gaiola , Spanish gayola (also, < French jaula cage, cell), Portuguese gaiola cage < Romanic and popular Latin *gaviōla (medieval Latin gabiola , 1229 in Brachet) for *caveola , diminutive of cavea hollow, cavity, den, cage, coop: see cage n.

Of the two types, the Norman French and Middle English gaiole, gaole, came down to the 17th cent. as gaile, and still remains as a written form in the archaic spelling gaol (chiefly due to statutory and official tradition); but this is obsolete in the spoken language, where the surviving word is jail, repr. Old Parisian French and Middle English jaiole, jaile. Hence though both forms gaol, jail, are still written, only the latter is spoken.

In U.S. jail is the official spelling. It is difficult to say whether the form goale, common, alike in official and general use, from the 16th to the 18th cent., was merely an erroneous spelling of gaol, after this had itself become an archaism, or was phonetic: compare modern French geôle /ʒol/ .
So, a gayhole then.

Back on topic, then, I think we're going to have a bumper Monday with two signings unveiled in the new shirts. Makes for a powerful press release. No idea who the second might be, but I'm hoping for Villa.

Someone on COYS who knows a Spanish journalist based in Barcelona asked what the Spanish press thought of the chances of Villa joining. His mate apparently said I can do better than that, I know Villa's agent and sent him texts from the agent talking about Spurs and Fiorentina interest... this guy then asks his mate to ask the agent about us...apparently the reply was that he doesn't want to join a team that isn't in the Champions League.

Someone on COYS who knows a Spanish journalist based in Barcelona asked what the Spanish press thought of the chances of Villa joining. His mate apparently said I can do better than that, I know Villa's agent and sent him texts from the agent talking about Spurs and Fiorentina interest... this guy then asks his mate to ask the agent about us...apparently the reply was that he doesn't want to join a team that isn't in the Champions League.

thats that then

can someone text Gary Hooper and ask him if he wants to join a team that isn't in the Champions League

1) Fiorentina aren't in the CL either

2) Villa doesn't need CL at this stage in his career. He's had it all his career. Players getting to 25/26 who have no or limited experience of it move for CL (Carrick, Berbatov, Modric). Villa will move for i) first team football, ii) a new challenge and iii) a final payday before retirement

Back