• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - number 10, attacking midfielder, second striker

Who is the best #10, AM or second striker to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can someone tell me why I should vote for Gazza in this position? My earliest football memory is the 91 semi final (I sorta remember being at Norwich v Spurs in the late 80's, but don't remember the game at all).

90-91 was a great season for Gazza, but people are discounting the great season Bale had in his final year for us, so let's do the same for Gazza. From 88-90, what did he do for us to make him our best ever player in this position?

I'm sympathetic towards including Bale in this poll. He did play there (for longer than GB's half a season claim) and played very well there. I won't be voting for him though and don't think others should either.

A waste of time including Bale in this position. He is a shoe-in for LW and it would just be a waste to vote for him here imo.

A waste of time including Bale in this position. He is a shoe-in for LW and it would just be a waste to vote for him here imo.
I agree. But I can also understand people wanting to find a way to get Ginola into the side. Not me, personally, but we all have our favourites!

It would certainly be true if we were picking great players who once played for Spurs but I don't think that is a relevant argument when we are picking an all time best Spurs team.

Funny how goal posts are being defined. By the same argument - why should Bale be in the running for the LW position.

Funny how goal posts are being defined. By the same argument - why should Bale be in the running for the LW position.

We've had this discussion with most positions and I am sure that there will be a similar one when it comes to LW.

The question I would ask is what has Bale done for Spurs to make him worth picking above players who played in the position for longer?

Ginola on the left, Bale behind the striker. The two of them can swap positions willy nilly.

Van der Vaart should also get a mention for me.

Ginola??? Are you serous?

He is exactly the epitome of what was wrong with Spurs in the 90s!! All flash & showboating but no spine and end product - at least when it mattered. Fine for a mazy run and goal against a second or third division team in the cups but when it came to the crunch games - against the top sides or the final against Leicester??? anonymous!

If he get's into a best ever 11 ahead of Bale, it will be the biggest travesty of them all.

As for Van der Vaart... as already mentioned; decent player but no way fit to lace the boots of the like of Gazza or Teddy!

I'd be interested in hearing the views on whether we should include Bale from some people who have not expressed an opinion yet.

We've had this discussion with most positions and I am sure that there will be a similar one when it comes to LW.

The question I would ask is what has Bale done for Spurs to make him worth picking above players who played in the position for longer?

If he was better than them(hypothetically), why should the number of games played make a difference?

He is exactly the epitome of what was wrong with Spurs in the 90s!! All flash & showboating but no spine and end product - at least when it mattered. Fine for a mazy run and goal against a second or third division team in the cups but when it came to the crunch games - against the top sides or the final against Leicester??? anonymous!

If he get's into a best ever 11 ahead of Bale, it will be the biggest travesty of them all.

As for Van der Vaart... as already mentioned; decent player but no way fit to lace the boots of the like of Gazza or Teddy!

thats not the Ginola I remember, there was plenty of end product, he was regularly the only end product we had

I love Bale, but he isn't at the level of Dyson or Jones imo
Interesting.

Thankfully Jones has already secured his place on the right so we're not obliged to make a choice on that one, but when it comes to Dyson vs Bale I'd have to take issue.

Don't want to diminish Dyson's outstanding contribution in any way, he was a brilliant little winger who regularly flew down the wing, beat his opponents with skill and trickery then emerged to put a superb cross over from the corner flag for the likes of Bobby Smith and Cliff Jones to latch onto.

But whilst he also managed to score more than his share of goals and there was a lot more to his game besides, for me he had neither the range of dazzling skills nor the exceptional all-round game that Bale possesses.

So there you go, I've thrown down the gauntlet. Look forward to reading your case for the defence. ;)

If he was better than them(hypothetically), why should the number of games played make a difference?

I am gobsmacked. So if Cannavaro was to spend two seasons here in his prime, he would be rated worse than Jan who spent longer? Are we picking a best 11 based on talent /ability or loyalty to Spurs?

Teddy has more ability than van der Vaart? WHAT!! I disagree strongly!!

Interesting.

Thankfully Jones has already secured his place on the right so we're not obliged to make a choice on that one, but when it comes to Dyson vs Bale I'd have to take issue.

Don't want to diminish Dyson's outstanding contribution in any way, he was a brilliant little winger who regularly flew down the wing, beat his opponents with skill and trickery then emerged to put a superb cross over from the corner flag for the likes of Bobby Smith and Cliff Jones to latch onto.

But whilst he also managed to score more than his share of goals and there was a lot more to his game besides, for me he had neither the range of dazzling skills nor the exceptional all-round game that Bale possesses.

So there you go, I've thrown down the gauntlet. Look forward to reading your case for the defence. ;)

Kept the exceptional Jones off his favoured left flank.
Scored 17 goals for the greatest ever club side as they won the "impossible" double.
Scored in the double clinching FA Cup final.
Scored (twice, with dazzling skill, his first is in the dictionary next to bamboozle) in the final of the first English continental success.
Only man to get a hat trick in our colours against the nomads.

Big game player, did it time and time again, i'll reiterate, how good must you be, if Bill Nicholson comes to the conclusion that Cliff Jones needs to play somewhere else to make way for you...

I am gobsmacked. So if Cannavaro was to spend two seasons here in his prime, he would be rated worse than Jan who spent longer? Are we picking a best 11 based on talent /ability or loyalty to Spurs?

Look at the 8 already selected
GK - Jennings
RB - Perryman
CB - King
CB - Mabbutt
LB - Knowles
CM - Hoddle
CM - Mackay
RWF - Jones

They are all Spurs. They will all be remembered as Spurs players by the world of football and at their peak played for Spurs.

VdV will be remembered as an Ajax/Hamburg player and maybe by some as that guy who hit his wife and went off with his best mates ex.
Your mate Sol who you voted for as best Spurs centre half will be remember as Gooner Scum.

It is a consideration and one that some people are taking into consideration when voting.

I am open to including Bale in this poll but I am asking people to make a case. What is the case for including him?

Scored 17 goals for the greatest ever club side as they won the "impossible" double.
Scored (twice, with dazzling skill, his first is in the dictionary next to bamboozle) in the final of the first English continental success.

Big game player, did it time and time again, i'll reiterate, how good must you be, if Bill Nicholson comes to the conclusion that Cliff Jones needs to play somewhere else to make way for you...

It's a very, very strong case. You will need to make it again when we get to his position.

I can only applaud that response, wouldn't argue with any of it.

Would still prefer Bale though.:p

Back