• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The 'are Tottenham Hotspur too nice' debate

thfcsteff

Terry Dyson
I thought it could be interesting to discuss this in light of the latest (false) Bale furor and subsequent debate in the Bale thread.

The modern game has become increasingly rife with faster players, stronger players, a faster game, more rules against tackling and the like plus greater analysis than ever before.
Every moment is played out, any potential moment is morphed into a mini-controversy.
Refs are under enormous pressure to make the right decisions, and more often than not, get it right, BUT like us al, they read the papers and hear the TV/radio. They become unwittingly influenced. Managers learn how to use those 60 seconds to influence matters if they feel it can be done, and friends of managers/players will feed stories to the papers.

It has been my opinion for several years that we have been far too soft when it's come to defending ourselves both on and off the pitch. Last season, I'd have been delighted if we'd taken a managerial touchline ban to complain about the two acts of thuggery at Eastlands and the disgraceful performance of Foy at Stoke. I was DELIGHTED with both Rafa and Joe Jordan in Milan against AC as I think we showed them that they could not get away with that sort of cheap rubbish. We defended ourselves. Jordan is a hero for that night forever! This season, I feel strongly that we should've been out there defending Bale at the first tilt, drawing attention TOWARDS the intent of those who play against him as opposed to being left dealing with trying to defend him in the aftermath of 'controversy'.

One of the biggest silences this season took place at the deathstar. A stupid challenge by Adebayor, that is undeniable. But clearly there was a massive overreation from Cazorla, which was supplemented by Wheelchair getting in the ref's face. Why do we not speak about those acts as being unhelpful? Why do we not point out that Cazorla was actually fine? Why do we not point out that Wheelchair had a hand on Bale? Instead we retreated away quietly.

I think we all agree that a sense of good behavior and honor is a fine thing, but I'd also like to see a little more 'instant' leadership out there and a little more 'post-match defense'. I think AVB has generally been excellent post-match, save the odd bizarre comment, and am hopeful that he will be prepared to build on his Bale comments if the nonsense goes on. But I'd like to see a few more of our players defending our interests on the pitch too. It's no coincidence to me that Man U, Chelsea and L'Arse get consistently huge home decisions; they have pressure refs for years and years. It's not the nicest thing, but it's been going on forever.

So. Are we too nice as a football club? Discuss?

I've made this point on here for years tbh. "A team full of pussies with no heart" is what i referred our crop of players as, and that was partly why i really wanted us to sign Craig Bellamy when we were linked (plus i really rated him). Gallas and Adebayor are 2 players that won't let a referee screw us over without letting him know or stand up to the opposition players and maybe Sandro too but bar that we don't have many 'fighters' (not literally). Parker is a big fighter too that won't let our team get screwed over. It's no coincidence that 3 players i really stressed we should sign were Ade, Parker and Bellamy.

I don't want us to become like some of those other clubs that are constantly harassing the ref or have players that do all kinds of dirty tricks. Of course, the refs don't get any help from the Federation of Incompetence that is FIFA. Wouldn't take much to massively improve the game.

One of our best players avoids challenges and he has the ops heartfelt supportv to carry on doing so.

Why don't we start there and move on to bullying officials later.

I've made this point on here for years tbh. "A team full of pussies with no heart" is what i referred our crop of players as, and that was partly why i really wanted us to sign Craig Bellamy when we were linked (plus i really rated him). Gallas and Adebayor are 2 players that won't let a referee screw us over without letting him know or stand up to the opposition players and maybe Sandro too but bar that we don't have many 'fighters' (not literally). Parker is a big fighter too that won't let our team get screwed over. It's no coincidence that 3 players i really stressed we should sign were Ade, Parker and Bellamy.

Indeed, and I remember when we first went for Bellamy thinking the same. I think Harry addressed it to a degree with Parker, and it is why I think Gallas is good because he's a winner in all senses. It's funny because it is a question which has come up over the years. I always felt we should be much more , err, 'pro-active?' with refs? It is, TBH, one thing I hate seeing sides do, but I think I hate watching us NOT do it even more!!!!

I don't want us to become like some of those other clubs that are constantly harassing the ref or have players that do all kinds of dirty tricks. Of course, the refs don't get any help from the Federation of Incompetence that is FIFA. Wouldn't take much to massively improve the game.

My heart feels like your first sentence. My head says I'm sick of watching us get f ucked over for not doing so. It's tough...looking forward to more comments hopefully...

We are and thats why players like Sandro and Parker are important. Theyre not ****s and dont backchat the ref but they play with some rugged determination etc.

Theyre not nice in a ****ish sort of way but theyre not nice to play against because they play hard but fair.

I dont want us to have in our squad the true ****s like Terry

We are and thats why players like Sandro and Parker are important. Theyre not ****s and dont backchat the ref but they play with some rugged determination etc.

Theyre not nice in a ****ish sort of way but theyre not nice to play against because they play hard but fair.

I dont want us to have in our squad the true ****s like Terry

Are you seriously suggesting we should go in for play-acting, cheating and bullying? If so what the xxxx is the point of it all? The day the club decides to routinely adopt aggressive tactics such as getting into the face of the ref in order to swing the big decisions in our favour a-la Man U, Arse and Chelsea is the day I lose interest and look for another club to support.

If we are 'too nice', ie sportsmanlike, then that is something we should be hugely proud of.

I must admit there was a part of me that wished Modric had got involved when Balotelli did Parker. He was right fudging there!!

Ya know, head butted his knees or something.

Apart from Chelsea (and that's changing) how many teams are c*ntish like the old days? I'm not bothered by it as much as I used to be tbh.

apparently, the players have been told that the club wants to win the fair play award again to get us into Europe...

Its a game, its about glory.

Dave Mackay and Graham Paul Roberts were two very hard men who played for Spurs, i think they would have nothing but contempt for moaners. Use injustice as a spur and stay classy.

If the choice is between being to nice, or having characters like Terry on our team, I know what I'd choose.

In fact, the traditions of fair play is one of the reasons why I'm proud to be a Spurs fan!

You can have fair play principles, but also back-up your players when they are getting assaulted on the pitch, i.e. NOT BE BUNCH OF PUSSIES.

When Bale gets clattered by people such as Phil Neville or Charlie Adam, I want some of our big units in their faces saying 'wtf do you think you're doing???'
I want Sandro, Parker, Gallas etc giving that player a hard but fair challenge shortly after in retrobution. I don't want to see Modric's pussyboy reaction to Ballotelli's stamp like in January. I want Lescott next time he plays us to get an 'accidental elbow in the face' during an aerial challenge.

Grrrrr...we are often too mucgh a bunch of pussie. Now we have a lot of big units in the side I hope we now physically and verbally stand up for ourselves - NO EXCUSES NOW!:twisted:

Are you seriously suggesting we should go in for play-acting, cheating and bullying? If so what the xxxx is the point of it all? The day the club decides to routinely adopt aggressive tactics such as getting into the face of the ref in order to swing the big decisions in our favour a-la Man U, Arse and Chelsea is the day I lose interest and look for another club to support.

If we are 'too nice', ie sportsmanlike, then that is something we should be hugely proud of.

Hmm...I think you missed the point here. It's more like we should at least defend our right and self interest. Not exactly trying to gain an unfair advantage.

Not quite what I was asking (let alone suggesting) at all mate. Hopefully on a re-read, that will be clear? ;)
With regards to the ref, I'm saying we should make absolutely sure (just like other sides do) that we defend ourselves and our 'turf' so-to-speak. I was saddened by how few of our players were on the scene as quickly as Wheelchair in the derby. In fact, there can be no better example of what I'm suggesting we need a bit more of than the reaction to that foul Flamini 'challenge' from both the team and Joe Jordan! It lets people know we will not be pushed around. I'd like more of that.

Back