• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Annual Tottenham Hotspur Striker Search: January 2015 Edition

IIRC Morata was sold to Juventus over the summer and Jese is still recovering from a cruciate injury (?). Besides that, Jese is more of a left footed wing forward. The lad has great skills and prior to his injury he was looking capable of keeping Bale out of the side. The Madrid fans dislike Bale it seems and prefer Jese but how he'll be after that injury is anyones guess.

IIRC Morata was sold to Juventus over the summer and Jese is still recovering from a cruciate injury (?). Besides that, Jese is more of a left footed wing forward. The lad has great skills and prior to his injury he was looking capable of keeping Bale out of the side. The Madrid fans dislike Bale it seems and prefer Jese but how he'll be after that injury is anyones guess.

I can't believe, for a moment, that the Real Madrid fans dislike Bale..yeah, he's been terrible, hasn't he?! Hasn't at all scored key goals in all Cup Finals?! Noooo

I can't believe, for a moment, that the Real Madrid fans dislike Bale..yeah, he's been terrible, hasn't he?! Hasn't at all scored key goals in all Cup Finals?! Noooo

Bales problem there will always be his passport and profile. They love superstar foreign players or Spanish homegrown. You have to be either Beckham/C Ronaldo or Casillas/Raul to be untouchable there.

Bales problem there will always be his passport and profile. They love superstar foreign players or Spanish homegrown. You have to be either Beckham/C Ronaldo or Casillas/Raul to be untouchable there.

Not sure Id agree with the passport piece... Bales problem (at the moment) is the same issue that has blighted a lot of British players who have gone overseas... Failure or unwillingness to adapt to a different culture.

He doesn't speak Spanish well enough even though he has been there for over a year and as a consequence is not as integrated with his non English speaking team mates as he should be. Similarly, in the media and his interactions with the Spanish public, he comes across as dull and for the Spaniards a bit listless with the whole image only exasperated by him needing to have someone translating.

Added to that the fact he is playing out of position, is not the main man like he was at Spurs and has been poor this season means that despite his Spanish cup final and champions league finals goals, it is fair to say that people in Madrid expected more for their 85 million pounds and as such are a little disappointed with Bale.

Just to add a little weight to what I am suggesting, Macca was a legend at Madrid with a 5th of the talent Bale has, yet his chirpy scouse demeanour and mostly the fact that he learned the lingo, meant people took to him and embraced him and he is still today remembered very fondly.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Not sure Id agree with the passport piece... Bales problem (at the moment) is the same issue that has blighted a lot of British players who have gone overseas... Failure or unwillingness to adapt to a different culture.

He doesn't speak Spanish well enough even though he has been there for over a year and as a consequence is not as integrated with his non English speaking team mates as he should be. Similarly, in the media and his interactions with the Spanish public, he comes across as dull and for the Spaniards a bit listless with the whole image only exasperated by him needing to have someone translating.

Added to that the fact he is playing out of position, is not the main man like he was at Spurs and has been poor this season means that despite his Spanish cup final and champions league finals goals, it is fair to say that people in Madrid expected more for their 85 million pounds and as such are a little disappointed with Bale.

Just to add a little weight to what I am suggesting, Macca was a legend at Madrid with a 5th of the talent Bale has, yet his chirpy scouse demeanour and mostly the fact that he learned the lingo, meant people took to him and embraced him and he is still today remembered very fondly.

Sent from my Dollarbird using White-eyed foliage-gleaner

Very insightful. Being so close to Italy we obviously get lots of Campionato coverage and players from Africa and even Eastern Europe are giving interviews in Italian in no time.

What is so difficult about learning the language of the country you are playing in? It's not as if players like Bale cannot afford a private language tutor or don't have time on their hands... plus he does not look as much a dunce as the average player.

Very insightful. Being so close to Italy we obviously get lots of Campionato coverage and players from Africa and even Eastern Europe are giving interviews in Italian in no time.

What is so difficult about learning the language of the country you are playing in? It's not as if players like Bale cannot afford a private language tutor or don't have time on their hands... plus he does not look as much a dunce as the average player.

I agree with you, he's a smart guy and should grasp it. From what I have heard, it's a confidence thing with the language and that he is trying.

Spain is different as the slogan goes, and I guess for a young welsh lad who seemed quite settled with wife and young kid and probably used to a British way of life, the Madrid circus takes a lot of getting used to. Added to that, eating times are different, team bonding is much less prevalent in Spain than in the UK, games are played at 9 and in the cup 10 0 clock and, the media interest from TV, Radio and newspapers is like nothing he will have seen before, and I'd reckon it's all a bit tough.

I think he will come good and integrate as time goes on and while Jese is a real prospect, Bale is seen by the fans, at lest those who I interact with, as almost playing within himself and a little inhibited, but also as someone who has the potential to be the next Ronaldo. Ironically it is no coincidence that last season his best games in the league came when Ronaldo sat it out for one reason or another and Bale had more freedom to do what Ronaldo does. When CR7 plays Bale keeps it simpler and as a consequence doesn't shine. All in good time I think.

As for THFC, and keeping with the Madrid theme, could Poch be capable of moulding a Benzema type 9 out of Harry Kane e.g he works for the team and enables the likes of Ronaldo, James and Bale to shine. I think Kane is that kind of 9 and with Eriksen, Chadli and Lamella being brought into the came via clever link up/holding play from Kane, the goals could come. Ronaldo has 25 goals in league already and regularly calls out Karim Benzema as the guy who makes it most happen for him. Looking at Kane I genuinely see shades of Benzema and with Poch you never know...

I agree with you, he's a smart guy and should grasp it. From what I have heard, it's a confidence thing with the language and that he is apparently trying, including availing of a personal language teacher. In my own experience, it was immersing myself in the culture and learning about Spain and the Spanish way of life that had the biggest impact on me being able to learn the language.

"Spain is different" as the slogan goes and I guess for a young Welsh lad, who seemed quite settled with a wife and young kid and probably used to a British way of life, Spanish culture and the Madrid "circus" takes a lot of getting used to. Some examples of that include; eating times are different, team bonding is much less prevalent in Spain than it is in the UK, games are played at 9pm and in the cup 10 pm and the media interest from TV, Radio and newspapers is like nothing he will have seen before, and all in all I'd reckon it's all a bit tough for him and as a consequence he probably keeps himself to himself and family, which for him brings with it a sense of "normality" and the familiar.

I still think he will come good and gradually start integrate more fully as time goes on and while Jese is a real prospect, Bale is seen by the fans, at least those who I interact with, as almost playing within himself and a little inhibited, but also as someone who has the potential to be the next Ronaldo. Ironically it is no coincidence that last season his best games in the league came when Ronaldo sat it out for one reason or another and Bale had more freedom to do what Ronaldo does. When CR7 plays Bale keeps it simpler and as a consequence doesn't shine. All in good time I think.

As for THFC, but keeping with the Madrid theme, could Poch be capable of moulding a Benzema type 9 out of Harry Kane e.g he works for the team and enables the likes of Ronaldo, James and Bale to shine. I think Kane is that kind of 9 and with Eriksen, Chadli and Lamella being brought into the came via clever link up/holding play from Kane, the goals could come. Ronaldo has 25 goals in league already and regularly calls out Karim Benzema as the guy who makes it most happen for him. Looking at Kane I genuinely see shades of Benzema and with Poch there to coach and nurture, you never know...

Last edited:
In virtually every country in the world having another language is seen as a massive advantage to either getting a job or emigrating, here modern British employers are short sighted and population couldn't give a toss about speaking another language as all the foreigners do!

In virtually every country in the world having another language is seen as a massive advantage to either getting a job or emigrating, here modern British employers are short sighted and population couldn't give a toss about speaking another language as all the foreigners do!

Same in the US to be fair ..

Truth is, business language of the last 100 years has been English, people from countries where English isn't native know that to improve their global reach they have to learn another language. With English as your native, you can get away with it as a single language (I agree that we should put more emphasis on languages)

Same in the US to be fair ..

Truth is, business language of the last 100 years has been English, people from countries where English isn't native know that to improve their global reach they have to learn another language. With English as your native, you can get away with it as a single language (I agree that we should put more emphasis on languages)

Is also easier for foreign nationals because they can speak their language and English. Where as when I did a little travelling I went to Italy through Germany and Belgium and France and in each country I was asked why I did not speak their language. Where as a Swedish person in Germany or Italy could just use the international language of English and it would be acceptable. Really your on a hiding to nothing as Englishman.

For the record I speak a little Latvian which is similar to German.

My friend was telling me about a holiday she was on in Spain. Her and her husband got on a bus and tried their hardest to speak Spanish to the bus driver, using a phrase book. The bus driver wasn't too helpful but they got the job done. The next people to get on were a Dutch couple who just spoke English to the bus driver and got on with no trouble.

I try really hard abroad with the local language, more often than not (in Spain/Italy/France, and especially Germany) I get a smile and a perfect English response

Yup, I can't understand half of the conversations on here..and to then have to try to comprehend the bird chat too..it's too much! ;)

Back